• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who was the member who used a MTN fit headlight delete as just a headlight cover?

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I saw pics of a sled on here a while go, really nice sled. 700 or 800 dragon/RMK. Where the owner had taken, I believe it was a MTN Fit headlight delete kit, cut off the tabs, added velcro, and used it as a headlight cover. Anyone know who that was? I would really like to do this to mine as well. But want to talk to him first.

Thanks.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i did it at the beginning of last season, worked great, lights do put a couple heat demples in the cover though

R

raymonddean03

Jan 21, 2008
MT
i did the exact same thing on my 08 700 dragon, trimmed the delete kit to fit my headlight all nice like, used velcro to hold it down, i rode it with the cover for two days and the headlight melted! a quarter sized ugly cloudy spot on the left bulb. i was i little supset to say the least when i noticed it. directly in front of the bulbs the cover started to distort a little too. must just hold the heat in enough to melt it. so i bought the headlight/intake piece from fire n ice. love it. like works great but quite not as good as the oe one. lost a couple lbs and it acts like a "ram air" piece getting cold clean air in the air box. thats my 2 bits.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i put velcro behind the demples, and never had any problems with it melting or leaving residue on the headlight itself... rode with it that way for a good 6-700 miles until i rolled it into a tree and broke it

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
O ok, the dimples wouldn't bother me, like you said I'd put velcrow behind it in those spots. But since raymonddean03 had his head light melt on him I'm a bit scared to do it now. Would look killer on my sled though along with what I want to do to it.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
Headligh cover

I made a similar headlight cover for my RMK last season, but i used the headlight as a mold and made the cover out of glasfiber. Took a little time too smooth out the glasfiber before painting it, but after a couple of hours sanding it became pretty good.
I have earlier experienced that the headlight melted when i added headlight covers, so i just mounted an extra kill switch too the front bulbs. so when i had the cover on i just turned off the light:)

Here`s a couple of pictures;)

bruk1.jpg bruk2.jpg

Last edited:
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I made a similar headlight cover for my RMK last season, but i used the headlight as a mold and made the cover out of glasfiber. Took a little time too smooth out the glasfiber before painting it, but after a couple of hours sanding it became pretty good.
I have earlier experienced that the headlight melted when i added headlight covers, so i just mounted an extra kill switch too the front bulbs. so when i had the cover on i just turned off the light:)

Here`s a couple of pictures;)

that turned out good! you should make a mold and sell those on here, i'd buy one

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Wow yeah that looks great! Really nice job. So that works with the 800's? To turn off the lights? I thought of that but figured I might have to much unused power coming from my stator then and end up wreaking something.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
It turned out better than i had expected, i`m working on a couple of covers for some friends right now, and i have been thinking about starting selling them. But first I would have too make the finish a little better, don`t want to sell people crap:)
I checked with my local dealer to ensure that i didnt mess up the electronics on my sled, and they showed me how to do it. My sled is a HO model and I guess there is some difference on the CFI models, thinking about the injection system being more sensitive. But too make sure you dont get any problems you can mount a resistor(i think thats what they`re called in english) so that when you turn off the light this will take over the power consumption.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
they say to runa resistor but i ran with no headlight last year for about 6 rides and had no issues, i do have a 12 volt oil pump for the turbo, egt's, boost gauge back lightiing, and BD box that draws a little extra power too tho

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
O ok, so were do you wire in a resistor, do you know? And yeah, I;m thinking for you your using enough with your oil pump and BD box for it to still work. Have heard of guys who even just run an extra set of hand warmers somewhere. Just to use up some power. But that's kinda a farmers fix if you ask me. If I'm going to do this I want to do it right.

Premium Features