• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Dragon which skis???

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
What skis work the best ... least amount of sterring effort a must ,,, best deep snow I have tried the simmons gen1 and 2 tried the powder pros, sly dogs and so far the stock sidehillers work the best,, any one try the SLT skis??

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Yea I wondered what the effects of the cuts were??. I felt the stock skis were verry much like then powder pros IMO

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
yea Thats kinda where Im at,,, I tried all the ones I mentioned and so far the grippers work the best. the only one I havent tried is the SLT,,, was looking for less stering effort the sly dogs had the least effort,,,,,,,,,,,, buttttt also didnt turn either so that didnt work so well.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Save your money, the stock skis work just fine. You will not notice a performance increase relative to the money you spend on the ski's versus other aftermarket items with more bang for the buck so to speak.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
The factory Grippers are the best factory powder ski out there. Spend your hard earned money on something that will actually be an upgrade.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
stock sidehillers work the best,, any one try the SLT skis??[/QUOTE]

I hope yours came stock with Grippers not Sidehillers! Grippers are what I prefer all around over the others you listed. I personally have not ridden the Sly Dogs though, so no comment on those.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
which one comes on the 09 dragon ???thats what Im back to,, I still want to try the SLT to see if it turns easier and still turns,, unlike the sly dogs.. just trying to get the stering effort down a little I will use the Timber front end this season with better radius or mabe the holz spindle but I hear they dont do much ,,,but they say the have a new and improved on commin for the 09 dragons but we will see.

Last edited:
B
Dec 21, 2007
Good topic for me. I have a 07 Dragon I have tried both the Simmons Gen 2 and the Powder Pros. I came off a edge chassis that I had the Gen 2 on. I loved the skis on it but hate them on my Dragon. Which ski is not squirrly on the trail ? Both of these were pretty sketchy on the trail darting back and forth. I hate that feeling I want it to track straight. I changed the crappy walker air shocks for Fox Zeros and that helped. It is just the chassis VS the Edge. I love everything about the chassis but the darting on the trail. Will different spindles or stock grippers help ?

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Good topic for me. I have a 07 Dragon I have tried both the Simmons Gen 2 and the Powder Pros. I came off a edge chassis that I had the Gen 2 on. I loved the skis on it but hate them on my Dragon. Which ski is not squirrly on the trail ? Both of these were pretty sketchy on the trail darting back and forth. I hate that feeling I want it to track straight. I changed the crappy walker air shocks for Fox Zeros and that helped. It is just the chassis VS the Edge. I love everything about the chassis but the darting on the trail. Will different spindles or stock grippers help ?

Check your ski alignment to fix the darting issue. Usually 1/8"-1/4" of toe out will fix darting.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
OK I can't watch another Ski thread without saying something. There are 2 MAJOR issues that I don't see get discussed in the threads about skis. Many people on here take it for granted that the person asking the questions or doing the "testing" has addressed these 2 issues. But I will also bet Money that most times it has not been addressed, just by reading many of these threads.

I'm not saying that KAWGRN or the others havn't done it in this case either, There's too much up to personal feel and what your looking for out of the ski to say that.

First Issue, Is it a fair comparison to swap skis and either rave about them or scream about them if you haven't adjusted the chassis setup to work correctly with the ski?

No, Different skis have many different designs and profiles in relation to where the 2 things that do most of the work are. The Wear bars/keel, and the the main part of the ski which I call the "Deck" of the ski. Then those two things relationship to where the spindle attaches to the ski. Forward, Aft, Up and Down.

I will put money on the fact that any aftermarket ski is not going to perform it's best where your sled is set up for the stock ski.

Second issue, Is the sled set up correctly to optimize the performance of the stock or current ski along with the rest of the chassis for the current conditions?

Many times like mentioned above there can be issues that get blamed on the ski (darting, pushing, too aggressive, etc) that can be easily cured with Proper Alignment, Camber Adjustments, Shock Setup, and General Maintenance.

That being Said, I run Powder Pros on mine with the Carl's Cycle cut (I did it myself) and couldn't be happier. They work Perfectly for WHAT I WANT THEM TO DO, the Stock Grippers are a very close second and to tell the truth if I didn't already have the powder pros from my last sled I wouldn't drop the Extra cash on them.

Premium Features