• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

American Hauler trailers who's got one????

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
How many of you guys have American Hauler trailers and how do you like them, I am looking at the 7x29 model but am still undecided on that or if i should go to a all aluminum over axle model thats 8.5 wide and 24 long. I tow 750 miles one way on each trip with a dodge cummins. Would the benifit of the aluminum be gone due to the extra wind resistance over the 7' wide trailer???? thanks for any input guys. :face-icon-small-hap

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
7x29 American Hauler

I owned an American Hauler for 2.5 years and have just now decided to sell and upgrade to a better built trailer.

Quality of these trailers and not quite up there with your Charmac's, Mirage's, and the like. You can just tell it's a little underbuilt trailer when you get to the details of it. However, it does haul your sleds nicely and the 7x29 will accomodate 4 long track sleds very nicely. Another benefit is the ease of pulling this trailer...it tracks down the road very nicely and you don't even know it's back there really. One thing to CAUTION you about is the axles on this trailer...mine bent horribly and I never over loaded the trailer whatsoever. I went through tires like crazy on this thing and contacted the manufacturer and was told there was nothing they could do to help me with getting a new axle.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that it's not the best built trailer out there, but it's also a reasonably priced trailer that will get your sleds to the hill each weekend.

Ryan

Last edited:

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
Thanks for the info, I guess it goes back to you always get what you pay for. So what would you suggest for a 7 wide low boy that will haul 4 sleds??? thanks again for the info. :face-icon-small-hap

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
7' Wide Trailers

One riding buddy just picked himself up a Rance(?) by Nash Car Trailers...

Seems to be a fairly well built trailer and lots of options on it that make it look pretty sweet.

Double R Trailers in Nampa, ID will build you a 7' wide low bow if you want one...awesome people and seems to be a solid trailer.

Other than that, don't all the typical manufacturers such as Triton offer a 7' wide low boy? I honestly do not know...

Good luck in your search...excited for my new trailer to be built:)

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
So which model American Hauler did you have? and do you recall what the lbs was of the axles? Thanks

I owned an American Hauler for 2.5 years and have just now decided to sell and upgrade to a better built trailer.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
I owned the 7x29 Allsport model. 2008 to be exact.

Had twin 3,500lb axles under it.

I only put sleds in the trailer and all I could fit was 4 in there...so there is no way in my mind that I EVER overloaded this trailer given the trailer weighed in at 3,200lbs empty. That gave me a payload of somewhere around 3,500lbs. No way 4 sleds would get to that amount of weight...unless they were all Yamaha's or something...:face-icon-small-hap

I beleive the axle was put on the trailer incorrectly, or went bad during NORMAL use.

I think without the axle issue I would say these trailers are about a 7 out of 10 when it comes to build quality. Everything else on the trailer was fairly well built...still no Charmac or featherlite by any means...but respectively built. Throw in the axle issue and I have to rate mine at a 5 out of 10 because I had to replace tires like some larger women replace their Big Mac's.

Ryan

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Yep, clear. They shouldn't have bent. I do however feel that 3,200 pounders are on the light side for a 29ft trailer. Theoretically a person could exceed that capacity pretty easily..... like you said just put some Yammi's in there :face-icon-small-hap Thanks

I owned the 7x29 Allsport model. 2008 to be exact.

Had twin 3,500lb axles under it.

I only put sleds in the trailer and all I could fit was 4 in there...so there is no way in my mind that I EVER overloaded this trailer given the trailer weighed in at 3,200lbs empty. That gave me a payload of somewhere around 3,500lbs. No way 4 sleds would get to that amount of weight...unless they were all Yamaha's or something...:face-icon-small-hap

I beleive the axle was put on the trailer incorrectly, or went bad during NORMAL use.

I think without the axle issue I would say these trailers are about a 7 out of 10 when it comes to build quality. Everything else on the trailer was fairly well built...still no Charmac or featherlite by any means...but respectively built. Throw in the axle issue and I have to rate mine at a 5 out of 10 because I had to replace tires like some larger women replace their Big Mac's.

Ryan

Premium Features