• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 Liberty falling on its face!!!

I have a 2000 xcsp 440 with a 600 liberty swap. I rode last season with no problems what so ever. Last week I swapped out my stock track for a 136" with 1.75" paddle. This may be completely irrelevant but I have had the issue since the track swap. The sled goes into these spells where it feels like a have blown a piston. It boggs as if one cylinder is dead, the more throttle I give it the more it falls on its face. I have noticed that it acts up more when I am riding at slow speeds for an extended amount of time. If I shut the sled down for about 5 minutes when it’s acting up it comes right out of it. My thoughts are that the CDI is overheating for whatever reason, but I can't afford to just throw parts at it. I have herd something about heating the CDI with a hair dryer while the sled is idling. Any thoughts????

Sounds more like a secondary clutch issue. Do you have any idea what is in it? I am guessing it is still the stock 440 setup? If that is the case, that alone will give you fits with the bigger track. It won't want to backshift and will make it want to bog out. Try to get your hands on a helix and spring out of an rmk of the same era. Ideally, you know someone that you can change out the secondary quick and give it a try. Only 1 bolt to change it out quick and see. You may have a wornout bushing in your secondary as well. How about the buttons in the secondary? When was the last time that they were changed out? That is where I would start with your problems.

WOW! You know I completley forgot to mention that when I had the secondary off I cleaned it. Everything looked good inside but I had a little trouble with it not wanting to open after I put it back together. Also I don't know alot about clutches but when I had my secondary apart I didn't see any buttons. There is 3 rollers that the helix rides up on. Are those called buttons? And I have a 40 tooth bottom gear and a 21 tooth top gear. I believe that it is the stock 440 gearing. You guys are kick ***! Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! You know I completley forgot to mention that when I had the secondary off I cleaned it. Everything looked good inside but I had a little trouble with it not wanting to open after I put it back together. Also I don't know alot about clutches but when I had my secondary apart I didn't see any buttons. There is 3 rollers that the helix rides up on. Are those called buttons? And I have a 40 tooth bottom gear and a 21 tooth top gear. I believe that it is the stock 440 gearing. You guys are kick ***! Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the polaris roller clutch. Did you pre load the spring as you put the clutch back together?

I did pre load the spring a little. I took quite a bit of force to over come the spring to get the snap ring back on to hold the helix in place. But I did notice that there is about 4 or 5 different holes that the spring can be set in.

when i pre loaded the spring, did you go counter clock wise a 1/4 turn? try finding a r11 helix. and the stock spring for a the secondary.

kind of sounds like a exhaust valve issue though. is it falling off around the 6500 7000 rpm range? might be dirty and sticking, or a ripped bellow. something easy to check and clean.

Temp sensor plug is bad..

My guess is that you are experiancing a timing retard and the cdi is going into limp mode. The temp sensor between the spark plugs are notorious for going bad and causing your symptoms. New updated sensor is relatively cheap. You should not have any trouble running the 136 on that sled (early Edge race 440). We have 3 in our group. I am riding one. I swapped a 2001 600 into the chassis and 136'ed also. Worth checking!

You guys have 3 of these beaassstttttt! I cant find any like it around here. I would love to see some pics. I just got mine finished last week and I am very impressed with the traction but I am having suspension issues. If you know anything about setting up the suspension I would love to pick your brain. Oh ya, can you tell me what that helix is. What the differences are? Thanks

Premium Features

Back