• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weak Axys Springtime Tuning

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
After having my Axys get very weak this spring (8,100 to 7,400 RPM max) and getting no help from dealers whatsoever (everything is fine), I came to the conclusion they are only mapped to 30 degrees or so. Temps higher than 30 will make your Axys run like a John Deere Spitfire at +9,000'. The SLP piped sleds (with no additional fuel mapping required) :face-icon-small-con seem to perform satisfactorily, This tells me they are so rich from the factory that you can indeed get 9HP with a properly designed aftermarket pipe with no additional fuel required. I ran through a series of tuning tricks this morning with pretty decent results. The first thing I did was go 2 grams lighter (per 2017 tuning instructions), this took my pig from 7,400 RPM's to 7,500 RPM's. I then replaced the 120/320 spring with a 130/340 spring, net gain 100 RPM's. The sled still performed like garbage so I pulled both the flowrites on the hood and gained another 100 RPM's. The sled was starting to come to life and becoming fun to ride, like it did when it was 20 degrees cooler. I then pulled off both side panels in an effort to drop my belt heat a bit, net gain 100 RPM's. It was finally performing like a solid running 600. I then went to the leaner non-ethanol fuel setting although I had ethanol fuel in the tank, this gave me another 50 RPM's. I could now climb the gnarly springtime chutes with confidence spinning 7850 RPM's. So I guess there isn't anything wrong with the sled, it's simply so fat that you have to jump through all the above hoops to finally get it to run like a weak 800. I've been running Pro's since 2012 and have never had to adjust for an overly rich sled in the springtime for the last five years. I guess the answer to making the Axy's run in the spring is to put on an aftermarket single in an effort to lean them out a bit. I've been a Polaris faithful guy for 32 years but am starting to lose faith, WTH is going on Polaris? You think you could at least send a leaner map out to your dealers so all of us who spent $13,000 wouldn't have to end our season March 1st, I like to ride into June. I hope my primary doesn't take a chunk out of my skull or my exposed muffler doesn't leave a scar on my azz. I really hate riding without side panels, but I really like to ride.

Last edited:

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
7850 is still pretty low RPM, that motor doesn't turn into a ripper until you hit 8200+ RPM. I noticed the last trip I rode it was 40 degrees out and I lost 200 RPM with the SLP pipe, it does seem to get richer when it warms up. Would be interesting to have a A/F gauge to confirm it and see how far off it really is.

Last edited:
Premium Features