• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 TURBO KTM 450 SXF TIMBERSLED BUILD

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
Correct. Mounting the turbo close to the exhaust port reduces turbo lag and is also very important on single cylinder applications to reduce pulsing from the exhaust.

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
A few more pics. Pipes being coated. When they come back final dyno runs then ship to Colorado for Timbersled install.

photo 3b.jpg photo 8.jpg photo 10.jpg photo 11.jpg photo 3a.jpg

Reactions: swedenturbo

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
Thanks for the pic of the oil feed line. A very smart solution to connect the oil to the turbo. I see the allen key plug on my bike. Just remove it, connect the hose and your done!
Used a oil filter cap from a KTM 690. This didn't work well. Had to use a special oil filter and the bolt for the front engine mount bolt was in the way. Your solution is much better.
Thinking of put on some kind of oilpressure sensor with warning light. If something goes wrong with oil feed or turbo, a red light will warn me, just like on a car. Not a big risk but if the hose or fittings break off you will end up loosing oilpressure.

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
Kelly made the final tune and dyno runs last night at 100HP on my KTM 450.
Big thanks to Kelly at KMS Performance in Phoenix. I can tell you from my experience with my two Turbo Honda 450's Kelly built last year these things rip and hold together. Both Honda's are still running strong. When your ready to take the plunge its best to ship him the whole bike and let him do his majic. However, he made fixtures this time around for my KTM 450 and will sell a kit. He's starting a turbo KTM 500 and will offer a kit for that bike as well.
Now we just need some (alot) of snow here in Colorado!

IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0140.JPG

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
Impressive dyno numbers!
How much boost are you running?
Have you lowered compresion ratio to run on pump gas?

J

JTAB

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman Montana
www.lientransportation.com
500 XC-W

Kelly made the final tune and dyno runs last night at 100HP on my KTM 450.
Big thanks to Kelly at KMS Performance in Phoenix. I can tell you from my experience with my two Turbo Honda 450's Kelly built last year these things rip and hold together. Both Honda's are still running strong. When your ready to take the plunge its best to ship him the whole bike and let him do his majic. However, he made fixtures this time around for my KTM 450 and will sell a kit. He's starting a turbo KTM 500 and will offer a kit for that bike as well.
Now we just need some (alot) of snow here in Colorado!

Crated and leaving today for Phoenix.
photo.jpg

Reactions: cr500afx

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
Impressive dyno numbers!
How much boost are you running?
Have you lowered compresion ratio to run on pump gas?

Compression is stock.
Boost is about the same as last year's Honda's.
10Psi boost at nearly sea level (Phoenix).
KTM is stock motor, running AVGAS.

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
Finally snowing and finally found some time to work on the KTM.
Attached are a few progress pics. I'm going to try using a ThermoBob thermosat by Watt-man with only 1 radiator (no heat exchanger like the turbo Honda's).
Also fabbed up a prototype heat shield for the turbo.
Hope to have the bike together by the weekend.

photo 1.jpg Photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg ThermoBob Thermostat.jpg

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
Thanks Jason. Yes, we are getting dumped on here. 5-6 ft on the Mesa in last 10 days. I'm onboard trying the one radiator like you said. If it works I'll remove the heat exchangers off the Hondas.
Kelly should be running your turbo KTM 500 on the Dyno any day now.
That thing will be sick!

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
Thanks Jason. I rode both bikes yesterday.
Big Honda is still King. But that my be short lived once your Turbo KTM 500 is on the snow. That thing is going to rock!

Premium Features