• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1200 four-stroker - goods and bads

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
I'm very interested in purchasing a 1200 renegade and converting it to a mountain sled. (you know, like a long track and turbo) I would like anyone who owns one to give an opinion on the handling of the sled. I currently own an XP, so if you could compare to that, even better. I know the sled is heavier, how much of a difference did it make in the snow? And yes I know a turbo will help with the weight issue. And people who already have turbo'd this sled please chime in with your .02. Thanks!

B
May 11, 2009
okanogan,wa
The sled feels heavier because of the wide stance&mxz rear skid.So i would put a summit skid under it and a arms.This should make all the difference in the world.I just built one this spring with a mcx turbo.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I believe the ONLY narrow ski stance on a Renegade is on the Backcountry which the 1200 is not an option. If you want a 1200 summit it will cost you quite a bit but it will be better then any production sled you could have gotten.
You could buy a crashed xp and use the tunnel, skid and maybe even front end off of it.

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
The sled feels heavier because of the wide stance&mxz rear skid.So i would put a summit skid under it and a arms.This should make all the difference in the world.I just built one this spring with a mcx turbo.

OMG...."feels heavier" from the wide front, YUP!! and the extra 75 lbs over the skis might be part of it...YES a Summit front end/Mountain Tamer/no sway bar would be huge BUT the motor still weighs #135 plus #25 for a turbo kit (800R weighs #80)...

I have a 146" Renegade X Turbo...weighs a solid 100+ lbs more than my 09' HC Summit w/SHR860R...Turbo sled is for sale...BJ

edit- The new BC Renegade has the narrow stance..the 2009's have MXZ front ends...

S
Nov 29, 2008
Falkland BC
Banner Motorsports in Kelowna/ Vernon BC is building turnkey 1200 turbo mountain sleds, 260 hp @ 10 lbs of boost on 91 octane gas, comes with a wicked air ride suspension CR racing tunnel and warranty for $33,000 cdn

Last edited:
S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
Banner Motorsports in Kelowna/ Vernon BC is building turnkey 1200 turbo mountain sleds, 260 hp @ 10 lbs of boost on 91 octane gas, comes with a wicked air ride suspension CR racing tunnel and warranty for $33,000 cdn

that must be in canadian money !!!:eek:

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Still almost $30k US:eek:

Supposidly this is one badazz motor for turboing but the downside is it's heavy but how many people love their TNytro's in the mountains???....quite a few from what I know and this 4-stroke Ski Doo is lighter then the Nytro, he11 it's about par with the Cat1000.

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
Still almost $30k US:eek:

Supposidly this is one badazz motor for turboing but the downside is it's heavy but how many people love their TNytro's in the mountains???....quite a few from what I know and this 4-stroke Ski Doo is lighter then the Nytro, he11 it's about par with the Cat1000.

i agree ! but i will wait till the xp1200 comes out ( if it ever does ) should be lighter and setup with a longtrack ! then add ur turbo and maybe some suspention!!!
mike

S
Nov 29, 2008
Falkland BC
I don't think it would be an advantage to put the 1200 in the XP chassis, what makes the XP work well is the lightweight and balance of the sled, you would be farther ahead putting NOS or a turbo on the 800than trying to shoehorn the 4 stroke into it, if you want the 4 stroke , I'd go with the chassis that it was designed to fit in, adapt a mountain tunnel and skid to it , add a turbo and hold on for dear life !
The 1200 turbo I mentioned earlier already has all the R&D done on it, it was designed and tested by Banner Motorsports/CR Racing, I haven't rode it myself, but I know a few guys that have, and they say it is unbelievably nimble [ thats coming from XP riders] has zero turbo lag and has run without a hiccup all winter. pricey ? yes, but you would be hardpressed to build an equal sled for the price, I wish I could afford one right now !!!!!!

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I don't think it would be an advantage to put the 1200 in the XP chassis, what makes the XP work well is the lightweight and balance of the sled, you would be farther ahead putting NOS or a turbo on the 800than trying to shoehorn the 4 stroke into it, if you want the 4 stroke , I'd go with the chassis that it was designed to fit in, adapt a mountain tunnel and skid to it , add a turbo and hold on for dear life !
The 1200 turbo I mentioned earlier already has all the R&D done on it, it was designed and tested by Banner Motorsports/CR Racing, I haven't rode it myself, but I know a few guys that have, and they say it is unbelievably nimble [ thats coming from XP riders] has zero turbo lag and has run without a hiccup all winter. pricey ? yes, but you would be hardpressed to build an equal sled for the price, I wish I could afford one right now !!!!!!

XP/XR are the same sled...motor cradle/plastics being the only difference...

My 1200T is heavy vs a 860R XP...BUT its LIGHT compared to the Yamahas...HOW they ride them (short of point/shoot) is beyond me..BJ

Premium Features