• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Walker Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There is not a "Big problem" with the Walker Evans Air shocks on the Dragons.

They are a good, BASIC, emulsion shock that is very light and it works well in most mountain riding conditions. They require maintenance more than most to keep them working well.... beginning of every season. [recharge with nitrogen and oil change/clean]

Curt at www.ftxmotorsports.com or John in the service Dept at Walker Evans Racing can get the job done at the beginning of every season for you guys to keep your sleds working well. Curt can also tweak the shock a bit to your riding style and weight.

The anodizing and soft aluminum of the shaft are easily nicked and, IMO, should have a shock boot like the ones from Skinz Protective Gear (SPG) or others. Minute nicks (even tiny ones) cause the seals to get damaged and they leak pressure and wont perform... some people have had very poor luck with this... AND I know of many that have not had an issue.

http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobileproduct/shockcovers.html
300_Polaris_Walker_Evans_Shock_Covers-SHK200-BK-Airprene.JPG

Polaris has updated the valving on these shocks since they were first released and the 2009 seems to perform better than the 2007. FTX or WE Racing can update this for you.

All this being said, for jumpers, or hard "trail bangers" getting to the mountain, these shocks will not work as well as a good pair of Zero pros, Walker Evans coil overs, Floats or Z-broz shocks... But then again... those are aftermarket upgrades that shold be noticeable in performance gains.

For most out there riding mountain sleds in "normal" sledding temps... these shocks will perform at a VERY acceptable level.

Last edited:
B
Dec 21, 2007
WE

I hated the Walker Shocks as most of my buddies do. I pumped them up as high as possible and still way to soft and tippy. They constantly want to buck you off. Fox Seros and probme solved. You need springs I hate Air Shocks.

The stock Ryde FX are better all around than the Walkers unless you love soft tippy sleds.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
beeler... sincere question... how much do you weigh with gear on?

What year sled were your WE air's from?

Are you running the sway bar with the zeros? When you had the Walkers?

The Fox Zero Pro's are definately an upgrade.

Normal sledding temps.... above zero F to 65 F .... Colder than zero... you will prob need lower viscosity oil in the shocks

IMO

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
My brother and I recently bought '09 Dragons. I'm 275 with riding gear on and he's 300 with riding gear. The poor WE stockers don't have a chance with us. :)

He bought ZeroPros last week and put them on, it was SHOCKING the difference in ride, tip in, bottoming, etc. The stockers are valved and aired for like 200lb rider max so not surprising they suck for a fat guy like me.

I hear charging them more helps, but switching them out for ZeroPros or the full on WE Airs like the Assault has makes the most difference.

sled_guy

B
Dec 21, 2007
Walkers

Call me Tommy Boy Fat guy on a little sled. I have a 600 RMk with the 660 kit. But the shocks were off a 08 Dragon. I sold the Walkers for 275.00 and found some Zeros for 300.00 on this site.

Best 25.00 I ever spent. I hate the tippy squirrly feeling on the trail.
Maby for a little guy but those shocks suck I cant believe Polaris even uses them.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
I traded out my ryde FX shocks for these, Curt at Fastrax knows these shocks and has them dialed in perfect for me. I have not had a single issue with them, and I rode them anywhere from -20 to around 40, trail raced them, jumped hard, deep snow, eveyrthing, and no problems on them.

I think a lot of people who complain about these shocks do not have them setup properly for their weight, as they are setup for a general size and general purpose, just like all sleds are from the factory. As a basic shock they perform very well, and as MH said for a stock shock they will get the job done, aftermarket will of course be better, but you need to set these right and give them a try before you bash them.... .02

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I put the WE's on my '06 900 and absolutely love them. Huge improvement over the stock Ryde FX. I had mine charged to 225 psi and they are very respectable on the trail as well as allowing the sled to roll over easier in the powder.

B

beefspots

Mar 10, 2008
Dayton, Wyo.
WE

Ok I ended up replacing old blue with a 2009 Dragon and was wondering about MH's comment on the soft shafts of the WE could a guy put them upside down to prevent getting nicked or will this effect the performance? Also what do the fabcraft chambers do?

T
Feb 28, 2008
BEEF-dont waste your time with the WE shocks!!! I hade mine revalved, new updated pistons put in them, diffrent levels of oil and air pressures, and no matter who set them up or how the were set up bottom line is "THEY SUCK"!!! I am probably on the minority on this thinking but this is how i see it. Take them off and sell them while they are still new!!!!

M
Sep 4, 2007
Minnesota
They probably work okay if you spend more money on them. I just don't understand why Polaris continues to use a shock that requires so much maintenance. I think a stock sled should come with a basic shock/spring that you can set up for your weight yourself and then you just ride it for years without touching it. If you want special shocks, you can get them and get what you want.

K

ktm rmk

Jan 22, 2008
castle rock co.
I to want to make a change to my 09 Dragon shocks also. I have experienced not only problems with the fronts, but also the rear shock. My question, is everyone saying the rear ALSO ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features