• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

345 Mile Weekend!

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Stock '12 800/163 Pro.

Running non-ethanol 90 pump augmented with 8 oz of Torco per tank and my dealer installed 10-68's in the primary at set-up as most of our riding in AK is at 3000 ft give or take a grand. I broke it in according to specs and I always warm it up before riding.
1 minor mod: extended VES vent tube to outside bellypan. No goop inside!

So far:
Gas mileage is average: 10 MPH on trails and 5-6 in the powder. I did discover today that for extended trail runs 6000 RPM is the sweet spot. I ran 50 MPH at 6K and made a shade under 12 MPG.
Oil consumption is roughly 40:1 (1 Qt/10 Gal) and I did not adjust it.

This weekend:
It had 323 miles on the OD when I started out Friday and as of this post I have 668 miles logged under varying conditions with only a broken scratcher.

No burbles, no bogs, no hesitations passing through the mid-range. Nothing. I put on 345 miles this weekend, 145 of them off trail in snow that ranged from wind beaten river bottom snow, to bottomless deep woods sugar, to deep, perfect set up powder and it performed beautifully...smooth power, crisp throttle and the track hooks up nicely.

I made some long pulls (about 800 ft vertical) in set-up powder and it pulled right in the sweet spot at 8050 to 8150. I also found a long, fairly smooth stretch of glacial valley that let me pull a sidehill about a mile long--a personal best by about 1,400 yards.

My friend has a place in the middle of nowhere and the ride in is 65 miles of unplowed dirt road. Except for a few short stretches of wind drifts you can haul azz the whole way in. The "trail" is usually an inch or two of beat up snow on hardpack. With the scratchers down it ran 123*-129* out and back. I broke a scratcher on the ride in and am happy to report 1 scratcher works as well as two.

Directly behind his place is a mountain range that nobody rides except for a few trappers on Tundras, so I have the place to myself (OK not exactly ALL to myself but pert near). Because it's Alaska almost the entire range is above treeline but under 6,000 feet.

Spent a few hours Saturday at a place we named Cool Whip for all the obvious reasons and then worked our way farther back to an unnamed valley now known as The Honeymoon Suite. No sexy time, just "fall-in-love" perfect snow. A buddy on an M-8, and me, tracking up the nosebleed seats. Sunday, a small mixed-bag group cruised 25 miles up a remote river to its source glacier where we found a couple thousand acres of more perfect, untracked* powder. So we spent time carving and jumping creek banks and enjoying the sun and great snow.

*except for a few moose, of course.

If you want to hate me now I'm cool with that.

My Pro works great. Here's hoping yours does too. Now to change the chain case oil and clean the clutches.

Cheers!

All I have for pics is one crappy cell phone pic. Oh, and the disappearing gas thing is still going on...

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Check the connection between the Y-pipe and the exhaust pipe. Our two 2011 pro's and a friends 2011 Assault leaked oil there onto the belly pan. Fixed it with Permatex Ultra Gold.
All of us did do the tube re-route.
As far as your riding experience, everyone here in Minnesota is jealous. :devil:
Anyone saying other wise is a liar.:face-icon-small-ton

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
What he said, except I am running a bit leaner and did not break a scratcher yet. I got 82 miles Monday, 68 miles on Thursday, 74 Friday and 101 miles Sunday. Over 1100 miles for the season.
The only sled trouble to date is an oil pump failure on the 07 Scandic SWT. Looking at pistons & rings, it has 3800 miles on it and has been a horse.

Premium Features