• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha Sidewinder Electric Start Delete

B
Jan 12, 2023
Idaho
Ive been doing a lot of research and looking around for any information on deleting the electric starter on a Yamaha sidewinder. This would lighten the sled up quite a bit but the problem I am finding is that there is no information on if you could add a manual pull starter. Has anyone heard anything on this topic?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Sorry bud, there is no real way to delete the electric start on a sidewinder or really any of the 4 stroke sleds.

I have seen videos of people starting other 4 strokes like the Nytro and Viper with a rope around the clutch when their starter failed in the backcountry. Trying to pull over a cold 4 stroke sounds like a good way to dislocate your shoulder though.

B
Jan 12, 2023
Idaho
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen when a starter fails and it does not look fun to deal with. Often times it takes quite a while for it to start. Would there be any way theoretically to custom-fab a pull start that would fit a four-stroke? Or would this be impossible even if you had a manual start because of the strength needed to pull start a big four-stroke like this? I assume the high compression and the additional cylinder over the two strokes are the main factors in why it would be so hard.

Sep 19, 2010
b.c.
U would still need a battery for the sled to run properly. Dont think u would really save that much weight. Do u have a light weight hood ? That is a lot of weight saving?

B
Jan 12, 2023
Idaho
I have the lightweight hood from CR Racing and it works great. I am a smaller guy however and want my sled to be under 600 pounds. I have a lot of contacts in the fabrication industry so I don't think it would be too hard to come up with a custom or modified manual starter. If It is even possible. I think with some wiring and a few other modifications the sled would be able to run without a battery. Not sure though, don't have a background in four-stroke snowmobiles whatsoever. Appreciate the feedback.

X
Oct 8, 2009
You're wasting time and money if you pursue that option. My lightweight lithium battery is 2.5 pounds. The starter maybe weighs 7 to 8 pounds. I can weight it if you're curious. The short of the story is most of the mass in a 4 stroke is in the head casting and block casting. Go for weight loss elsewhere on the sled. You can drop a lot of weight with a bdx shortened spindles kit, antigravity lithium battery, lightweight hood, a belt drive, a light weight single ply camso track, lightened seat, carbon suspension, etc. Pick your favorites from that list. I have spent a bunch of money making custom parts. To do what you want you will spend thousands for a result that is more of a pain than it is worth...all for a couple pounds on a 600 pound sled. Do not underestimate how challenging it is to rebuild the electronics on a sled to do what you want using capacitors. You will have to rebuild the ECU to control everything. It isn't just swap parts and let'r rip. My motec m130 was 8k to develop the software, setup, and tune.

Premium Features