• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 Brakes

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Because some seem to have enough clearance and others do not. If my sled had no squeeze play in the lever I would first check to see if my pads were clamped on the disc and if not then just shave down the lever. Be careful though as the brake light switch is delicate and can break when re-installing the lever, if you are not.
I'm running a TKI lever so mine's already been off! But my question really is if were just a tolerance issue why didn't Poo just re-do the brake lever? I'd say the caliper was the real issue. When this issue very first popped up they said only some models were affected which made it sound like they got a bad batch of calipers from one vendor. Then all of a sudden it was software related and they did it to all of them. Which is cheaper? Replacing bad calipers or having one programmer update the software?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'm running a TKI lever so mine's already been off! But my question really is if were just a tolerance issue why didn't Poo just re-do the brake lever? I'd say the caliper was the real issue. When this issue very first popped up they said only some models were affected which made it sound like they got a bad batch of calipers from one vendor. Then all of a sudden it was software related and they did it to all of them. Which is cheaper? Replacing bad calipers or having one programmer update the software?
Yes software is a cheap bandaid. I'm sure Polaris had to accept that some guys keep a finger on the brake and that is enough to apply the brakes slightly as the new style master cylinder is very sensitive. Others may be dragging without no pressure applied to the lever. I think by doing the caliper update they may be catching all conditions. Is yours dragging? Mine does not seem to be so maybe it was a bad batch?

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I ride with my finger on the brake 100% of the time. Only time I’ve ever had my brake warning flash was after rolling my sled from a stuck. Cleaned the snow off and went away. I have checked my calipers a few times and they are always fully retracted and pads have free play.

U
Nov 26, 2007
I ride with my finger on the brake 100% of the time. Only time I’ve ever had my brake warning flash was after rolling my sled from a stuck. Cleaned the snow off and went away. I have checked my calipers a few times and they are always fully retracted and pads have free play.

One interesting thing I noticed at local shop was how much difference in ‘free play’ there was between a bunch of different matryx sleds. Might be reason some have an issue while having a finger on the brake and some don’t

My sample size was maybe 10 sleds in that shop so take it for what it’s worth

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
The brake flash really isn't a problem. The only time I have ever had it kick in is on a long hill decent when trying to keep the clutch engaged. Which really isn't a big deal. Just kill the sled and restart when you get done with the decent.
When ya pay 20k for a sled….that **** is unacceptable. I’m not gunna make excuses and cut my expectations short…I pay 22k that biach better be perfect.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
One interesting thing I noticed at local shop was how much difference in ‘free play’ there was between a bunch of different matryx sleds. Might be reason some have an issue while having a finger on the brake and some don’t

I did the same thing, had the same results as you…

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have a feeling he’s going to bat for Polaris because he’s got his application in for the next round of Polaris Ambassador free advertisement selection.
You figured me out! Polaris really wants a forum a$$hole who makes fun of everyone and tells everyone they suck for an ambassador ? I'm pretty sure my sponsor pays me more than Kesterke, Burandt, and Curtis get combined.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You figured me out! Polaris really wants a forum a$$hole who makes fun of everyone and tells everyone they suck for an ambassador ? I'm pretty sure my sponsor pays me more than Kesterke, Burandt, and Curtis get combined.
I know, my buddy has his own excavation business. Anytime he is being cheap i always tell him 2 scoops and that thing is paid for.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
No brake issue on my 22 matryx, no reflash done by the dealer because I didn’t want it and I’ve never had an issue with my 3-D logic brake lever on since new. Sure, if Polaris wants to give me a lighter and more vented brake rotor and change my caliper for free, I guess I’ll be down with that. Not holding my breath though ?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

This^^^^^^^

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah

Ok Teth-Air so what do you think the difference in tolerances would be considering I think you've looked into this more than anyone?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Ok Teth-Air so what do you think the difference in tolerances would be considering I think you've looked into this more than anyone?
I have not seen enough sleds to compare. Only my 19 and my 23 are both good. I did notice the 23 had way less free throw in the lever. Others I have seen are all over the map. If you got a good one don't worry about it. I read one post that a quad ring was installed backwards in one caliper and turning it around fixed the problem of it not retracting. If something like this is stopping the caliper from opening properly it will take all the free throw out of the lever. My point was don't assume all are bad but for sure take a look at your sled. Fix if needed. Make sure your caliper is free floating as designed.

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
Are people's aware that they don't have to get the recall done?????

Polaris can not force the "fix" on your sled.

R

rmk8001

Oct 27, 2008
The Caliper was the issue. Mine was dragging. The inner piston would not retract. I replaced it with a caliper from my 18 and the problem no longer exists. There seemed to be what looked like lithium grease on the outer surface of the piston and lithium grease is a no no on brake pistons. I would say Polaris has admitted to the issue by going with a new caliper. Sleds can still catch fire even with their BS bandaid flash. Polaris needs to come clean and get all the 22-23 sleds hooked with new calipers. Don’t even bother filling the lever.

R

rmk8001

Oct 27, 2008
I have not seen enough sleds to compare. Only my 19 and my 23 are both good. I did notice the 23 had way less free throw in the lever. Others I have seen are all over the map. If you got a good one don't worry about it. I read one post that a quad ring was installed backwards in one caliper and turning it around fixed the problem of it not retracting. If something like this is stopping the caliper from opening properly it will take all the free throw out of the lever. My point was don't assume all are bad but for sure take a look at your sled. Fix if needed. Make sure your caliper is free floating as designed.
I don’t think the quad ring is the issue. I’m sure if the had disassembled mine and cleaned and lubed properly with silicone it would have fixed the issue. I just swapped out to one from my 18. Also the Polaris calipers are fixed not floating

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
The Caliper was the issue. Mine was dragging. The inner piston would not retract. I replaced it with a caliper from my 18 and the problem no longer exists. There seemed to be what looked like lithium grease on the outer surface of the piston and lithium grease is a no no on brake pistons. I would say Polaris has admitted to the issue by going with a new caliper. Sleds can still catch fire even with their BS bandaid flash. Polaris needs to come clean and get all the 22-23 sleds hooked with new calipers. Don’t even bother filling the lever.
2018 up through 2023 use the same caliper. same part number

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
2018 up through 2023 use the same caliper. same part number
Exactly. If yours is sticking take it apart and see why. Many guys have their guess on why they stick and maybe there are more than one reason. You will discover it when pulling it apart. Just don't stick your head in the sand if it is dragging.

R

rmk8001

Oct 27, 2008
See the white crap. Pretty sure it is lithium grease. That is the problem right there

Premium Features