• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

38" zbroz, stock shocks and zbroz steering fix

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
Well now that the snow has fallen I actually got around to getting all the stuff I picked up over the summer install. Nothing like waiting till the minute AFTER the last minute. Just thought I would post some info on this set up. First off the zbroz steering post rocks. Did have dealer install this when they were doing updates just cuz it only cost $80 for both sleds so not sure how install went but finished product is great. I didn't have the narrow a-arm kit on yet so I ground the stops with stock arms as reference. Should have waited because I could have left a little more material. Zbroz arms have a little more clearance than stock. Not much but a little.

After installing the narrow arm kit I had a pretty bad issue with tie rods hitting lower a-arms. This is because I am running the stock shock length to see how it works. I had to put washers under the tie rod end at the spindle to raise it up. I am currently just rubbing when in full steer and the suspension is completely dropped. The issue now is that the back arm of the upper a-arm hits the body panels. Not sure what enxtended length of shock is but I believe it is 18". I am currently about a 1/4" short of that when the body stops suspension. Rode it one day like this and doesn't seem to cause an issue so will see how it goes. May have to do some custom molding of abs in that area. The tie rod end doesn't have enough bolt on it to get it up high enough to completely alleaviate rubbing between tie rod and lower arm and still be able to get a nut on it.

The other issue with running this setup is the amount of material I had to remove from front side of spindle to reach the upper stops on steering post. Was running into lower a-arm, lower shock mount bolt and even the lower tube of shock. Below are some pictures of my "fix". May have to replace spindles at some point but not to concerned about that.

This is the first day out with no spindle mods or tie rod fix (basically stock steering radius) Plus it rubbed so steering was not easy the closer to stops I got. Definately sits higher.
2012-12-09 11.38.59.jpg

Upper a-arm/body contact
2012-12-09 11.39.42.jpg

This is the rough cut to get clearances. Radiused all the corners to prevent stress crack propagation.
2012-12-15 14.35.52.jpg

Also did Geo's front track shock mod tonight since the taller stance in front had rear suspension pushed down some. Have some issues with that but will deal with that in another thread.

Aaron

Premium Features