• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

( 2009-2011 ) M/HCR rear suspension set up... ?

Hi !

I'm in the progress to buy a ( 2011 ) M or HCR and I would like to know how to maximize the skids capabilities for big bump and rough terrain riding.
Over here in Sweden we do not have smooth groomed trails like you have in North America.
Our trails more looks like an snocross racing circuit.
My upcoming M/HCR-sled will not see much deep powder riding.
( I ride hard so the skid must comply to take a lot of beating. )

1. How does the ( 2009-2011 ) M/HCR 153" skid perform on really rough and bumpy trails ?
. How to set up and optimize the rear suspension for harsh trail riding with big bumps ?
. Is there a way to change the ( 2009-2011 ) M/HCR 153" skid from "falling rate" to "rising rate" so it would be better suited for big bumps ?

Big bumps are not really my thing, but one good thing about Arctic Cats is generally that they handle better the harder you ride them. A rear skid mod I put on my '11 Crossfire 141 is the HyGear Pro Linkage kit that repositions the rear shock and replaces the link rods for a more rising rate geometry. The Crossfire runs coil-overs on Fox Zero-pros, and rides really well. I have also replaced the rear link rods on my '10 m8 153 to accommodate the Dual pressure reservoir added to the rear Fox air shock (revalved) for a much improved ride . I also added the Dual pressure canisters to the front (revalved) ski shocks as well, to more effectively adjust ride height and bottoming separately.

Last edited:
Depends how much you want to spend. Basics, run higher preload and let front limiter strap out. And good value is a re-valve of the shocks with a place like Carl's in Boise. You can tell them what you are looking for, your weight and they will valve for your application. Outside of using the stock stuff, you start spending lots of money on shocks, skids, rails, etc.

Big bumps are not really my thing, but one good thing about Arctic Cats is generally that they handle better the harder you ride them.
A rear skid mod I put on my ( 2011 ) Crossfire 141" is the HyGear Pro Linkage kit that repositions the rear shock and replaces the link rods for a more rising rate geometry.
The Crossfire runs coil-overs on Fox Zero-pros, and rides really well.
I have also replaced the rear link rods on my ( 2010 ) M8 153" to accommodate the Dual pressure reservoir added to the rear Fox air shock (revalved) for a much improved ride.
Good tips there with the Hygear link. (y)
Does the Crossfire ( 2009-2011 ) shocks fit the M/HCR ( 2009-2011 ) models ?
....Crossfire coil-over shocks probably would be better suited for big bump and rough terrain riding then the M/HCR shocks if they fit the skid !?!?
What rear link rods are you referring to ?

Good tips there with the Hygear link. (y)
Does the Crossfire ( 2009-2011 ) shocks fit the M/HCR ( 2009-2011 ) models ?
....Crossfire coil-over shocks probably would be better suited for big bump and rough terrain riding then the M/HCR shocks if they fit the skid !?!?
What rear link rods are you referring to ?
Not sure about the shock interchange-ability between the M's & the Crossfires, but the base M's & HCRs came with coil-over Fox Zero-Pros as well; I believe they are still available from Cat. They are a decent shock for the low price; rebuild-able & customize-able, ie; many spring options from single rate to double or triple rate. The HyGear kit that I have/recommend is #73-35-001A; it's listed for a 141 skid, but if you look further it fits the M8/HCR 153 & changes the rear suspension to more of a rising rate geometry. I ride my '11 Crossfire in the early & late season snows & the only real difference between it & the HCR is a 141 skid vs a 153 skid (maybe gearing) as both have a 42" to 44" front end.

Not sure about the shock interchange-ability between the M's & the Crossfires, but the base M's & HCRs came also with coil-over Fox Zero-Pros as well.
They are a decent shock. They are rebuild-able & customize-able and have many spring options from single rate to double or triple rate.
The HyGear kit that I have/recommend is #73-35-001A It's listed for a 141" skid, but it fits the 153" & 162" also and changes the rear suspension to more of a rising rate geometry.
(y) Good input.

Premium Features

Back