• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011/2012 Snow and Trail Conditions

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Despite cold we had blower 30" to play on in the woods... Still not enough base to avoid all stumps in the woods.. Pow turns on logging roads for days!!! Just play it safe when completely in the woods... I can say for sure everything twin lakes and north has plenty of snow....

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Got back from Twin Lakes last night.

Trails were OK, some drift areas had spotty snow. Powerlines are beat. Logging roads were good if you could find something that wasn't tracked up. Roughly 2.5' in the woods. Warmed up on Sunday and misted. Snowing hard up there now and look to be getting about 12" before its through snowing.

Overall they are still a fair amount low in the woods and the trails look to be in moderate to below average conditions. Still managed to have a blast on Saturday in the woods. Keep doing your snow dances. Its working...

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
I dont know where the above dude has been riding but let's just say its real good. Another 12-18 fell in the snow belts over the last few days and now that most folks have gotten outta dodge u can have the place to yer selves. Right now I might actually recommend heading up to the lac la belle area as they have reported 18". I went skiing up there today and the logging roads I passed looked to have 4-5 ft of untouched snow.. I don't think as many people hit the logging roads up in that area and they r damn fine.. Got a little warm today so it's consolidating for sure but that will just cover up those annoying stumps that have been a issue so far this year..If anyone would like a report on a specific area in the Keweenaw let me know.. I prob will have the answer..

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
i missed that last storm by a day, while I was there we didn't get any fresh so yea it got beat quick. By the way it looks on the web cams and the way people are talkin now, its pretty good. :face-icon-small-coo won't be back up for another week though :face-icon-small-fro

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Looks like the snow is good in the UP. There is some guys in our group coming up in a couple weeks. They are thinking on riding Eastern side of the UP.

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Sunday/Monday look good.. Prob see 6 to 10 in the belts.. Warm today base has solidified a bit.. Trails r already hoppin. Anyone want to shred on Sunday let me know..

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
:
i missed that last storm by a day, while I was there we didn't get any fresh so yea it got beat quick. By the way it looks on the web cams and the way people are talkin now, its pretty good. :face-icon-small-coo won't be back up for another week though :face-icon-small-fro

Realized I might have sounded like a dik.. No disrespect

Last edited:
M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Currently snowin at a good clip...would anticipate a 8" inch scenario by mornin in te snow belts... Tons of people here for weekend looking forward to Monday sledding. Toivola still were r spending most time

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
for the weekend of the 10-12, pretty much everything is booked because its Winter Carnival at Mich. Tech. I was told they were booked pretty much out to Munising. So your best bet to get a hotel in Houghton is to call every day hoping for a cancellation.

The ONLY place I found that had an available cabin to rent was up in Lac La Belle. This was last week, but we have a room in Houghton so we didn't need this one. You could call there and see if they have anything. worth a shot. I THINK it was this place: http://laclabellelodge.com/index.html

good luck.

Anyone have a snow report? It was pretty warm the last few days up there...

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
U could try Freda b&b they r off the beaten path and may have avail rooms or what not.. Can't speak to the accommodations I just know it exists and might be worth a shot...

G

gspbirdhunt

Jan 30, 2008
Janesville IA
Updated conditions

Just wondering if anyone has any new info for MI? Were planning to head up there on Thursday but not sure now - 8 hours is a long drive to ride on snirt. Thinking South Dakota as we have a 3 in our group that do not want to do mods for Laramie. Wish they would... :face-icon-small-fro

Anyway - an info on conditions in the Bergland area or surrounding would be appreciated. Thanks all.

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
We've gotten a few inches but theres not a ton a pow to play on... We have had a thaw freeze cycle goin so the snow has consolidated to 6" of snow with a crust so u can make turns but they ain't great. If your a trail guy no prob but if your wanted to get on logging roads and in the woods ur not gonna wanna drive this distance.. I got my sled all weighted and helixed for cooke early cause I don't really care if I ride before I leave.. Just bein honest.

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
anything new for boondocking style? im seeing that Wakefield/bergland lake gogebic area might get dumped on this Tuesday and they've been getting some snow
thinking about taking Thurs and Fri and going up if its worth it?
any insight would be helpful
thanks
otherwise i guess i'll also be clutching for west yellowstone for mid march

Last edited:
Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
I dont know exactly where it was, but my parents live in Hancock and my dad told me there was a localized LES band somewhere in the Ontonogan/Gogebic county area that got a 15" dump this past weekend. Compile that with the storm that is coming our way tomorrow and possibly saturday, and it might be well worth your while.

Premium Features