• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Under hood grease clean up

B
I just bought a used sled which had been run with a leaky oil reservoir, as a result the the back of the engine and carbs, fuel lines and wiring harness are all covered with goo, and any junk that came in through the hood vents stuck to it. It's an ugly mess.
Does anyone know the best way or a good product to wash this off without causing any damage to the carbs and/ or electrical?
Any help would be appreciated.

S
Jan 15, 2008
PNW
i would just use some rags and carb cleaner and head to town on it. if you clean it after every ride it will be much easier to clean than doing it once a year or something.

is it the cap that is leaking? one of the lines?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Any detergent will do.

If you are in a hurry ... brake cleaner does a mighty quick job.

If you are real nervous about it you can use electrical cleaner ... when it dries it will not be conductive.

B
The tank was leaking from the seam that joins the top and bottom halves of the tank.
Thanks for the info guys, the electrical or electric motor cleaner sounds like it might be the safest, but if it is too expensive the Castrol Super Clean will have to do.
Any product names a guy should look for? Where could I find some of that stuff?

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Pressure wash? Really?

Are you guys saying to pressure wash the engine? Is that a good idea? Seems like you wouldn't want to get water in some critical areas in there......? For those who have done it, did you have any issues arrise because of the pressure washing?

S
Jan 15, 2008
PNW
Are you guys saying to pressure wash the engine? Is that a good idea? Seems like you wouldn't want to get water in some critical areas in there......? For those who have done it, did you have any issues arrise because of the pressure washing?

i know i wouldn't be caught dead pressure washing a motor. there are just too many possibilities i think. i guess i am just simple and like to stick with carb cleaner and rags.if there is a lot of grime and belt dust on the sheaves i will pull those and use scotch brite pads but that is it.

T
Dec 4, 2007
brake cleaners and the such are hard on plastics and more so on rubbers. it will cause discoloration, and dry out the material, making it brittle over time. simple green is an awsome cleaner and safe for materials, and your dog as he laps up the puddles. prior to washing, apply die electric grease to all electrical connecters. this also prevents melting snow mist while in the deep from shorting out compontents. apply degreaser, allow to soak, and then rinse clean with an open hose (no nozzle). anything more and it will push thru connectors, and seals easly. our $15+ million dollar aircraft are washed in the same manner.

T
Dec 4, 2007
oh, i forgot the most important part. plug the throttle body/carb and exhaust to minimize water ingestion. run the engine afterwards to operating temperature, to dry off the engine inside and out, and exhaust which can rust easily.

Premium Features