• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1100T Cooke City New Sled Riding Review

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Just got back from Cook City last night late. Rode in from the parking lot

Rode Mon-Wed

Snow conditions were pretty bad. Cooke Needs snow (Just like everywhere else)

Snow was not set up at all until Monday afternoon. (They got a storm Friday/Sat just before we got there)

Rocks and land mines everywhere......

The bad news

First thing I noticed is the skis. They are brutal! This sled dives Baaadddd!! in deep powder, especially downhill off throttle. A new set of Simmons Gen 3's are on order!

There were times when I was going downhill in untracked fluff, when the sled dove so bad, I thought it would keep going and nose over.

On the trail, the skis dated all over the place as well. That could have been set up, but I dont think changing the set up will have much effect on darting.

The skis do not have enough area on them for proper flotation.

The steering was brutal. I found myself bending down way too far to keep that thing on a side hill. As soon as the vertical steering comes, I will be getting that. The amount of steering throw seemed fine though, it is just the angle of the post that makes it ackward to sidehill.... With the right effort it would sidehill.

Snowflap: Brutal! I had an aftermarket flap on my sled, Hilly still had the stock flap on his 1100T. The lack of area in which to grip the rear bumper on the stock flap is pathetic. No way can two guys get their hands on the bumper to lift it out of a hole. I liked my flap much better, even though it kept getting caught up in the track (I am going to trim that sucker off a few inches)

Weight: It is what everybody thinks it is - Heavy. It feels heavy when trying to get it unstuck, and sidehilling (THe steering plays a role in the sidehilling part though)

The good news:

This sled pulls like a Mofo! When you grab throttle it pulls on your arms unlike anything I have ever ridden. The second day my forearms and hands hurt from hanging on under power. You have a total feeling of confidence that you will make it up a hill with that kind of power.

Trail performance: Outstanding! It rolls over those "corn on the cob" "Whoopty doops" extremely well.

Goggle bag: It is fantastic! We put sammiches in there and they were hot and the cheese was melted. Muff pot,,,,,,,,, schmuff pot, you dont need one of those.

Handwarmers/thumbwarmers: Worked extremely well. low was plenty for most situations, high got very hot and was nice for very cold conditions.

Fuel mileage: Great!! We rode mainly off trail and I was shocked on how good the fuel use was. Hilly and I both got just over 10 mpg. That is on two identical sleds with the same amount of miles +- 130
I think that number will improve as the sled loosens up even more.

Starting: Every morning at 10-15 degrees, the engine immediately started.

Belt life: No issue there, I put on about 130 miles and the belt looked brand new. By the way, I only babied this thing to break it in, on the way in from the parking area, of about 10 miles or so. As soon as I hit powder, it was WFO through the trees, and play areas.

Ski stance: I dont think you need the 38" stance, the sled rolled over very easily

Jumpability: I am no expert jumper by any means, but there were a few times when I got her in the air and it handles the landing quite well. The shocks work very well.

Overall comments:

The Arctic Cat vision for this sled: A
Execution in delivering that vision: B-

Would I buy that same sled again if I knew then what I know now? YEP!

Does it have limitations? YEP! but how I ride and where I ride, the limitations dont get uncovered very easily.

If you expect it to ride like a Pro or Proclimb 800, you will be sorely dissappointed.

I know this is a bit of a fickle review, but I truly tell you that there is so much that I like about this sled, and a few things I hate. Given more time on the sled, those "Hate" items will turn into "dislike" items.

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Not many pics, especially of the 1100T

Got the Gopro going and as soon as I can figure out how to playback the videos (I see them on the memory card but I cannot get them to play on the camera or on the PC), I will post those.

A buddy of mine was shadowing me on his PC8 with his gopro on, and we were going up thhrough trees, he got a great video of me WFO on a step uphill picking around trees and roosting the heck out of his camera as he is ducking to avoid getting roosted.

Watched that vid from his camera, and as soon as I get it from him, I will youtube it.....

Reactions: Arctic Thunder

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Great write-up Jeff. Look forward to hearing what difference the vert post and change in skis make.

Sorry not trying to rub it in, but to bad you guys did not get there until sunday. Outside of the tragedies, saturdays snow was a blast. A couple longer videos, but gives you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA_RSTEfXZw

http://youtu.be/e1yRXqkZfB8

By saturday afternoon, things were pretty tracked up.

Post your videos as soon as you can.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Chewy:

We actually had good snow North and east of roundlake area..... We were the ones tracking up the snow, and did not see anyone until our last day .......

Is the area of your video on the far east side of Cooke?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Chewy:

We actually had good snow North and east of roundlake area..... We were the ones tracking up the snow, and did not see anyone until our last day .......

What you gotta pay for the gen 3's? I am likely going to try a pair of SLP powder pros out west from a buddy. I can't beleive that 1 inch wider is going to do to much compared to have the gen 3 would.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chewy:

Looks to be "this side" of Mt. Abundance. It's the first place I head when there's fresh snow in Cooke. Then above round lake, then sheep basin, then finding out how far the wilderness signs have moved in from the year before.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
then finding out how far the wilderness signs have moved in from the year before.

LOL...funny sh!t...just run those damn signs over....

Just kidding and outside of finding the humor in your comment it is not funny how those signs do seem to move closer in each year. But they can't move the GPS lines....:face-icon-small-win

Rick is spot on....below ("this side") of Mt. Abundance. And we also tend to hit this spot first, right after it snows. This trip the snow seemed a little deeper on the Daisey side, felt more safe anyways. Round Lake was a little nerve wracking, to many land mines pocking through the snow. Back side (north) of round lake was not to bad, but pretty tracked up by the time we got there saturday afternoon. We rode thurs, fri and sat.

Overall, they do need more snow. First trip we've made this early and saw things uncovered we've never seen before, outside of the summer trips.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Wilderness signs:

A guy in our group that goes out to Cooke way more often than I, said a few times during our trip: "I could have sworn the last time we were here the signs were 100+ feet on the other side of the creek. They seem to be creeping inwards"

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Nice write up, I would agree 100% on everything you said. I really think the vert. post will do way more for this sled than the narrow stance. The 1100t makes a good running PC800 look like a 550 fan climbing, it's just stupid how hard it pulls for a stock sled.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
does the engine breaking add to the diving affect (or effect?) ya know they are tanks, but does throttle play help?

Engine braking is a thing of the past......

It seemed like on my sled the clutch would break free and free wheel unless you kept the rpm's up..... (Other 1100T guys can probably chime in and give a better description of what happens)

No more engine braking than a two stroker, and I think there is less actually once it free wheels....

Reactions: tblotske
H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Hilly's thought's

I was on this trip with Jeff C, for me the skis were just fine. I'm heading in the direction of getting the vert steering post and 38 inch narrow a arm kit when they become available. The conventional steering really hinders this sled after coming off an M series with the vert post. Yes the sled is heavy know way around that fact, but oh the fun factor! it puts a smile on your face a mile wide everytime you hit that flipper. I hope with the few tweaks I mentioned it will only get better. Oh and I loved the butt warmer too! Got 160 miles on her so far, time for an oil change. Heres a few pics.

Cooke 1.jpg Cooke 2.jpg Cooke 3.jpg Cooke 4.jpg Cooke 5.jpg

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Just looked over my belt and clutches all looked good, A bit more on the conventional steering, the bars pivoted too low towards my crotch area not allowing me to get the amount of leverage I needed to hold a side hill with ease. Yes it can be done, just with more input and effort. I feel a vert post will make this much easier. Overall I'm happy.:face-icon-small-hap

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Since you plenty of extra space in that area. She said.

Owen

O

I knew it would not take long for you to chime in,,,,,,,, but frankly you are right...... During this trip I walked over to his room and saw him coming out of the bathroom freshly out of the shower......:face-icon-small-fro

It about blinded me for life

Something about a "button on a fur coat" comes to mind...... DOH!!! LOL

Not pretty

Last edited:
J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Agree!!!

Hey let's keep this post on topic! :face-icon-small-blu

What do pictures of stuck Pro RMK's have to do with 1100T's!?!?!?

Just from observing this ride, you could see Hilly and Jeff C get more and more comfortable on this sled as time went on and they didn't exactly have any time to get used to the sled before they were thrown into the trees!!

It's interesting to see how far 4-strokes have come in the past 10 years. There were a few instances during the trip where I actually thought I might want an 1100T. Just from watching them go, I think it's a great sled. If you want big-time HP that is reliable and can run on pump gas, a 4-stroke turbo is the only way to go. If they put a vertical post on this sled it's going to be great. Just don't get it stuck, or if you do, make sure you have at least 3 friends!!

Joe

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Jeff -

When I rode with my dealer a month ago I thought the 1100t's skis looked too narrow. The snow was hard packed crap that day so I did not have the opportunity to see whether or not they would work off trail or not.

The original 2003 RX1 Mountain had narrow skis on it (same width as the trail sleds). Eventually Yamaha figured it out and put a wider ski on the mountain sleds, and my guess is Cat will too. In deep early season fluffy snow ("Champagne Powder" if you are familiar with the Steamboat CO ski area slogan) the stock RX1s would plow through the snow. Throw on a set of SLP Powder Pros (like I did) or Simmons - and they would help get the heavy front end to float better in the snow.

Those narrower skis may work perfect on the 800 2 strokes, but I think 4 strokes need wider skis (at least where I ride) to work. All theory on my side though - I have a few miles of seat time on a PC800, and no seat time on the 1100t.

tk

Premium Features