• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 F250 Superduty

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Not so much relevant to the 2017 super duty, but thought this was interesting when discussing the cost of trucks. When you get away from base prices and load up on options this is where the 2016 trucks fell based on MSRP according to Car and Driver. http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/the-over-50k-club-the-most-expensive-pickup-trucks-you-can-buy#1

Cowboy Cadillacs

These days, it’s alarming the ease with which one can option a light-duty pickup truck to nearly $50,000. It isn’t for lack of discipline, either; once you get through adding four-wheel drive, power options, and a family-friendly number of doors, the price tag of most any full-size truck invariably starts with a “4” and rises from there.

But that’s only the beginning—with a little effort, you can have a luxury-lined behemoth for $60K, $70K, or even $80 grand. We’ve gathered just such a crew here, with the only prerequisites being that the truck is on sale at the time of publication (February 2016) and carries a base price of at least $50,000 for the given trim level with the minimum number of driven wheels. (If four-wheel drive is an option, the qualifying price reflects the two-wheel-drive iteration of a given rig.) If a trim level starts at less than $50,000 in its minimum form, say, with a regular cab, it doesn’t qualify. Simple. (For instance, the top trim levels of the Toyota Tundra, the Platinum and the 1794 Edition, start at $47,725 in CrewMax, two-wheel-drive form, hence that automaker’s absence from this list.)

To show how expensive each truck can get, we loaded them up to the hilt with every reasonable option available (short of niche bits such as snowplow prep packages, gooseneck tow hitches, etc.) and ranked them from least- to most-expensive.
By Car and Drive

1. Ford F-250 Super Duty
Price: $33,580 - $58,435

2. Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Price: $34,150 - $58,130

3. GMC Sierra 2500HD
Price: $34,730 - $58,985

4. Ram 2500
Price: $32,975 - $58,480

5. Nissan Titan XD
Price: $36,485 - $61,715

Kinda takes the air out of the argument that the Ram is cheaper when going apples to apples doesn't it?

Scroll right through the photos in the link to see the base price and max accessorized price of each make/model.

Kinda takes the air out of the argument that the Ram is cheaper when going apples to apples doesn't it?

Scroll right through the photos in the link to see the base price and max accessorized price of each make/model.

go look at what the actually sell for rather than msrp......it will air that argument right back up

I compared the websites for the Ford and Ram truck dealers here in Billings, MT. There are thirteen 2016 Ford F-350 crew cab, Lariat package, diesel, SRW trucks on the lot ranging from $56,100 to $61,200 after incentives and rebates. There are nine 2016 Ram 3500 crew cab, Laramie package, diesel, SRW trucks on the other lot ranging from $55,300 to $62,025 after incentive and rebates. Without getting into the nitty gritty of options I'd say that's pretty equal.

I compared the websites for the Ford and Ram truck dealers here in Billings, MT. There are thirteen 2016 Ford F-350 crew cab, Lariat package, diesel, SRW trucks on the lot ranging from $56,100 to $61,200 after incentives and rebates. There are nine 2016 Ram 3500 crew cab, Laramie package, diesel, SRW trucks on the other lot ranging from $55,300 to $62,025 after incentive and rebates. Without getting into the nitty gritty of options I'd say that's pretty equal.

Obviously the Ford is undervalued ? No !! Lol

If you want an idea of how bad it will hurt at trade in time,
Look at what 5 year old models of each brand are selling for.

2011 are 30-40k, half of new price.

GS6
And they are effectively 6 years old already. 40k for a used rig that already has probably 100k on it and no idea of previous services and treatment????? Not a frigging chance I'm going down that path!

I've been threatening for a few years to buy a newer pickup. 3 months ago I decided it was time. I knew I wanted a 4wd dually and I wanted every freaking option possible because I keep my rigs a long time, this last one was 12 years. I drove the Ford Chevy dodge and GMC.... All were north of 70k... As I was driving the Ford the sales guy asks if I like it and my reply was "everything but the price"...... He chuckled and explained that if I didn't like the price of the one I was driving I certainly wouldn't like the price of the 17s and was rather confident the same rig I was driving would be north of 80k in 17....... I liked them all, some things I liked that others didn't have and viceversa. Ended up finding a "used" 16 3500 Denali dually with every option available with 5k miles. Paid 58,385 OTD and have been smiling since. Would have LOVED to have the Ford but for 14k I'll be happy with what I got.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
2011 are 30-40k, half of new price.

GS6
The ONLY way I can get this to make any financial sense at all is to plan on KEEPING THE TRUCK for a few hundred thousand miles.
10 years minimum, 13-15 ideally.

That is one of my primary motivators to get the nicest rig I can right now.
Then the depreciation really doesn't have ANY impact on anything at all.

Just do your very best to get the best price possible on day one.

2016 Laramie 3500 dually is 55-57k. The high end Longhorn in a 3500 dually is 60-62k. My dealer has no 3500 single rear wheels, so I don't know what they sell for, but it's obviously less.

A 2500 Laramie single wheek is 53-55k

If you want an idea of how bad it will hurt at trade in time,
Look at what 5 year old models of each brand are selling for.

The point I was trying to make is that while new prices are similar, the Dodge falls in value faster than the others.

The point I was trying to make is that while new prices are similar, the Dodge falls in value faster than the others.

Around here that's not so. You have to almost give away any 6.4 or 6.0l ford. Seen several 07,08,09 Dodge Ram 6.7 Laramie trucks go for 27-31k recently. I'd say they are holding their value better pretty well.

Ford is doing demo drives of the 2017s all week at the fair here. They have a 450 platinum dually that I think I'll try to take for a drive today or tomorrow after work! Really curious to see what it's like vs the '08 450 we have now.

Around here that's not so. You have to almost give away any 6.4 or 6.0l ford. Seen several 07,08,09 Dodge Ram 6.7 Laramie trucks go for 27-31k recently. I'd say they are holding their value better pretty well.

You're correct regarding those two engines.

Take them out of the equation and I stand by my statement, from halfers up to tonners.

Premium Features

Back