• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat 2018?

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
The Mtn Cat model is certainly very popular also,,,,as many people are also upgrading there exisiting sleds to match...

R

RiotCountry

Jul 11, 2010
Minneapolis
Also, don't forget the massive government contract Polaris landed a few years back which essentially has driven their double digit growth numbers. I agree Cat cutting dealers is going to have an adverse impact on their earnings. Hope they figure that out... They also need to work on marketing and expand their offering outside the consumer market.

Also they need to start regulating the pricing that Country Cat offers, those prices have literally disintegrated the used market as well as the hold over market for most dealers who are stuck with aged inventory year in and year out.... It's not helping matters.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I don't think it's upset dealers poor product or bad customer service that does in cat. I think it is no secret that Polaris are wizards with marketing and ski-doo is the kleenex brand of the industry.

Cat has had nothing short of a piss poor advertising campaign since 2005. Following a race circuit and the success of one rider is not marketing. It's just chasing a far in a windstorm.

If cat wants to regain market share, they need to draw back premier backcountry riders, and get their "pros" the drive the name back to support the product the actually do provide. I have riden all 3 recent 2 strokes ( other than the gen4 doo) and cat does offer, IMO, the best offering in the mountain segment.

The axys may be lighter, but feels heavier. The doo motor may be more efficient and clean... but it feels flat and cat does have the best suspension.

i think you may be missing my point , if the dealers can't make money selling the cat product there won't be anyone around to sell it , and cat will lose market share and profit that's why cat must treat them better . p/s motorfist is a great brand i am glad they have them.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I have riden all 3 recent 2 strokes ( other than the gen4 doo) and cat does offer, IMO, the best offering in the mountain segment.

The axys may be lighter, but feels heavier. The doo motor may be more efficient and clean... but it feels flat and cat does have the best suspension.[/QUOTE]

I don't know where u ride but we had a lifetime cat guy snow check a 17 axys after last year in CO. He was stuck consistently on his 14 cat and the pro's were driving circles around him.

Another guy that has a 15 cat got so mad he couldn't make it up the hill the doo's and poo's were climbing that he shut his sled off and watched at the bottom. I can supply names and phone numbers of both these guys.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
I have riden all 3 recent 2 strokes ( other than the gen4 doo) and cat does offer, IMO, the best offering in the mountain segment.

The axys may be lighter, but feels heavier. The doo motor may be more efficient and clean... but it feels flat and cat does have the best suspension.

I don't know where u ride but we had a lifetime cat guy snow check a 17 axys after last year in CO. He was stuck consistently on his 14 cat and the pro's were driving circles around him.

Another guy that has a 15 cat got so mad he couldn't make it up the hill the doo's and poo's were climbing that he shut his sled off and watched at the bottom. I can supply names and phone numbers of both these guys.[/QUOTE]

I can see that, bbbuuuttttt its been covered on here 1000 plus times that it's not even a fair comparison between the 15 and older cats to the 16 and newer. They are honestly that much better. I haven't rode the 17 yet been t they are said to perform a good bit better also. We have several of the other brands in my group, mostly axys sleds tho, and my lone 16 cat. Not one person who has rode mine has had any negative feedback. I'm a 15+ year Polaris guy with lifelong best friends at our local Polaris dealership. Trust me when I say that there is a reason I ride a 16 cat and it's not for esses and gees

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I'll have to try and ride a 16 or 17 cat this season it must be night and day difference between that and the older ones.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I can't see the point of adding 50cc over 800? If you make new engine, then add more. The current engine is rock solid and works good. I'd like to see the big twin (1000cc) again but improved lightweight HO version of it :)

And yes, the plastics needs update. They are old (event cat still looks best of them all), big and heavy. Chassis is good so no major improvement needed there.

I'd say facelift model (new lighter plastics) with improved big twin would be nice :)

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I'll have to try and ride a 16 or 17 cat this season it must be night and day difference between that and the older ones.

Couldn't have given me a 15 cat after demoing them. After riding both a 16 cat and an axys it was an easy decision the cat rides equally easy and is 5 times more solid. There really is no comparison and the mountain cat is another step ahead.

Alright that was dramatic I would take a free 15 cat if anyone is offering but it will be getting some upgrades before it touches the snow.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
You would think they would learn eventually. I was a die hard Cat fan when I first got into sleds again in the early 1990's. I know three of our local smaller town dealers went Tango Uniform (at least with sleds) because Cat was making them buy X-number of sleds every year and a lot of those were models that wouldn't sell in their market area. I had a lot of bad luck with two Cat's in a row so I bailed on them. My family was pure Cat ATV's and UTV's until they started having bad luck with them so they bailed and went to other brands. I think they need to take a step back and a long hard look at their product and their customer base.....

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Ive said it many times... take a 17 cat and install a jaws pipe and controller and no other 2 stroke will be anywhere near that sled. Go and pipe pol or doo and the same gains are not there. The cat 800 is amazing with just a good pipe. Stock the 17 cat will be right there , it will come down to the rider. The 850 doo remains to be seen but my guess is that it will be impressive.

Reactions: RACINSTATION
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
polaris stock- $90/share

cat stock- $15/share

polaris is killing arctic cat in all segments. its sad, you hate to see a company with such history going down the shi*ter. but its self inflicted, as another person stated,biting the hand that feeds you(dealers) defies explanation. Cat is hanging on by a thread and it wont be long til yamaha steps in and buys em dirt cheap

Yamaha will not buy Arctic Cat, no way. Free steak dinner to Paul Harris if it happens.

M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
Cat needs to re-design their website. Polaris site is way better and easier to use. Cat's is plain and boring. Polaris is a marketing company that happens to be in the Motorsports industry. Arctic Cat is a Motorsports company that happens to do some marketing.

T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
Not saying this is the only reason why cat dealers are going away but I know a big issue is if you want to sell cat you have to sell the 4 wheelers and side by sides as well. Hard to sell a cat wheeler or side by side when you have a Polaris razor and Polaris wheeler sitting right next to it. I've been told this first hand by a owner out west that's very reputable known.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Not saying this is the only reason why cat dealers are going away but I know a big issue is if you want to sell cat you have to sell the 4 wheelers and side by sides as well. Hard to sell a cat wheeler or side by side when you have a Polaris razor and Polaris wheeler sitting right next to it. I've been told this first hand by a owner out west that's very reputable known.

Why is that? Cause people heard that Polaris is better?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Their wheeled stuff is a tough sell. Certain models are weirdly expensive, others pretty junky and yes...not as good or desireable as Polaris...or Honda...or BRP...or Yamaha. Highest reconditioning costs when you take them on trade compared to any other brand. Open a Cat shop and give er a try if anyone thinks that's innaccurate...very easy to get a Cat franchise these days. Step up to the plate and take a swing!

Last edited:

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho

The assertion that the '14 or '15 Cat isn't competitive with a Pro or XM reflects some ignorance. I've owned them all, not just ridden them. I ride with Pros day in and day out and while they are all different with strengths and weaknesses they are on par with each other starting in about '14. That's based on thousands of miles of riding in all kinds of conditions not one day with some dude who may or may not of had his sled set up right etc. I'd give the Pro the edge in bottomless stuff over 30" deep and the steepest of side hills but that's a marginal difference on a rare day. The cats shine in many other ways and snow conditions.

Reactions: Betterview and Vern

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
I don't have the personal experience answer for that. That's what I was told by a dealer that sells cat and Polaris. I do know Polaris sportsman 500 outsells every other 4 wheeler manufacture put together tho.

Very common to hear this from a shop that sales both brands.
Polaris wheeled vehicles have always been good sellers.
Why try to sale another brand when this one is selling so well? They sale a ton of RZR's even with not having the best track record.

B
Dec 12, 2014
You could not have hit the nail on the head more accurately. Arctic Cat needs to step above ski-doo and come out with something better than them instead of just following in their footsteps. they also need adjustable clickers for elevation. Skidoo has the better sled by far for 2017. Cat needs to step up. They need to drop a little weight and bring something with more power than skidoo as well as efficiency as the gen4 etec.

Last edited:
Premium Features