• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any ridable snow in northern mn

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Looks like they got 8-10" in the Ash River area. They might be able to begin panning the trails. Pretty slim.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Trails are groomed around Voyaguers National Park. We put on 100 miles yesterday. Lakes are moguled from wind and the lake trails are staked, but not groomed. Need more snow, but the groomers have done a great job with what they have on the ground. 6 out of 10.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I talked to a guy that rode the ALS ride the end of January and he said the trails were quite good north of Two Harbors. I heard they got about 10"-12" of new snow since then. Snowmobile meeting tonight. Maybe I will learn something.

N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
Has anyone been on the north shore trail within the last couple days from two harbors east? Thinking about a next week ride, not much snow predicted over the next week or so

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Has anyone been on the north shore trail within the last couple days from two harbors east? Thinking about a next week ride, not much snow predicted over the next week or so

You can't go east of Two Harbors. :face-icon-small-hap
I rode to my snowmobile meeting last night. Hermantown and Reservoir riders were just groomed. I was the first one on both of them. DNR site and the reports I am getting are good north of Two Harbors and better north of Silver Bay. I would look at Finland Isabella areas and up to Grand Marais. Might head up this weekend but it's not suppose to get above zero on Saturday. This winter sucks! :face-icon-small-sad Snowing here right now.

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Wondering if anyone has an update for the NE / Grand Marais area. Might be bringing 6 sleds up this Friday, but have not been there before. Would like to know best places to stay and ride. Any info is appreciated.

We're also considering the UP area..........looks like they've got more snow.....just need to decide and load up the sleds...:face-icon-small-dis

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Thursday Sunny and cold, with a high near 5. Wind chill values between -25 and -35. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -10. Wind chill values between -15 and -25. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Friday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 16. South wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday Night A 20 percent chance of snow before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 12.
Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -13.
Sunday Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 4.

You won't find it as crowded here as you may in MI.
The DNR is suppose to update trail reports every Thursday I believe.

http://www.voyageursnowmobile.com/
http://conditions.visitcookcounty.com/snowmobile/

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Thanks guys for the info. Our group disbanded for the weekend going in separate directions, but my wife and I are coming over Friday for the weekend. We'll be staying in Tofte, not my first choice but one of the few places we could still get a room. Somewhat centrally located so we can head most any direction from there.
Hopefully I'll be posting some good results before the weekend is over.
Not real familiar with the area so if anyone has suggestions on best places to eat and best places to fuel up I'm all ears.

Thanks again for the info.:face-icon-small-hap

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Thanks guys for the info. Our group disbanded for the weekend going in separate directions, but my wife and I are coming over Friday for the weekend. We'll be staying in Tofte, not my first choice but one of the few places we could still get a room. Somewhat centrally located so we can head most any direction from there.
Hopefully I'll be posting some good results before the weekend is over.
Not real familiar with the area so if anyone has suggestions on best places to eat and best places to fuel up I'm all ears.

Thanks again for the info.:face-icon-small-hap

If in Tofte you want to go to the Trestle Inn at Crooked Lake Resort, it's not far from there and is really a neat place. They have pay at the pump to if needed.
If your low on snow in Tofte you can trailer north a few miles and drop off at the parking lot on the North Shore Trail. From there you have a lot of options. Knotted Pine Inn in Isabella (fuel) and Our Place in Finland (fuel) are nice places just to name a few. Also Lutesen and the Gunflint Trail to the north. I heard they have more snow. But I can't say for sure. On your drive up or on the way home try out the Rustic Inn and Cafe in Castle Danger. If you love pie and great food give that a try.
It's been a few years since I was up there so I hope my info is not outdated.
http://www.trestleinn.com/Trestle-Inn-Lodging.html
http://therusticinncafe.com/homemade_pie__pie_orders
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=castle+danger+mn&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Well, I have to say my first time riding along the North Shore area was a good experience.:) Wife and I got back on Monday after riding Sat. & Sun. Other than it being a little chilly on Sunday it was a great weekend.

Considering the base can't be much more than 4-5" at most they are doing a great job at keeping the trails up. The main state trail was like a highway and the local trails were typically good to excellent.

Saturday we left Tofte and rode to the Knotted Pine for pizza and fuel.
Drove by the Trestle on the way up but didn't stop. Parking lot was absolutely packed with sleds so we kept going. Had an enjoyable day.

Sunday we decided to head towards Lutsen. Groomer had hit the main trail overnight to it was like a highway. We spent most of the day on the local trails closer to the shore, which were actually in very good shape.

Stopped at the Cascade Lodge Restaurant for soup and sandwich and to relax after sliding down a rather icy stretch of trial not far from there. Glad there was an alternate trail to come back on.
Took our time getting back, arriving at the motel just before dark. I think it was about -8 when we got there. Hot tube felt good.
On the way home Monday we stopped at the Rustic Inn and picked up a couple pieces of pie for the way home. Yes, it was worth it.

Overall trip experience. I'll give it an A, (A+ if it were 10deg. warmer)
Trails were good, not too much traffic and it gave me a snowmobile fix since I hadn't been able to ride yet this year.
Might even head back up again before it all melts away.

Thanks Pro-8250 for the tips!

G0120318.jpg G0060156.jpg G0110282.jpg

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Nice job and thanks for the update. Wife and I are driving up to the Rustic Inn this morning. Might go sledding up there this week. First time in a long for me sledding up there. :eyebrows:

Premium Features