• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 backfiring and more

F
Dec 25, 2010
Hi guys looking for a little help. I've been getting serious run around from two shops in town and out of ideas. Pick up 05 900 a month ago and started going thru it. Replaced fuel filter and det. sensor. Sensor was active code. Code cleared sled ran great for about 20 miles. About a half hour into ride started getting very doggie progresivly worse add to it backfireing. Changed out plugs, drained out tank put in cleaner and new fuel. Seems like dumping in tons of fuel, exhaust is glowing red in short time. no codes. cuts in and out occasionaly at full throttle but mainly before half. runs better with getting on and off throttle than holding on it. Any ideas? suppose to leave in three days to ride for a week

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
Lots of things are going through my mind right now, about what it could be, and there is one thing that stands out. TPS setting. If this is not set correctly, or the sensor has gone bad(like mine did) it will give you night mares!! Back firing, and hickuping is one of the traits. Will your sled go into reverse easily when you hit the perc button? If it stalls, or won't go in, this is another sign your tps is out. Do a search, on tps, there is lots of info on it. You will start by building your own tps setting tool, which is really easy, you just need to make a trip to the parts store. Also is your sled eating coolant? When my o-rings when on my head, and it started to leak in one cylinder, my machine was doing weird stuff. I've been in your shoes a few times with mine, on a road trip, and things started to go south. It sucks!! Lets see if we can help you.

F
Dec 25, 2010
I will dig into that tonight and see were its set at. I did run ohms and wireing tests already and all passed. Also check injectors but haven't pulled them yet. Haven't had any problems with using coolant. Just burning excessive amounts of fuel or should i say not burning. I was also planning on pulling startor off and checking wireing. Sled sat for a few years might be something in there. Not sure read something about injectors clogging from float. Is there another way to clean them that I don't know about.
Thanks for the help guys! been trying to look back over other problems just seems to be alot. Any ideas will help!

F
Dec 25, 2010
I was also wondering if anyone had a link for a manual or just setting procedure of tps. I have tried many and none have opened.
Thanks

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
The only way I know of cleaning your injectors, is by removing them and sending them to your local, or not so local injector servicing shop. They will flow meter test them, before and after, and tell you how clogged they were, and they will clean them with their machine. Your injector has a solenoid type mechanism in them, so cleaning them at home isn't possible. It costed me about $60 bucks to get mine done this summer. Well worth it I think.

F
Dec 25, 2010
Thanks guys for your help wasn't sure were to start at. I dug into and found that when it was rebuilt a few years ago they didn't put one of the wire keepers back in for trs wireing. Wire was rubbing on flywheel. Back up and running now, headed west for the week to see what else i can break!!! thanks again!

Reactions: BIGGDAWG
F
Dec 25, 2010
It would be the timing reference sensor, or the timing position sensor not sure what they are calling it. Many different names same purpose. Hope this problem can helped someone .

Reactions: SwitchbackRick

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
It would be the timing reference sensor, or the timing position sensor not sure what they are calling it. Many different names same purpose. Hope this problem can helped someone .

so was the crank position sensor broken? or was the gap not correct? just curious.

Premium Features