• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 nitro 180hp push turbo vs AC 1100turbo

This is the only place that I have seen where someone has posted a direct comparison between the M1100T and the Nytro with the $1500 turbo kit.

"To give you a comparison, we found a long hill, maybe 500 yards, with 18” of powder on top of a good firm base. Hill was maybe a 25 degree slope, nice open gentle pull. Run the 800 ProRMK or 800 E-TEC Summit up it and you’ll hit 35-40 mph and pull over the top. M1100T, 50mph and pulling hard. Nytro turbo and the skis will be wagging in the air and you’ll see 70mph if you have the, well courage, to hold the loud lever open the whole way."

http://maxsled.com/snowmobile/2011/03/dc2012riderjournal/
interesting, I rode the nitro 180 push turbo and the supercharger also and noticed the same thing but didn't get to ride the 1100t. big power difference? did the cat have any lag in the turbo?

interesting, I rode the nitro 180 push turbo and the supercharger also and noticed the same thing but didn't get to ride the 1100t. big power difference? did the cat have any lag in the turbo?

I'll speculate based on the article (since most of us will not ride the 2012s side by side for at least another 6 months)

- the author of the article did not mention any turbo lag on the Cat and I have not heard a single person complain of turbo lag on the z1
- As for the power difference- 20 mph is a pretty big difference - a bigger difference than if you compare the 800s and the 1100T in the test that he did up that same hill. 800's were 35-40mph, 1100T was 50mph, NytroT was 70mph.

the cats sure looked alot better in the youtube vid and boy did he make it look like childs play running up jackson hole. pretty sweet!!

I'm sure the 180 Nytro kits are impressive, but either that wasn't much of a hill or they are measuring track speed differently than I do, cause 70mph seems like a stretch...

Once you turn up the boost, no problem seeing those numbers, but a 180 kit is what 6-8lbs of boost? My Apex at 11lbs will only hit 70mph in ideal conditions...

I'm excited to see how the M1100T raises the 4 stroke bar and look forward to Yamaha responding.

After getting a sneak peak at the 2012's the other day, I know my money would not be going blue...

This is the only place that I have seen where someone has posted a direct comparison between the M1100T and the Nytro with the $1500 turbo kit.

"To give you a comparison, we found a long hill, maybe 500 yards, with 18” of powder on top of a good firm base. Hill was maybe a 25 degree slope, nice open gentle pull. Run the 800 ProRMK or 800 E-TEC Summit up it and you’ll hit 35-40 mph and pull over the top. M1100T, 50mph and pulling hard. Nytro turbo and the skis will be wagging in the air and you’ll see 70mph if you have the, well courage, to hold the loud lever open the whole way."

http://maxsled.com/snowmobile/2011/03/dc2012riderjournal/

the cats sure looked alot better in the youtube vid and boy did he make it look like childs play running up jackson hole. pretty sweet!!

Notice too that the skid was not stock. Be more interesting to see how the stock would handle the bumps and ruts 02

What one did you like best? Turbo or Charger. And why?

I liked the turbo better. The super charger had good power but no top end. supercharger was sharp off the bottom and pulled to the midrange and then seemed to stop. The turbo pulled from bottom end all the way to top end and seemed to keep pulling. large difference in power.

From the comments I have read, it seems that the PUSH turbo is the way to go. Anyone know if they can be easily turned up beyond the 180 hp range?

Not sure about PUSH but i've heard MPI and MCX 180hp can be turned up.
Why cant we just push a button and go from 180 to 240 :loco:

Hah, yeah, my word placement was VERY poor. I was talking about 3-4# to get where the cat is sitting at 13#... to get to 300 on a normal yami higher teens will do, on the cats you need high 20's..

No question the cat twin will require more boost to make similar power. 4cyl. vs 3cyl. vs 2cyl. Volumetric efficiency always goes to the larger number of cylinders. The smaller the bore the easier it is to fill it. Even under boost. The big difference is the cat is making boost off the assembly line and must comply with all the sound and epa BS so to make there 177 it requires 13 pounds and we know any yamaha 3 or 4 cylinder will make 220-230 approx. Turbos are very much effected by exhaust restriction, after all boost is a measure of restriction. The cat 1100 t is having to blow through a gigantic suitcase of a muffler which effects its VE. How many aftermaket turbos dont even have a muffler? If they do its a very short and passive but still flows very well. This is why they make more power at the same boost level. As the old saying goes..."if you put it in you have to get it out" Most of the 3 year old z1t with just a down pipe or some other light weight high flow muffler will have dyno numbers much closer to these yamaha turbos at similar boost levels. and using me eyecrometer I believe 20-25 lb weight reduction with the addition of a down pipe Is not out of the question putting the crate weight at 535 ?
Its a good time to be riding 4 stroke regardless of the color.

Last edited:
The push turbo can be turned up by installing a manual boost controller. From what I've read its not safe to go much over 10lbs on the stock fuel system though. I have the push kit and am very happy with It's performance.

I've had a 300+ lightweight MCX TApex for 4 years. I got invited to ride the m1100T on the Cat demo ride by my riding buddy who owns a Cat dealership. He has rode turbo M8's for 5 years. He put a M 162 skid under a ZR1 and rode it this winter. Maybe that's why I got invited, tough for 2s guys to offer a reasonable opinion when all they talk about is weight, and that's fine, but no one switches to 4s for weight. I know it's heavier, tell me something I don't know.:face-icon-small-win

I have riden the MCX pump kit on a Nitro and felt it had the same lag mine had. Rear mounts have more lag. Are there things to do to minimize that, sure, but it will never be a front mount, let alone a supercharger. The Cat felt stronger but it's not like I rode them the same day. The Nitro was also a 153 which wouldn't be my choice for a turbo anything.

The M1100T was incredibly agile compared to my Apex, or how I compared it to the Nitro I rode. I have never felt comfortable on the Nitro, and yes you can get used to anything, but in 20 minutes I felt more comfortable and daring than my own sled I've rode for 4 years. I could not ride the M chassis either so good thing this is nothing like it. It has zero lag compared to what I'm used to. The turbo is spooling at 4000rpm. I don't see boost until 6K on mine. Boondocking was so easy with the smoother power and the fact it is there way earlier. Factory turbo taps out at around 16 lbs at elevation with a Highjacker box. Over 20 lbs with a 2860 was very fun, and that was on the ZR1, which handles nothing like the ProClimb. The bonus is it felt lighter than mine, way lighter, but that might be the feeling when it handles so much better.

I love my TApex and I'll be sorry to see it go. I wasn't prepared for how much I liked the M1100T's handling and that is what sold me. You can always add power to 4s but tough to improve handling. :nod:

I love my TApex and I'll be sorry to see it go. I wasn't prepared for how much I liked the M1100T's handling and that is what sold me. You can always add power to 4s but tough to improve handling.

Nail......head............you hit it!

Makes the 1100T sound pretty appealing. Anyone know if there is any truth to being able to plug in a box, modify the wastegate and be at 210-220 on this sled and still have full warranty? Just unplug a few things if you take it in? Is what I've heard from a few people. That is pretty appealing. Wonder about reliability and belt life of the 1100T...must be decent but is certainly an unknown. Appeal of the nitro to me is that it's proven and you can use a belt forever.

The push turbo can be turned up by installing a manual boost controller. From what I've read its not safe to go much over 10lbs on the stock fuel system though. I have the push kit and am very happy with It's performance.

manual as in not the push controller??? cause i have the push controller

You install a manual boost tee like a turbosmart or hallman pro into the wastegate line. This let's you control the wastegate and make more boost.

Premium Features

Back