• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

You think this years 800's are going to get beat up by 7's again?

J
Mar 7, 2008
I have more faith in 800's not having crank issues than I do a M8 cat beating a 700 or an 800.
I'll tell ya that for free !
No need to argue about it i'll be proving it all winter.

T

trench

Nov 28, 2007
I have both d-7 and d-8

Both great machines, Both set up real well .
You can think , the 7-d does good , The 7 will have to turn out in the 8's tracks in the deep and steep every time same rider. In my case ,If thats your thing...
The 7 makes alot of 800's take a second look though.
Any 8's that arn't dialed in 100% the 7 will shine.:eek:

Flit-e

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Riverton, Mountain View..Wyoming
I hope not my bro has a 07/700/155 im hoping to beat up on him a little bit:devil::devil:...rode a 07/600 last year enjoyed every minute of it...

Watched my bros stock d7 out climb my dads 05/800/159 with mods:eek::eek:

BRING ON THE SNOW:beer;:beer;:D:D:):beer;

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
when my D-8 was new and stock last year I rode with a D-7..it couldnt come close to out climbing the 8..if you are seeing that on stock sleds/equal riders..the dealer sucks....or had a big inventory of 7's he wanted to sell........

S
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, MN
everyone knows the 8 is faster but remeber alot of guys on 8's were suprised by the 600 when setup spot on. it just depends on if its running right (ie clutch, jetting-for a carb 600-, gearing, track size, and mods done) who cares. someones always going to be faster. everyone just needs to be doing SNOW dances to get this season started

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
Anyone who thinks the d7 will spank the d8 is a few screws short! I have owned both each with various set-ups and the 7 was a great, fun, all round blast to ride but it didn't have near the poop as the 8 did in a steep and deep climb. I'm not saying you haven't seen a good rider on a 7 outperform a mediocre rider on an 8, but with the same rider on both and both sleds being set up properly the 7 doesn't do it. Close, but not quite there. Sorry:face-icon-small-win

S
Nov 5, 2008
Boise, ID
It depends on the rider and also the setup. if the sled is setup well then they will run like they should. My friend got a new m8 and another got the M1000. First ride neither of them had the sled set up right. On my d7 I was blowing both of them out of the water. Both got sleds tuned in and d7 was still pull with the m8 but the m1000 took them both by a long way. Excited to take my 09/d8 out to see how it does. think snow

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
we had a demo d7 and a demo d8 last year both stock and the d8 walked all over the d7.... maybe we just got a lucky one i dunno.... i'm gonna be really pissed if a stock d7 beats my new 800;)

If that happens and you want to get rid of yours let me know!!!!!!!!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I purchased an 08 D8 from Jack at Carl's last year. It was one of his personal test bed sleds. It was lightly modified when I got it and it would run away from similarly modified 700s so I am a little baffled about the content of this thread. Both are good sleds as is the 600 HO. I have one of those too. I honestly never saw a 700 that could out perform the D8s that I rode with assuming the riders were of equal ability.

The guy who wrote about the Cats was funny. I never saw an M8 that would run with the D8s in our group, again as long as the riders were equal. The XP was a magnificent backcountry machine last year. I don't like the way that they handle and the sleds that I saw had more maintenance issues than I would like to deal with but, IMO, the D8 and the XP are the two best mountain sleds. I believe that Snowest has great things to say about the new M8 but it is radically different than the 08 model.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Trust me the new IQ chassis is light years ahead of my old edge chassis, why do you think I bought one this year? ;) I rode with a D7 all last year in every single type of snow condition. Even rode that sled a couple times myself. It couldn't ever walk or outclimb me. My edge has almost every mod you can throw at it, his D7 was stock. Both pulling correct rpms. His 155X 2.4 did float better than my 159 x 2" edge. I am not biased, I tell it like it is unlike many people on this forum. You guys take stuff too personal around here lol. My Liberty motor is getting the full IndyDan treatment as we speak. I'm not worried about that motor holding up now...

I think that right there is the reason, put an equally modded D7 up against it and be prepard to get walked on ;) Compare apples to apples.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I agree but the track and lightweight factor of the D7 is light years ahead of my edge so there is another thing to throw into that equation, not just engine mods. Cause we all know a 510lb sled will not outclimb a 460lb sled with the same power/track. I still will never understand why people think the old big block 800's can't make power though... I'll get a vid this year between my D8, buddies D7, and my edge mod (switching sleds between riders too) and we can see the difference between each.

Last edited:
Premium Features