• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 Ski0Doo: Can it get any better????????

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Observation about the 2023 Summits now that some time has passed:

The 3 inch reduction in panel width is great, but it's asymmetrical. They took 2 inches off the clutch side and only 1 inch off the muffler side. Weird choice not to make it even. I wonder why they did that.

The tunnel isn't narrower and could not be since they stuck with the 16 inch wide track. Doo claims better cooling, but how? An explanation would be great.

Would be great to have them deal with the terrible ice build up in the tunnel. Cat and Poo shortened their heat exchangers - will Doo make a move in that direction?

Rotating mass decreased with a lighter track, which is great. Doo is limited in what they can doo about this issue since their clutches sit higher than those on a Polaris for example. Doo could, finally, move to a belt drive and reduce rotating mass more. Perhaps they've done the math on this and reducing the mass of the track is more bang for the buck.

The new clutch cooling setup is nice, but a band-aid. Why not fix the excessive heat issues as opposed to making a better vent for it? Seems like a beancounter's choice to keep the existing inefficient clutch setup and cheap it out with plastic changes.

Nice to see built-in storage back on the Summits. Still a lot less than what you get from Polaris but it's something.

LED headlights that people wanted - finally. They are uglier than the trail setup though. I guess be careful what you wish for.

Experts ditch t-motion and flex-edge track- thank God! If you've ridden a G4 with a c-motion swap or a real lockout you realize losing t-motion is probably the best move they've made on the 2023s Experts.

New skis, DS4. Would be great to get a detailed explanation as to who they compare to a DS3, and why they are better. Can we put them on a G4?

Last, any chance they've fixed that terrible removable snow flap that gets sucked into your track? All the engineering they put into the 2023s, you'd think they could fix a snowflap?
Couple things-

Theres a pic floating around somewhere of the new cooler, the coolants rounds the back of the tunnel in a perfect U shape rather than a goal post shape. Flows better maybe? Additional surface area?

As far as I know Doo hasn’t really had issues with belt life since 2017? I feel like the new clutch cooling system is simply an improvement rather than a band-aid. I'm really happy to see they isolated the clutches from the engine- I always thought it would be cool to do this along with a mtntk blowhole(thought it was dumb to pull hot air from the motor across the clutches), and they’ve done it by using fins on the clutches rather than an electric fan. I think its genius.

Its subjective, but I like the headlights. I think they look great on the black sled, but do look an awful lot like a ninja turtle or a racoon on the sleds that have a colored hood with the black fairing. Hard to unsee ? but I still like the looks, and the functionality really is the important part.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Couple things-

Theres a pic floating around somewhere of the new cooler, the coolants rounds the back of the tunnel in a perfect U shape rather than a goal post shape. Flows better maybe? Additional surface area?

As far as I know Doo hasn’t really had issues with belt life since 2017? I feel like the new clutch cooling system is simply an improvement rather than a band-aid. I'm really happy to see they isolated the clutches from the engine- I always thought it would be cool to do this along with a mtntk blowhole(thought it was dumb to pull hot air from the motor across the clutches), and they’ve done it by using fins on the clutches rather than an electric fan. I think its genius.

Its subjective, but I like the headlights. I think they look great on the black sled, but do look an awful lot like a ninja turtle or a racoon on the sleds that have a colored hood with the black fairing. Hard to unsee ? but I still like the looks, and the functionality really is the important part.
Raccoon wrap!!!!! That would be amazing.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I think they just sucked the panels in as much as they could without changing anything inside like the clutch or muffler. I wish they would have and made it symmetrical. I don't think the clutch vent is a bandaid, they added a motor mount and beefed up the clutch tower. Both of those should help alot and more cooling isn't a bad thing.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
It is less than an inch difference. Do you think you could tell when riding it?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
They could make it much better if they could figure out how to evacuate the 30lbs. of snow the Gen4's carry around all day, or have they? They could also make it much better if they could lighten these things up a bit, or have they?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
yes and you notice this big time especially when you go back to the wider ones
With respect, I think that is wrong.

The running boards got narrower, but not the tunnel. It's still a tunnel for a 16 inch wide track and did not change in width. See below:

1647561211620.png

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You are talking about wider stance which hasn't changed. Dave is talkig about narrower boards and going through the snow easier. Funny how long it took skidoo to figure that out.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
You are talking about wider stance which hasn't changed. Dave is talkig about narrower boards and going through the snow easier. Funny how long it took skidoo to figure that out.
Read it again. He confirmed that the running boards/tunnel got narrower. That is wrong. Only the running boards got narrower, not the tunnel.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I got to see the 2023s in person yesterday at their local show. They are noticeably less ugly than the pictures and social media would suggest.

A couple observations:

1. Boards are very narrow. You can tell the clutch side is narrower. If you wear snowboard boots, this may be an issue for you on the left side.
2. The side panel mounting system needs work.
3. I have concerns about the clutch side panel removal when the sled is out in the wild and covered in ice/snow. Hopefully unfounded.
4. The sound deadening around the muffler seems like it was an afterthought.
5. New gauge sure LOOKS fancy, I'm still unclear on it's usefulness in the mountains. I wasn't able to try out the nav without pairing it to my phone.
6. Expert had the two button gauge.

The sleds I saw were prototypes and although I couldn't see how many miles were on them, the side panel mechanisms were noticeably beat up and difficult to operate. A couple broken straps and one even had screws holding it on the sled so that it didn't pop out. on the top side.

We'll see what it all looks like when they hit the floors in the fall.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I got to see the 2023s in person yesterday at their local show. They are noticeably less ugly than the pictures and social media would suggest.

A couple observations:

1. Boards are very narrow. You can tell the clutch side is narrower. If you wear snowboard boots, this may be an issue for you on the left side.
3. I have concerns about the clutch side panel removal when the sled is out in the wild and covered in ice/snow. Hopefully unfounded.
5. New gauge sure LOOKS fancy, I'm still unclear on it's usefulness in the mountains. I wasn't able to try out the nav without pairing it to my phone.

The sleds I saw were prototypes and although I couldn't see how many miles were on them, the side panel mechanisms were noticeably beat up and difficult to operate. A couple broken straps and one even had screws holding it on the sled so that it didn't pop out. on the top side.

my buddies wear snowboard boots as boarding in the backcountry is a large part of their reason for owning a sled. they're not in the market now but they will be at some point and i wonder if that'll be an issue.
gauge to me is not much of a consideration because it's one of the last things i care about on a mountain sled.
others have mentioned the side panel issues as well.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com

A couple observations:

prototype sleds at shows are not riding sleds, they are super expensive to build and are usually painted and have 3d rendering of parts, they are not finished quality, no issues taking panels off in deep, i have been out in super deep all this past week, the ones that do ride also have parts that are 3d made, which is why we are not doing demos, navigation is through your phone, polaris has a gps chip in the sled, this means it has to go to a dealer to be fixed, ski doo has gone using your phone so it can be updated daily with anything new, this is more for trails that are added or closed, but means the gauge grows as new software is available, cheers dave

Premium Features