• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whats the best thing(s) I can do to make my sled more nimble?

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
So right now I am compling a list for my 900 RMK:

-Holz spindles
-Gripper Skis (C&A just have way to much steering effort)
-Two wheel kit w/ 9 inch MMP wheels
-Scratchers and loose the other bogies
-Rebuild all Ryde FX shocks stiffer

Now I want something that basically is going to be easier to lay down on its side. Im not saying that it is hard, but just make steering effort easier, and just an easier ride in the deep.

Some things that I have been thinking about....

-Stiffer front track spring 225lb (part #????)
-loose the sway bar??? (opinions on this)
-Holz or Timbersled front end (I like the narrow ski stance currently though)

So if you guys could give me the good :D and the bad :mad: that would be great thanks Jack.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
There has been more than one opinion about 900's out there, so here's mine. When I had mine, I had the 225 lb spring, took out the sway bar, and installed a left hand throttle. The sled was easier to handle after that. It was still a handfull in an off camber sidehill. The left hand throttle was a big help, I used to put 1 foot on the board and the other on top of the spindle to make it sidhill in tight spots.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
If you haven't gotten rid of the sway bar yet, DO IT NOW.

All i've done to mine is yank out the sway bar and simmons skis, made a -huuuge- difference.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Absolutely 100% DITCH THE SWAY BAR, my buddy rode his for 1800 miles b4 I finally yanked it out for him and he cannot believe he actually rode it the way it was before:eek::eek:

With the sway bar removed, he found the narrow stance was TOO tippy, so he put the skis all the way out, so that is something to keep in mind. B4 we yanked the sway bar out, I could not sidehill the sled, and I am use to sidehilling my old EDGE sled, now his is absolutely effortless by comparison.

Gripper Skis are awesome, arguably the best ski for that sled bar none:eek:

Springs and such are up to you, I think you are right in stiffening them up tho if you are going for nimble.

Good luck:beer;

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
like 94fordguy said loose the swaybar and widen your ski stance. Way better feel. Might need new front springs. The rmk front shocks dont have adjustible spring tension so I bought some zero- pros and will let you know how they work. Cut the bar out it will be easier than trying to yank it out of there, took us way to long.

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
Jack- I had holz front end "stock width" on my 9 with fox floats I took Carls cycles advice and went with a stiffer front swaybar and the 225 lb front track spring the sled rode the best that way

I ran it for a year without the sway bar with floats so I could adjust if needed. It wasnt bad but I prefer to have the sway bar on that sled

I think the 225 lb front track spring made the best difference though helped the sled transfer better making the sled easier to handle

If It were me I would drop as much weight as possible I have a used lexan hood with vent kit and gauge relocation bracket if you want it come pick them up

Oh yeah dont waste your money on anyother ski but grippers

Last edited:
J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Thanks guys for all the help....the sled is great for me I just want to make it a little more nice in the trees.

Jack- I had holz front end "stock width" on my 9 with fox floats I took Carls cycles advice and went with a stiffer front swaybar and the 225 lb front track spring the sled rode the best that way

I ran it for a year without the sway bar with floats so I could adjust if needed. It wasnt bad but I prefer to have the sway bar on that sled

I think the 225 lb front track spring made the best difference though helped the sled transfer better making the sled easier to handle

If It were me I would drop as much weight as possible I have a used lexan hood with vent kit and gauge relocation bracket if you want it come pick them up

Oh yeah dont waste your money on anyother ski but grippers

Crix,

I appreiciate the input, do you have the part number for the 225 spring. I think i am just going to take the rear skid out and do an overhaul myself (two wheel kit, MMP wheels, take off bogies, rebuild shocks, 225lb spring, new slides, grease everything and throw her back it.

How much you looking for the hood and relocation bracket??? What color?

Thanks man :beer; - Jack

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
Thanks guys for all the help....the sled is great for me I just want to make it a little more nice in the trees.

Crix,

I appreiciate the input, do you have the part number for the 225 spring. I think i am just going to take the rear skid out and do an overhaul myself (two wheel kit, MMP wheels, take off bogies, rebuild shocks, 225lb spring, new slides, grease everything and throw her back it.

How much you looking for the hood and relocation bracket??? What color?

Thanks man :beer; - Jack

The hood is still clear lexan black vents on it

Timbersled relocation bracket

You bring 20 bucks its all yours!!! the part number I dont have sorry

Caution about the mmp wheels I wouldnt touch them again after they ruined a trip of ours! They cracked in multipul spots and actually broke off a few spokes on a buddy of mines sled had to limp out 25 miles in the snowies

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
The hood is still clear lexan black vents on it

Timbersled relocation bracket

You bring 20 bucks its all yours!!! the part number I dont have sorry

Caution about the mmp wheels I wouldnt touch them again after they ruined a trip of ours! They cracked in multipul spots and actually broke off a few spokes on a buddy of mines sled had to limp out 25 miles in the snowies

20 Bucks....hell I cant pass that up!!! Maybe meet up tomorrow sometime...I drive through Savage on my way to work. Anyways I will PM you....

Ok after hearing that there is no way I will get the MMP wheels....when I drive 1000+ miles I want to ride not wrench....

Any suggestions on others? Avid, Iceage, slydog....etc...how bout just like 9 inch plastic wheels instead of billet?

Thanks, Jack

Premium Features