• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

880 Big Bore numbers?

M

Mach-ster

Just curious?...knowing full well the Inherent issues of the 880 Big Bore, I would like to know as I'm sure many others would like to know how many 880 Big Bores are out there? and still running? and what are the HP and Torque numbers?

Running one in my old man's sled. One season is all so far. No issues (other than I pulled the top end off to put a thicker base gasket, squish was a little tighter than I wanted). Base gasket change was done after a couple hundred miles. Everything looked absolutely beautiful still, which it should w/ that limited use. No idea of the #'s, but it feels comparable w/ my buddies 872 and stronger than the 860's. 2 1/2" track on 880 vs 3" on 872 so never going to be able to get an apples to apples comparison. Super happy w/ the motor. It's an SHR 880.

906 on mine... Looked it over and looks like new... Going to run one more season.

Shr880

Just curious?...knowing full well the Inherent issues of the 880 Big Bore, I would like to know as I'm sure many others would like to know how many 880 Big Bores are out there? and still running? and what are the HP and Torque numbers?

been running and modifying the 880,s since late 07. have built 12. Never had any skirt and cylinder wall explode, Motors are different than the 860,s. with more Torque ,Strongest to date is SRH,s porting 880. I also have Trygstads 860 and 880. jetting is very different than the 860,s

Your more than welcome to come up and actually "see" what I'm doing and even ride 1 of 3 that are right here, and over 20 out in the mountains running as I type...with no inherent issues.:gossip:

FYI...there is more than 1 guy who knows how to build a good motor...BJ

SHR880

This will be my third season for my 880. Had absolutly no problems. Ran BJ recomondation and have done very little fine tunning. This is my first BB and mod motor of any type. Have never been on any thing that has had this much torque and could never go back to stock in the mountains again. Fred

Theres all sorts of power numbers as well as actual builders and parts salesman as well you can buy from.

You go from the basic top end kit where someone punched out the jugs and maybe did some porting and head work. Full mods get into case work, crank work, reeds, much more porting, pipes, carbs, timing ect. they cant really be compared

pipes add alot, double digits.

doing just the top end stuff gets you somewhere around 1/2 of whats available.

my 860 has been running since 09. some updated porting, did pistons once as i like replacing them while they are in one piece. other than that its been real solid. rode 30-40 days per year in the mountains. 40hp over stock is what mine makes

got a snowbike now and i'll keep this sled as a spare.

You say you've built around 20 880's correct? and eyebob says he's built 12?
so giving benefit to the doubt there may be 50 total 880's? It's apparent that many of the engine builders are no longer offering the 880 for obvious reason's, and like a post earlier mentioned I don't like being deep in the woods running on the edge??

Bikeman still builds 880 sleds. Not sure of how many others were ever in the market. A ton of people doing the 860's and for good reason. Pistons size was easily available and boring alone changed enough of the porting nature by opening some up and the timing to a certain degree, that just the extra cc's made some difference. A true ported motor was that much more.

Any way, never been around the Bikeman big bores, but it looks like the Micku boys have been horse whipping the crap out of them and slamming nitrous to them also. Can't be all that unreliable at least as far as the cylinder thickness goes, but if I am not mistaken, I believe there were some people were having antifreeze bleeding issues w/ their builds. Most were caused by detonation issues from what I read (must be true right,haha) or a combination of the oring area not making contact properly, poor machining maybe?? Can't recall ever hearing about the issue actually being from the cylinder walls cracking. Seems like there have been quite a few happy big bore Bikeman sleds out there and a few bleeders that added to the myths about the 880 bore itself.

so giving benefit to the doubt there may be 50 total 880's? It's apparent that many of the engine builders are no longer offering the 880 for obvious reason's, and like a post earlier mentioned I don't like being deep in the woods running on the edge??

hows the fishing???:face-icon-small-con...BJ

There is an 880 on ebay right now with a busted cylinder wall by the water jacket.

There is an 880 on ebay right now with a busted cylinder wall by the water jacket.
All due respect . i have a 860 on my shelf with a cracked cylinder as well. Cylinders can Only be repaired so many times before trashing them, I also know that when an 860 gets trashed so bad it can no longer be restored to an 860 ,Some builders turn that cylinder into an 880.No- body has been building the 880 as long as I have. I have run and tested/tuned them solely since 07,not one skirt failure and i only use good cylinders. If I recycled cylinders I too would expect failures. Jus sayin, It take trust that your builder recognizes when to disgaurd a jug instead of cover her up with shinny plating.

Bikeman still builds 880 sleds. Not sure of how many others were ever in the market. A ton of people doing the 860's and for good reason. Pistons size was easily available and boring alone changed enough of the porting nature by opening some up and the timing to a certain degree, that just the extra cc's made some difference. A true ported motor was that much more.

Any way, never been around the Bikeman big bores, but it looks like the Micku boys have been horse whipping the crap out of them and slamming nitrous to them also. Can't be all that unreliable at least as far as the cylinder thickness goes, but if I am not mistaken, I believe there were some people were having antifreeze bleeding issues w/ their builds. Most were caused by detonation issues from what I read (must be true right,haha) or a combination of the oring area not making contact properly, poor machining maybe?? Can't recall ever hearing about the issue actually being from the cylinder walls cracking. Seems like there have been quite a few happy big bore Bikeman sleds out there and a few bleeders that added to the myths about the 880 bore itself.

If they can hold up to the cylinder pressure of nitrous.......must not be that thin.

If they can hold up to the cylinder pressure of nitrous.......must not be that thin.

Ive run mine on Jack and she didnt blow.BMP cylinders are done completely different , They mill out a step in the cylinder and the dome has a tab that fits in it. Were not talking the same animal and Ive heard of issues. if an 860 was machined this same way and failed does that mean 860,s suck.Hmm

Machster
Seems that some have not taken notice that our fellow builders north of
the border have walked away from the 880 BB also, Seems that they were smart enough to figure it out also!! Hard to believe that many still are
running, Quite a few scrap parts here that customers have sent in to try
to fix with that bore size,

Dave Trygstad
http://trygstad-motorsports.com
Your leader in Rotax Performance and Developement

Premium Features

Back