• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail Tank Install on 09 xp

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Its a breeze....what else can I say !! Bolts into all stock holes. I removed the stock pick up from my stock tank and installed it no problem. I opted not to reuse the stock sending unit so I asked Seth @ Trail Tank not to drill that hole.

The workmanship is excellent. Nice cork gasket and aluminum cover for the access hole to install internal parts. This is backed by an aluminum plate mounted inside the tank with countersunk holes....no screws are secured by plastic only....definately a bonus.

The hole where the pick up nipple protrudes is nice and tight. I put fuel in my tank and leak tested this for an hour or two with nary a drop of fuel.

Tank is definately lighter than stock. I never weighed them to compare but their site says 3 lbs and I am sure it is at least that !!!

Fit on the sled is perfect. Clears the exchanger and all plastics fit snuggly. Fuel caddy fits as per usual. Seat is 1" higher than stock as this tank holds 12.5 us gal. A nice plus for sure, both for the seat height and xtra fuel capacity.

The only minus so far is that the two ears on the top of the tank for screwing the dash down are not there. I dont know if this is an error or just not needed. Time will tell.

Overall, very happy with the product and it sure is nice to see the fuel in the tank.

Note: I asked several dealers if illiminating the fuel sending unit would throw a code or ignite the low fuel icon on the dash. They all said no and they are all wrong. With the stock sending unit gone, the fuel icon is lit on the dash. This is an easy fix with a resistor between 5 and 90 ohms looped into a plug and reconnected to the stock plug. Your gauge will always show one fuel amount(depending on the resistor you use) but the fuel icon will disappear.

Here are some pics. I have many more if there is anything in particular you want to see.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 5.jpg photo 3.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features