• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What are you guys doing for wire extensions??

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Ok....so I am going for a much bigger rise in the handle bars...I had a 3 inch RSI riser with a fly pivot adapter and everything was great. Now I am going to a a powermadd pivot adapter and a 6.5 powermadd (the new polaris version) riser. Already extended the brake line...that is perfect....and the throttle cable has more than enough room after the re-route...

The problem; all the wires for the accesories are far to short, I guess there is a few options, cut the wires and get some soder and make them longer....re route the wires some how...or possibly buy some extension???? What have you guys done...I would like to keep all the controls on the handlebars as well. I need some input, pics, ideas, whatever you can will help....:beer;

Thanks, Jack

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Doing the same thing right now.

No easy way.

RSI has the grip heater extensions. Get an extra one for the thumb heater .

The main harness for the left hand control... well... you are going to need to cut it, splice in longer wires (solder and heat shrink tube, prefer adhesive lined to seal the wires).

Another approach would be to use high quality multi conductor Deutsch connectors and use them as a splice pigtail.

http://www.deutschconnector.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=4347524.25230&xm=on&product=DTM_12-Way|DTM_Sealing_Plug|Mounting_Accessories

These guys can even make the intermediate harness between the cuts ready assembled.

You need to be good with a solder iron and wiring

Good luck.

Last edited:
E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
you are going to need to cut it, splice in longer wires (solder and heat shrink tube, prefer adhesive lined to seal the wires).

Yep. Do it such that the splices aren't near pivot or water ingress points.

Last edited:
J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Thanks mountainhorse and mule.......would it be smart to delete the connectors all together??? to get the bulk of them out of the way.....I believe its 16 gauge wire???. My thoughts where to cut the connectors off and splice in about 10 inches of wire for each wire..using solder a shrink wrap. I have down this before...just not to a polaris. Is there a real reason to have these connectors? Heres a good idea...is someone could build a kit for wiring extension....something like a plug a play, that would sell for sure...

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I wouldn't; keep the connectors in there.

Have you ever tried to work on equipment with everything hard-wired? It SUCKS. Far easier to pop a connector apart and remove the whole assembly than cut the wires and splice them back together on reassembly.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Great timing on this post. I am also doing the handle bar thing this very week with fabcraft bars on a polaris gen II chasis and also found the wires to be too short. Gravity Works throttle cable is doing the trick but the wires are the porblem. Before i cut and paste, I called Polaris and checked to see if they make a wire extention kit but no such luck. No such animal either at Hi Performance, WPS or Dennis Kirk. Dealer recommended splice in several inches with "marine grade" connectors which I've never heard of before. I like the idea of the heat shrink thing.

Looks like I'm riding the ZX this weekend.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I wouldn't;(cut the connectors out) keep the connectors in there.

Have you ever tried to work on equipment with everything hard-wired? It SUCKS. Far easier to pop a connector apart and remove the whole assembly than cut the wires and splice them back together on reassembly.
Yep... especially with grip heaters that fail from time to time... You'll need to be able to "plug and play" if you trash a set of bars or a component on the bars goes bad.

I think the largest wire in the factory Polaris steering post harness is 18 gauge... IMO, dont go with Checker/Kragen/Schuks/Oriely/Napa quality wire...

You can get the same color codes in high quality wire from
http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/wire.htm

If you go with the deutch 12pin mini connector... you will have a clean splice at the harness and only have to solder/shrink at the cut off end for the extension.
These connectors are german made, mil spec, waterproof housings... top notch.

The heat shrink tube that you want, ADHESIVE lined, so that moisture cannot get into the wiring can be found at west marine. www.westmarine.com
Part number 104358

OR

www.mcmaster.com
Part # 74965K51

Both sources are fast and reasonable on shipping and take Creidt Card paymet over the phone without setting up an account.
Mcmaster is also a great source for fasteners, adhesives, electrical supplies, and lots of other stuff... much larger than Grainger and no account required.

In this day and age of ECU failures, electrical problems and CFi.... not worth a tow out from the backcountry because you don't want to do it in as high of quality fashion as possible.:face-icon-small-sho:eek::face-icon-small-sho:(:(:(

As for the grip heaters, thumb warmer.... RSI extensions.

Brake switch and kill/saftey switch.... cut/splice/extend the current 2 prong connectors.

When splicing and heat shrink tube'ing the main control wire.. stagger the splices so you dont end up with a big "ball" of splices next to each other.

Let us know how it turns out.

For what it's worth.
The ideal situation is to find a "Donor" wire harness from another CFi sled and remove the harness going to the handlebars leaving as much wire on it as possible by trimming back into the harness a fair bit.... then you will have some room to work and not be splicing in "shorty" connections or extensions.

Last edited:

06 Dragon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
Central Alberta
Where can a person get the extension for the brake line on a 09 d8. Mine pulls fairly tight when turning to the left with a 3" riser block added.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Mountainhorse...thank you very much...I dont know why I didnt think about it but I could leave the connectors in a splice at the same time. All I have to do Is splice on the handlebar side above the connectors and I can get the connectors below the consol to keep them out of the way.

Great idea about the staggering.....I have been down that road before.....

So you think the largest wire is a 18....I swear (maybe I read it wrong last night) there was 16 printed on the side of the wires....

Ok and about this deutch connector....your saying to make a connector so there is just wire extension between the two connectors??? The only connector i have are the two prong ones for warmers, reverse, lights, thumb, mulifunction.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming

Edit for not reading throught he thread...but heres my experiences from my brake line extension: I thought I was in for a long project last night because I read about how some people are having an absolute nightmare with air in the lines etc...

I just bled the brakes like you did to a car and it is better than ever...just used a 3/8" clear tube to go over bleeder screw to evacuate the fluid.

I am sure glad I did this by the way as the fluid looked like a mixture of sawdust and mud....I used the powermadd brake line extension and it has more than enought room for 10+ inches or rise and feels/looks the same quality as the stock one. Time will tell I guess:eek:

Last edited:
J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Where can a person get the extension for the brake line on a 09 d8. Mine pulls fairly tight when turning to the left with a 3" riser block added.

Read above post by me....but I believe yours is the banjo style fitting for the extension...RSI/SLP makes a good one too from what I have read.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
your saying to make a connector so there is just wire extension between the two connectors???

Yes....

there are 13 wires total in the steering post harness.... an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector would work.

You will need 2 male 6 pin, 2 female 6 pin, 2 8 male, 2 8 pin females.

8 pin Deutsch connector
cc86_1.JPG

Ebay vendor that takes paypal... lots of cool stuff in his ebay "store"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK-DEUTSCH-8-PIN-DT-CONNECTOR-KIT-18-16-HARLEY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem250378012777QQitemZ250378012777QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

You can solder on the wires to the pins instead of buying the expensive crimp tool.

These connectors are the Rolls Royce of connectors.

Last edited:
J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Yes....

there are 13 wires total in the steering post harness.... an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector would work.

You will need 2 male 6 pin, 2 female 6 pin, 2 8 male, 2 8 pin females.

You can solder on the wires to the pins instead of buying the expensive crimp tool.

These connectors are the Rolls Royce of connectors.

Ok...sounds like a plan....I kind of have to piece this together in my head to make it all make sense for me:rolleyes: sorry if the questions keep rolling....and thanks for answering.

Just to verify...the wires are 18 gauge or 16 gauge???

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i did the unthinkable to my old edge, i cut every wire so the insulated connectors would end up under the mx handle bar pad, then i added enough wire so the other insulated connectors were under the hood, and they all still had the stock plugs so i could disconnect them at any time.

My 08 rmk has the stock cables long enough so the plugs are under the hood. im running a 6 inch rise no extensions at all.

if i had to do it again and properly i would look online if i can match the stock plugs and solder and heat shrink the wires and make wire extensions, then if they turned out well make about 20 of them and sell them on here and ebay.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I think my plan it to leave all stock connectors in place and spice in several inches of extention into the wires that come up from under the hood.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Just to verify...the wires are 18 gauge or 16 gauge???

I cant say with certainty... and I cant tell by looking... some insulation jacketing is thicker than others etc...

Go with 16 and you will be safe.

If you keep track of the pins... you can even get away with all the same color wire... buy a spool of the Ancor brand 16 gauge from West marine if you do. It is BY far the best quality wire out there, hands down... super fine strand, low oxygen content TINNED copper with a superior insulation jacket that does not get really stiff in the cold and stays flexible.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Ok....so, we have 8 total connectors...

We will use the 2 female 6 pin to connect on the stock wiring on the throttle side....then the extension we will use the marine anchor wire with the two male connections to make the bridge.

Then on the brake side we will use the 8 pin connectors and have the females in the stock wiring and use the males as the extensions with the anchor wire in the middle....

This way everything is in a nice tight group, with the best of the best connectors/wires. It makes sense...I just want to be positive before I start ordering and hacking this thing up....

Is this correct?

I wish I could draw a picture in paint, but I am at work and they dont got anything!:confused::mad:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
UPDATE.... as I work...

on the 2005 and 2006 900's...there are only 12 wires used.. the small black/red can be snipped... unused to the kill switch sub harness in the handlebars... It is the unused soft-stop (software based kill signal).

SO.... you could get by with just the 12 conductor connnectors... 2 male, 2 female for the splice.

Premium Features