• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help rising my bars

S
Jul 8, 2015
I got a 2009 Switchback 600 136". I am trying to rise my handle bars. My problem is that all the electrical wires from the bars are super short and really tight at stock height. I called my local power-sport shop and he said that when he runs into this, he can usually find a way to re-route the wires so he can get some extra length out of them. If that doesn't work he said I would need to buy some wire extensions.

My questions are
1. how do I take out the air box (my sled is efi) so I can reach the wires and see what I am dealing with? I looked around for bolts to take it out but I cant seem to find any and there is a strap at the top of it and when i take that off, it doesn't change anything.

2. If I do need to get extensions, where is a good place to find them, online would be best for me, but would my Polaris dealership have any?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
No one makes an extension wire harness... you will have to splice.

Rather than doing a cut/solder or cut/butt-splice... I like to use sealed connectors from places like cycleterminal.com... You can put all the wires in one connector per splice.

You will need two pair of M/F connectors.

S
Jul 8, 2015
It looks like in order to take my airbox out I need to remove the oil and antifreeze bottles to get to some hose claps off of the intake port. Is this correct?

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
Usually isn't that hard on polaris. No exact experience with your exact sled but my 97 Indy, 03 Edge, 12 IQ and 14 RMK it was as simple as either, clips, rubber snubber , wiggle pull and watch for wires needing to have attachments disconnected. Usually not clamped to carbs, just inserted into grommets in airbox

S
Jul 8, 2015
Usually isn't that hard on polaris. No exact experience with your exact sled but my 97 Indy, 03 Edge, 12 IQ and 14 RMK it was as simple as either, clips, rubber snubber , wiggle pull and watch for wires needing to have attachments disconnected. Usually not clamped to carbs, just inserted into grommets in airbox

Thanks, maybe i am not pulling hard enough when I take off the rubber strap. I will try that.

S
Jul 8, 2015
I couldn't get the air box off when I did that, how hard did you pull? I am afraid of breaking the plastic as it was bending a lot. But I am pretty sure I have to take the hose clamps off of the intake. Has anybody else had more experience with my model of sled?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Yes, the hose clamps will need to be loosened on the intakes.

You likely also have fuel lines that are connected or embedded into channels in the air box.

Once those are freed up the box should be loose at least. There is a large channel in the bottom of the box where it sits over the jack shaft. Keep that in mind as you rock the box forward and lift up. Once the front portion of the box clears the jack shaft it should be free to the rear then lift it up and out.

I'm assuming you have your tank slid back? You shouldn't have to unhook the fuel lines and all, but loosen it and slide it back a couple inches to make room.

S
Jul 8, 2015
I figured it out, you don't have to remove the air box at all, there is a very easy way around that. So there is what I would call a plastic shroud that goes around the handle bars, down to the gas tank lid, then down to your feet. There are 4 exterior screws (a T27 bit) and 2 interior screws to remove this along with removing the nut that holds it to the key and the gas tank lid. After I removed this, I realized that the wires are zip tied in a couple of different places on the frame near the handle bars, after I cut those, I had about 5 extra inch's of cable length. All I have to do is put the shroud back on the sled, then Install by riser.

Premium Features