• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VES 800 Big Bearing Kits / Do they Work

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
I have seen 800 VES motors go 5000 miles no issues I have seen them go 500 and lose the crank. What's up ?
I heard the Cases caused it, I heard certain RMP range causes it to eat the case, which makes the crank fail.

I have and 02 / 800 VES and an 02 / 700 VES. The 7's don't seem to suffer.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Not sure if it works, but I am having the big bearing kit installed now.. Heard only good things about it, but also heard not a guaranteed fix.. Only prolongs the time the engine will last.. Not sure why this happens.. I have also heard that line boring the cases helps also.. I ran out of money so only have enough money to get the big bearing with crank and cases machined to match the new bearing.:mad:

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
search for some of Indy Dan's posts about the issue. tons of info there.

Long story short, the crank, bearings, case (this one is really important) and use/maintenance have everything to do with the problem.

If you want the best from your 800 bottom end just get a hold of Indy Dan on here and have him do his full meal deal on your crank and cases and then listen to his instructions on how to keep it in one piece for the long haul.

The 700's don't have as much problem because the crank is a more solid unit due to a shorter stroke. Polaris made a big mistake IMHO by taking the 700 crank and just making it a longer stroke to make the 800 crank. Should have been a total redesign instead and done right to begin with.

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Big bearings fail just like the rest even if you line bore the case. I have seen plenty.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Big Bearings

Big bearings fail just like the rest even if you line bore the case. I have seen plenty.

Yup. Dan's work is probably the best there is. But the 800 crank has inherent problems that can't be fixed. Dan has figured out some fixes and he is willing to warranty it which is WAY better than Polaris.

Lots of things help (big bearing, good cases, clutch balance, etc) but if you do just one... say the big bearing and you have junk cases it will throw the crank in short order.

I'm like Hardass... I've seen plenty of big bearing cranks break.

sled_guy

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I have also seen big bearing kits break between the bearings. I have run Polaris 800's since 2001 with excellent reliability, all they need is a case that's in tolerance. I've found that your typical case and crank that was built properly in the first place will give you 3,000 mountain miles and 4,000 trail miles before needing any attention. Every 3,000 miles I have my cases line bored and drop in a fresh factory crank and don't worry about a thing for another 3,000 miles. I've seen alot of other sleds go down long before the 3,000 mile mark. Alot of backyard mechanics will drop a fresh crank in worn cases and have it break in another 150 miles giving the motor a bad rap, others will use a bridging sealant when assemblying a fresh case and crank resulting in a barely in tolerance rebuilt motor that will go only half the distance of one assembled properly, again giving it a bad reputation. It's a bulletproof motor when assembled correctly.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
There is a poo dealer in spokane that was pumping the wide bearing down everybodies throat. Belt problems? WIDE BEARING. Fouled plug? WIDE BEARING. Torn seat? WIDE BEARING!!!!!

They suckered a lot of people on that one.

I know a guy that got the wide bearing and it failed 5 times in a span of about 15 rides......NOT HAPPY!!!

L
Mar 7, 2008
Is there a difference between a ves case and a non ves case?

I've been around 4 2001 800 motors, one has the big bearing no failures at all, all expect one has been ridden hard!

Yes i'm in Ontario but I feel we ride the crap out of them for around here.

Also have an iqr with a 2005 ves 800 with a psi 910 kit ( i know about psi blah blah blah ) but i've had no problems with this motor....love it actually!

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
The early cases were made from the 700 case . It had machine work done where the rod rotates around and some other work

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Early cases aren't as open through the reed cage area either. But a little grinding fixes that.

Otherwise the specs were the same. And actually in 2000 and some 2001 cases the holes are drilled down from the cylinders into the pto bearing area, then they stopped drilling them.

sled_guy

R
Dec 1, 2007
Marysville, WA
The big bearing certainly wont hurt your motor and PROBABLY will increase crank life but after talking to LOTS of people including Indy Dan the overall response I have gotten is to secure the motor and eliminate case flex. The best thing you can do with your money is buy a motor plate and a couple extra tourque stops. This will keep the motor from flexing on throttle and let the crank run true ALOT longer. I also bit into the big bearing kit and lost that crank in 500 miles. It was done by a very reputable shop here locally that puts out ALOT of good stuff. He also told me to do the plate and tourque stops but I let my checkbook answer instead of my brain. LESSON LEARNED!!!! I'm a 100% believer in the plate and stops to make these motors live long lives. Just my 2 cents worth. GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide.

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
Not sure if it works, but I am having the big bearing kit installed now.. Heard only good things about it, but also heard not a guaranteed fix.. Only prolongs the time the engine will last.. Not sure why this happens.. I have also heard that line boring the cases helps also.. I ran out of money so only have enough money to get the big bearing with crank and cases machined to match the new bearing.:mad:

If your getting an SLP big bearing kit you might as well throw your wallet in the nearest lake. My stock crank went 4000 95 percent off trail miles. I had SLP install a new crank with their bearing and it broke after only 700 miles. No warrenty no nothing. Sent it to Indydan and even though it's now my back up sled I sure like the warranty which I have never heard anyone having to use on an Indydan bottom end.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
"The big bearing certainly wont hurt your motor and PROBABLY will increase crank life but after talking to LOTS of people including Indy Dan the overall response I have gotten is to secure the motor and eliminate case flex."

That's funny because Indydan doesn't require a motor plate or torque stops to get his warranty. And trikerider my Indydan bottom end went back twice this season for warranty work. He's definitely not a end all for BB 800 bottom ends. I tend to lean toward AdrenalineAddict's theory of a line bored case and a new crank every 3k. I think unless you're sure the case is near perfect the big PTO bearing is a waste of money.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Why should you have to re bore after the first time if no failures. A new crank every 3000 miles. Crank is $1000.00 gaskets and seals are over $50.00. seems like a bunch of money per mile even if you resold your old crank. Try the engine plate and stops after having Indy Dan do his majic IMO

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
"Why should you have to re bore after the first time if no failures."

On one motor I had a obvious reason. I split the cases after losing a piston and the double wide PTO bearing just fell off. I assumed that meant that the case fit was bad and that made the PTO end bounce around and lose it's dimensions. Sometimes you can just tell by the wear marks if all the bearings are being supported 360 degrees. Bottom line is if you put a new crank in a poor case it's not going to last. Back to the original question "VES 800 Big Bearing Kits / Do they Work ?" I'd say save your money till it breaks and then do it right. If the motor has over 3K miles tear it down this summer. It's a very tough bill to swallow but it may keep you off the hook. :(

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Heres the deal on boring. I bought a brand new case Torqued it all together with cylinders and started measuring Guess what same size as the od of the bearing?? i called polaris and was told thats how it is if they sent me another one it may be worse. Just because your getting a new part does not mean it's a good part so be ware. And think about most people do not do there own stuff so you would never know. i wonder how many failures there were just because of improperly made parts?

Premium Features