• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What are you guys doing for wire extensions??

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I think the largest wire in the factory Polaris steering post harness is 18 gauge... IMO, dont go with Checker/Kragen/Schuks/Oriely/Napa quality wire...
Whatever you get from whatever source has still got to better than the crap Polaris uses.

If you go with the deutch 12pin mini connector... you will have a clean splice at the harness and only have to solder/shrink at the cut off end for the extension.
These connectors are german made, mil spec, waterproof housings... top notch.
Probably pretty pricey, too? Never had a problem with the stock connectors... hell, i haven't had an issue with teh
Part # 74965K51

Both sources are fast and reasonable on shipping and take Creidt Card paymet over the phone without setting up an account.
Mcmaster is also a great source for fasteners, adhesives, electrical supplies, and lots of other stuff... much larger than Grainger and no account required.[/QUOTE]Protip: Grainger will do an "accomodation" for smaller orders. Benefit to Grainger is that there's local depots that carry quite a bit of stuff, so you may be able to get it same-day rather than wait on and pay for shipping. Another thing to keep in mind is free samples... call the mfgr and see what they can do for you.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Ok....I will cover my own stupidity....I had not riped apart the wiring as of yesterday afternoon..I have now and see the 12 wires you are talking about. Now I fully understand why you want this connectors!!! What a cluster of sh****

Anyway, I got the pivot riser and bars mounted up temporarily to see how it feels/looks. I feel that the bars are way to high up, I feel that my arms are almost at a 90 degree angle in the elbows....Im not short, Just about 6'1". It just feels so akward. Then when I sit down I feel like Im riding a chopper. Maybe I will get the powermadd pivot adapter out of there and replace it with my fly racing one...that should drop it an inch or so.

Just waiting on the wiring now..........maybe I will post some pics later......

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
OK so here is what i did today. Using male/female connectors and a spool of 16 gauge wire i spliced in 10 inches of extension. Looked like chit so i took it all apart and redid the whole job with butt connectors and the heat skrink wrapping on each wire. Looks 10 times better and now have a nice weather protected seal. I need to pick up some of the plastic housing to neatly pack all the wires in. I even have a bit more room to go up another inch or two if necessary. No wire pinching with bars turned full right or full left. All original stock plugs in place.

Now I can turn my attentions to my last two problems. 1.) trying to get the brake line thing figured out, 2.) going with stock kill switch for now....can figure out what the 2 tiny little black wires are for???

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
good to hear yours is coming along good....what sled is this on....the gen 2 as you mentioned earlier????

Whats going on with your brake line???

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
When I bought the Fabcraft bars they came with the SLP extended brake line for Edge chasis. My chasis is 01 Gen II (Snow Check Special in red) which takes a differnet SLP brake line than the Edge. I can't get the SLP or the stock line (which I have from my stock bars) disconnected from where they screw into the brake lever assembly at the handle bars.

Tomorrow I am going to bring them both by the Polaris dealer and see what magic they may have.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
For my 06 900, I used Polzinhunter's rider select delete and a Wilwood master cylinder (gets rid of the stock unit). I mounted the multifunction switch just behind the steering post in the blank area of the delete kit. That way, I didn't have to extend any wires and it gets rid of some of the clutter on the bars. I also added a billet throttle block and tether (to the console) instead of the kill switch. This way, you only have to extend the hand warmer wiring. I'll post a picture when I get home tonight:beer;

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've seen this on a couple of sleds...

Timbersled did this on their build in 2005.

attachment.php

Premium Features