• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

All you Turbo Experts Tell me this?

Here is what I believe I am looking for. Please don't use these numbers, I haven't done all the math and some of these are based on my own experiences only. But if someone could generate a accurate chart it would be killer to have in the field.

Thunder

Attachments

So how can we quantify heat loss and parasitic loss?

I have a similar goal as Arctic Thunder: knowing what fuel to run @ X elevation @ X boost.

However, I would like to manage it to an estimated HP # with the ultimate goal being the correct clutching and RPMs (8000 - 8250). Changing the boost on the fly is easier than adding/taking away a few grams to my primary.

Not going to happen in a comprehensive manner.

Too many variables imo.

I'd think the easiest way to get close to this is what kind of boost does it take to spin 80 grams at low & high elevation... then, what kind of fuel does it take to hit both levels of boost (also what is the charge temp difference beetween the two). It should be CLOSE (fuel I mean)... but the difference will give an idea what kind of extra we need to hit the same numbers.

I have a similar goal as Arctic Thunder: knowing what fuel to run @ X elevation @ X boost.

However, I would like to manage it to an estimated HP # with the ultimate goal being the correct clutching and RPMs (8000 - 8250). Changing the boost on the fly is easier than adding/taking away a few grams to my primary.

But, if you look at your chart you are staying very close to your HP numbers, but to do this you are making pretty big changes in your boost numbers.

I feel I can pull my weights from 3000-9000' if I adjust the boost to match. But I can't move the boost around unless I know the affect of atmosperic pressure on the guage (so my guage reading is right) and I know the detonation point of the fuel I am running.

I think we are wanting the same thing.

I would like to have 250HP at all elevation, all temperatures. But I will need to adjust the boost along the way to get their.

Prime example: If I can pull my wieghts and not have any detonation at 6000' I want to boost it up so I can still pull my wieght and again no detonation at 10000'. This can be done I am sure, the turbo will work harder, but with a chart I know I can increase my boost by X amount and pull it.

Thunder

You get a safe octane, in this case I thing at 5000 you could run 70/30 av/pg easy but maybe I'm wrong.

Hypothetically speaking
Anyway, you find a safe mix at 5000 and say its at 10lbs, now you are running 7400rpm.

You go up to 8000ft, all you do is turn up the boost tell your hitting target rpm, it is a hp factor of the octane requirement so you already know your good to go.
If it gets supper deep and snow over the hood I would pay attention to air flow and charge temps, but most of the time your safe with a 10-12 sec pull, any more than that you need to watch.

250hp is way more than you realize, I was running 8lbs average 10k on a Tm8, it did the job. More than that and the power hardly got used, (have to let off to maneuver) on some long pulls I would turn it up for fun but at your elevation 6-8lbs for most of the riding is huge power. Mine may have been putting out 180 in reality, if I had 250 I would be letting off all the time or flipping over.
And it runs way better the less av you can get in there.
At 8 could usually pull any hill in Cooke I wanted at 12 I was gaining speed and turning over 70mph track speed, a friend was on a pg m1000 and running 8lbs with 2 gal of 110 (over kill IMO) and pulling over 65mph track speed and speeding up. More than that is just for chits and giggles 98% of the time.

Hey guys, take a look at my excel spreadsheet attached. I'm new to the world of boost - so take it easy on me.

I live in MN and ride in SW MT around 6,000 - 8,000 feet. My goal was to see what kind of manifold pressure I was creating in MN and what that may mean in HP. I know that there are other variables to consider, temperature, air density, and intake temps that will debunk the HP #s on the spreadsheet but hey it is a start right... You change the values in the yellow cells in the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet works purely off of a % change in PSI to compute HP #, not scientific or tested at all.

My goal was to estimate how low I would have to turn down the boost to turn the same weights I use out west - or would have to change weights... The sled is a dragon 700 with 72 gram weights running 8 psi at 6000 - 8000'. My next step is to estimate my octane requirements to HP which essentially is (X boost @ X elevation).

Your spreadsheet is awesome but the only thing I would watch is that 91 octane gas does not have a MON of 91 it is probably more like 87, so when you are calculating your mixture your final octane rating might be a bit low. (I can't seam to fine MON ratings for pump gas so I guessing at 87)

Your spreadsheet is awesome but the only thing I would watch is that 91 octane gas does not have a MON of 91 it is probably more like 87, so when you are calculating your mixture your final octane rating might be a bit low. (I can't seam to fine MON ratings for pump gas so I guessing at 87)

Very True! Pump gas these days just sucks! I ran 90/10 91/av hit det all day at 6lbs on my 10 m8 bd turbo next day went to 70/30 av/91 (7 gallons av) Ran it all the way to 11 never hit the sensor once!

I've had great results in consistency by running a once or 2 of startron "Enzyme", seems to revitalize the crap fuel.

Premium Features

Back