• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WTF clutch heat 09 m1000

C
Nov 26, 2007
castlegar
I have a 09 m1000 162, with stock cluching. The clutches get smoking hot and it blows belts so I geared it down to m8 gears and there was no change in heat. Im woundering if I should take a little weight away from the primary, it has 80g right now. Also Im thinking of going to a 046 belt.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
get some vents! side vents, shock tower vents, and vents that go on each side of the speedo, that will help you a lot. You should also check your clutch alignment and belt clearence. I dont know about the weights though.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
the 046 is the m8 xfire8 belt, will that hold up on an M1000, or is it recommended for the 1000 too?

C
Feb 1, 2008
Do you have a titanium drive spring in the primary? If so get rid of it because it doesn't fit correctly onto the cup on the cover side of the primary and it causes binding. 80 grams should not slip. I run 73 grams with a Polaris drive spring, 42-36 helix, orange secondary spring with shift assist, ZERO venting and a 046 belt and have even temps on both clutches. No evidence of belt slippage. Warm after hard pulls but I can hold a bare hand on both of them. Hope this helps.:beer;

M
Nov 27, 2007
I have a 09 m1000 162, with stock cluching. The clutches get smoking hot and it blows belts so I geared it down to m8 gears and there was no change in heat. Im woundering if I should take a little weight away from the primary, it has 80g right now. Also Im thinking of going to a 046 belt.

I have an 07 and run 046 original belt 1000 miles still going strong. Venting wont help your problem your belt is slipping and the problem is the secondary. This has been beat to death on here so there is lots of reading to do. What i did is converted mine to an M7 white spring and 36 degree helix belt heat gone track speed up and also found that 80 grams isnt enough so in with 83s havent tried them in elevation yet but i was reving as high as 7600 rpm with the 80s. Also have heard that the RKT kit works good also the Cutler, I have not tried either kit personally. One other thing to keep in mind is this clutching likes a tight belt so deflection is really important. I have also heard that the 60 belt is not the answer. I ride the Valemont,McBride area if you are wondering about the weights.

C
Feb 1, 2008
Do you have a titanium drive spring in the primary? If so get rid of it because it doesn't fit correctly onto the cup on the cover side of the primary and it causes binding. 80 grams should not slip. I run 73 grams with a Polaris drive spring, 42-36 helix, orange secondary spring with shift assist, ZERO venting and a 046 belt and have even temps on both clutches. No evidence of belt slippage. Warm after hard pulls but I can hold a bare hand on both of them. Hope this helps.:beer;

Referring above to an '09 M8. Also have 2 M1000's and have never had excessive primary heat issues while running non titanium primary springs.

Premium Features