• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 Catalyst 600 weight, 536 elbows, e start wet, factory weight specs included

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
unloaded my new M today, My dad a buddy and i all couldnt believe how easy it is to get on its edge even sitting on concret. Ive got a 18 mtn cat that ive loved and that has been flawless, but now it looks and feels big compared to the catalyst. the new sled feels good as far as rider postition. My buddy who has a axys stood on the cat and instantly said these feels awesome just where you stand and the handlebars and everything. Very excited to get a ride on it.
When I look at the Catalyst it looks small compared to the Ascender. According to A/C specs its the same height a 1/2" narrower and 5 1/2" shorter this on a 154. As Boondocker 97 said earlier its the narrowed side panels / bodyworks that make it look smaller. I know when you stand / sit on it everything feels in the right place. I cant wait to get one on of these sleds and try it out. My thoughts are this is a light sled but is going to ride even lighter due to the lowered COG. I am looking forward to hearing your ride reports and thoughts on the new sled.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
dad was tape measering the two sleds and he came up with smaller dimensions on length like gas cap to spindle or whatever he was going by seemed like 4.5 inches shorter in his measurements. the ergonomics sure feel nice. still dont have any pics side by side but when i get some i'll fax them to interweb or whatever you guys do with your i phones.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Saw the catalyst 600 at the snow show here locally. It has a very different look than AC sleds of the past. The thing i noticed right off when standing on it is how short the nose of the sled is. It reminds me of the Yamaha Phazer, from years past. It is not necessarily a bad look, but certainly different that what i am used to seeing.

I understand why some on here are saying how easy it is to "get on edge". I noticed the same thing, but looked at the shock springs, and it appears they were set to about as loose as they could go, so that is probably the reason. Can't imagine person would ever want to run the springs that loose on the snow. It had a pretty good feel when standing on it. Maybe felt little "boaty" with the soft shocks and single rail in the skid, and i am not a big fan of that. But those who like that feel, should be happy.

It was compact, narrow, maybe even somewhat similar to how the Matryx feels. I really liked that part! The seat seemed a bit small, but not a deal breaker. Besides, who spends alot of time sitting on the seat, eh???

The engine and components are packed in there pretty tight, so i hope panels and hood are easy to remove, to access the engine. Didnt really check that out, but just noticed how small the whole front of the sled is. It is amazing they can get everything inside there, and still make necessary things accessible :)

Didn't take alot of time to check out the controls or other things, so no comments on that . All in all i think AC has a good sled here and with the new 858 engine, it just might be a winner :)

Krause09

Premium Member
Feb 1, 2016
Washington
Picked up the wife’s today and fueled up and oil topped off on the catalyst and my 18 165 alpha converted short tunnel. Mine also has the diamond s can!
505lb wet on catalyst 154 3” no e start
547.5 2018 alpha swapped 165 with diamond s

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
my springs on the catalyst were set about 80% stiff and it still felt very easy to tip the panels and hood are super easy to take off and you can get at everything really easy. The tube frame bulk head makes a lot of room for easy access

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
you can see where the pull rope was rubbing on the wiring harness, I took the ground off and bent the eyelet so the cable is pushed farther to the center of the sled then i took a piece of heater hose cut it lengthwise and put it over the rope so it cant touch the wires. The hood and panels come off in literally a minute and there is good access to everything. the belt drive is simple and looks like it should work well the top pulley has a lip on both sides and the bottom pulley has a lip on the outside the belt has little room it can move side to side to compensate for any misalignment but doesnt look like it will be able to rub anywhere. it looks like the M6 has more clearance, but its only sits about half inch higher at the skid plate. it is narrower at the skid plate so less stuff dragging in the snow. the seating position is really nice easy sit to stand transition.

IMG-0299.jpg IMG-0301.jpg IMG-0287.jpg IMG-0290.jpg IMG-0286.jpg

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
you can see where the pull rope was rubbing on the wiring harness, I took the ground off and bent the eyelet so the cable is pushed farther to the center of the sled then i took a piece of heater hose cut it lengthwise and put it over the rope so it cant touch the wires. The hood and panels come off in literally a minute and there is good access to everything. the belt drive is simple and looks like it should work well the top pulley has a lip on both sides and the bottom pulley has a lip on the outside the belt has little room it can move side to side to compensate for any misalignment but doesnt look like it will be able to rub anywhere. it looks like the M6 has more clearance, but its only sits about half inch higher at the skid plate. it is narrower at the skid plate so less stuff dragging in the snow. the seating position is really nice easy sit to stand transition.
How are the production side panels at the retainer clips? When I looked over the preproduction sled on display at the Jackson hillclimb, the side panels kind of hang up the retainers when removed. A very minor thing, but was the only thing I found as a negative. Just curious if they cleaned that up on the production sleds.

It's a great looking chassis. Very comfortable to sit/stand on. Overall feels a lot smaller then the Accender. Looking forward to riding one.

Thank you for the awesome comparison pics.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Really cool seeing the comparison pics. I didn't realize how much higher the rear of the tunnel is than the Ascender...by quite a bit. Seat height is up too, but so are the running boards so probably why it doesn't feel like the seat is overly tall.

Recoil rope/wiring interference is silly.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
the panels do hang up on the clips, i guess if you forget to do the quarter turns the panel will stay on. my ascender that i loved feels heavy and big now just playing around on them in the garage.

Premium Features