• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What’s Next?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Could be but after talking to several people with the same kit it needing “a splash” sound fairly common......
I'm not sure a splash should be needed at 10,000 feet though.

Check motor mounts and fuel delivery.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I'm not sure a splash should be needed at 10,000 feet though.

Check motor mounts and fuel delivery.
I agree that it should not be needed, boondocker customer support has been sketchy for my buddy at best.......this is on a new sled so I would think the motor mounts would be OK. They recommend the first 2 tanks of fuel be mixed with 2 gal of race gas, after that 91 is supposed to be fine.....I dont understand that either?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I agree that it should not be needed, boondocker customer support has been sketchy for my buddy at best.......this is on a new sled so I would think the motor mounts would be OK. They recommend the first 2 tanks of fuel be mixed with 2 gal of race gas, after that 91 is supposed to be fine.....I dont understand that either?
I don't have an Agility, so I'm not sure about the 2 gallon recommendation.
I don't recall the Sidekicks having that recommendation.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Could be but after talking to several people with the same kit it needing “a splash” sound fairly common......
we got 6 kits in our buddy group this year.

once the guys started getting a good reliable 91 octane non-eth source DET wasnt an issue. when they were trying maverick gas they needed to put a gallon of race in each tank to keep det away. two of us only got the good stuff from the non-ethanol station and never had DET.

with that said i am as die hard polaris fan as you'll find and there is something to be said for the new doos being able to run on ANY pump gas and run well (but the polaris still pulls a couple sled lengths on the doos PG to PG)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
we got 6 kits in our buddy group this year.

once the guys started getting a good reliable 91 octane non-eth source DET wasnt an issue. when they were trying maverick gas they needed to put a gallon of race in each tank to keep det away. two of us only got the good stuff from the non-ethanol station and never had DET.

with that said i am as die hard polaris fan as you'll find and there is something to be said for the new doos being able to run on ANY pump gas and run well (but the polaris still pulls a couple sled lengths on the doos PG to PG)
What elevations do those 6 kits run at?

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
With the head he is running 6000' and 91 is supposed to be fine. We all filled from the same pump (busy), my factory turbo and 3 other stockers never missed a lick, his would go into DET/limp when on the throttle, at 10000'. Add race gas and its all good..... I would be very surprised if polaris offers a "high boost " package unless they came up with a new way to skin a cat. Both boondocker and silber call for alot of octane at moderate elevation.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Run 20% race gas ( Sunoco 110) with my Boondocker Sidekick and have never had an issue. Engines are expensive and if running a little race gas is what it takes to make the engine live so be it. Hard to go back to N/A once you start riding turbos.

Just my $.02

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Sheesh, if the thing holding Polaris back from offering me a factory turbo polaris with warranty is some guy's unwillingness to dump some race gas in it, then call me a sad sad camper. For such an amazing sled, I would have no problem putting in a gallon or two or three of race gas for every tank.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Sheesh, if the thing holding Polaris back from offering me a factory turbo polaris with warranty is some guy's unwillingness to dump some race gas in it, then call me a sad sad camper. For such an amazing sled, I would have no problem putting in a gallon or two or three of race gas for every tank.
Race gas is a PITA, especially when traveling. And you and I both know good and damn well there would be a line out the door at every dealer of guys wanting a new motor after running straight pump.

We will NEVER see a factory sled that requires anything but pump gas.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
^ Agree with you about pump gas. It'd be easy to build a sled with a high-boost option requiring a race gas mix, but making it smart enough to fully protect the motor from guys trying to crank it up on pump gas just isn't worth the trouble. Even if a dealer could tell someone was cranking it on pump gas, you'd end up with all kinds of headaches dealing with owners. The best you could hope for is a wink and a nod from Polaris for guys willing to run mixed gas with a tune, and say bye-bye to any warranty claim the dealer decides was related to that.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
^ Agree with you about pump gas. It'd be easy to build a sled with a high-boost option requiring a race gas mix, but making it smart enough to fully protect the motor from guys trying to crank it up on pump gas just isn't worth the trouble. Even if a dealer could tell someone was cranking it on pump gas, you'd end up with all kinds of headaches dealing with owners. The best you could hope for is a wink and a nod from Polaris for guys willing to run mixed gas with a tune, and say bye-bye to any warranty claim the dealer decides was related to that.
It would be good for the snowmobile industry and for our ability to purchase higher performing sleds from the factory if the dealers and manufacturers would not allow their warranty's to be abused. Can you imagine a dirt bike engine being replaced under warranty after an improper air cleaner service or install?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Doo did it right for a warrantied sled and assume polaris will have to do something similar. It will not be a high boost turbo. Pay someone to crank it up and void your warranty. They have had virtually no problems. If you want more, aftermarket is there for you.

C
Nov 19, 2009
It would be good for the snowmobile industry and for our ability to purchase higher performing sleds from the factory if the dealers and manufacturers would not allow their warranty's to be abused. Can you imagine a dirt bike engine being replaced under warranty after an improper air cleaner service or install?
Theres warranty on bikes???

T
Nov 11, 2008
Nope,

That’s his point.
High performance = no warranty

Honestly I am impressed with 4 year warranty on sleds. The fact that none of my bikes come with as much as 24 hour warranty lol makes me irritated as a new 300 TPI Husqvarna is near $10,000 for a little frame and two wheels with a little single two stroke yet we can get multiple years on much more machine that proportionally isn’t a heck of a lot more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
normal consumers can't differentiate his left hand form his right hand and you expect a a manufacturer asking users to put race gas to save their engine?

they cannot sell a sled only to guys who knows their stuff it has to be foolproof for your stupid friend who also rides.

people expecting a turbo from poo in 2022 will be really salty coming march 2

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Honestly I am impressed with 4 year warranty on sleds. The fact that none of my bikes come with as much as 24 hour warranty lol makes me irritated as a new 300 TPI Husqvarna is near $10,000 for a little frame and two wheels with a little single two stroke yet we can get multiple years on much more machine that proportionally isn’t a heck of a lot more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just by a street legal EXC500 and you get 1 year warranty. In Canada anyway.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If that's what Polaris does, for their sake, it would need to be something that the user can't crack open and reprogram...and mess up.
Sorta like what Boondocker has done with their programmers.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Geez, you guys make it seem like a turbo is some rocket science wizardry. It's just a fancy air pump. Of course Polaris will release a turbo rmk and it'll increase in boost pressure as the sled increases in elevation so as to maintain constant max hp. Same as Doo did it, same as the boondocker kit. So it'll get the same air to fuel mix at 10k feet as it does a sea level. No fancy fuel needed, no increase in wear and tear. It's not complicated, but maybe challenging for the knucklehead engineers working at Polaris.

Premium Features