• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 TURBO KTM 450 SXF TIMBERSLED BUILD

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
New Project build of a 2013 KTM 450 SXF.
Turbo + Fuel Injection + Electric Start :)
Baseline dyno of stock motor was 47 HP and 30 Ft-Lbs Torque.
Thats + 5 HP more than the 2009 Honda CRF 450 we started with last year.
A few pics of the build. Plenum, Clutch Lockout, Modified Clutch Cover.

Plenum.1.jpg Plenum.2.jpg Clutch Lockout.jpg Modified Clutch Cover.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rush44 and teal_210

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
That looks great!! talk to us about the clutch lockout.
I'm not familiar with that at all, whats the benefit?

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
That looks great!! talk to us about the clutch lockout.
I'm not familiar with that at all, whats the benefit?

We're expecting to double the horsepower (as we did last year on the Honda's) so we'll need more clutch pressure to prevent slipping.

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
That's awesome! So what kind of elevation are you at? Cause i believe i read that the sxf450 was up about ten HP? Just bench racing stuff i guess, but I'm seriously thinking next year about getting one of these mostly for the e-start. It'll be awesome!

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
That's awesome! So what kind of elevation are you at? Cause i believe i read that the sxf450 was up about ten HP? Just bench racing stuff i guess, but I'm seriously thinking next year about getting one of these mostly for the e-start. It'll be awesome!

We ride at 10 - 12,000 ASL.
The Dyno numbers are true rear wheel HP (adj to sea level).
They are always significantly less than manufacturers published numbers.
I don't know the KTM 450 SXF published HP.
On last year's build. the 2009 Honda 450 published HP was 57 and it dyno'd at 42 HP.
I'm looking forward to the E-start on the KTM.:face-icon-small-coo

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I was trying to search and did not find any info on how much your maintenance increases with the turbo. Are you maintaining them as if you weer racing motocross for engine rebuilds and valves? Or is it even more aggressive?

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
I was trying to search and did not find any info on how much your maintenance increases with the turbo. Are you maintaining them as if you weer racing motocross for engine rebuilds and valves? Or is it even more aggressive?

I dont do anything special on the 2 turbo hondas. No maintenance issues last season on either bike.

Reactions: wwillf01
I dont do anything special on the 2 turbo hondas. No maintenance issues last season on either bike.

Are the Honda's for sale? I would love to hear a write up of the things that you learned and problems / solutions that you came across running these last season. I seem to remember a heat exchanger on the track, did they run hot, or was this planned from the beginning...

I'm guessing they must have ran pretty well if you're building another turbo unit - and using the same builder.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Are the Honda's for sale? I would love to hear a write up of the things that you learned and problems / solutions that you came across running these last season. I seem to remember a heat exchanger on the track, did they run hot, or was this planned from the beginning...

I'm guessing they must have ran pretty well if you're building another turbo unit - and using the same builder.

Scott doesnt sell anything. :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton
Yea, the Hondas ran very well. Especially the "big" one.

Sam

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
A few more pics.
The turbo is just "roughed" in.

KTM.9.jpg KTM.16.jpg Dyno.jpg

Last edited:
S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Hey, you going to use this

IMG_3441.jpg

to haul your DONKEY. :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-hap

Sam

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am running one radiator and a M-heat exchanger on the turbo Hondas. Overheat problem was on only on long hard pack roads.
Only other issue was hard starting at first start of the day at cold temp, high altitude. The injector is much larger than stock and during start the PC5 hasn't taken over yet so OEM computer is sending fuel based on cold and stock (small) injector, which is way too much starting fuel for high altitude with huge injector so engine would easily flood. Ended up with fuel injector on/off switch and temp sensor on/off switch. This helped, but still had issues sometimes for that first start out of the trailer. We're working on a fix to recal the temp sensor for better startability.

Reliability-wise they were great.
Kelly at KMS Performance has the single cylinder turbo stuff figured out.
He does nice custom work that stays together.

Reactions: teal_210
M
Jan 14, 2004
So being a long time turbo sled guy and a KTM guy I'm following this project with interest. I have a question and that's why mount the turbo up front as opposed to under the rear fender,not saying its good or bad I'm just curious, is it single cylinder exhaust pressure, I've never turboed a one lunger?

M5

Premium Features