• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track questions for my 04 800

D
Dec 1, 2007
Colorado
I have a 2004 800 edge with a 159"x 2" track, I would like to get more performance and get higher up the mountain by doing something different with the track alone. I have alot of the slp mods done to the engine. Any suggestions? I was thinking of either going with another 159" but with a 2.25" lug or extending it to a 166"x2.25". Of course trying to keep the 2.52" pitch. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
camo ex. all the way it rocks you can get a 16'' under there but its tight my sugestion is a 15'' 162 2.5 with 7 tooth avid extro drivers (3'' pitch) i have that track on my 04 but in a 16 wide and it is the biggest single improvment i've made

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Definitely go with a camo extreme! You'd be wasting your time by just going with a 2.25 159. 162 x 16x2.5 you will have to change drivers and probably a big wheel kit to take up the 1.5/3 inches which is the difference between the 159/162.

Do some searches here and you'll see that the camo extremes dominate over the series IV tracks that you're referring to.

D
Dec 1, 2007
Colorado
Thanks for the info guys, just had a few more questions. So I can fit a 16" wide track for sure, without doing any modifications to fit my sled? Won't I run into clearance issues trying to get the 2.5" lug? My buddy has a sled just like mine with the 162x2.5 and was told from the guy he bought it from, he had to roll the chaincase to make it work? I did hear from a few people that all you need is a big wheel kit to make up the difference from 159-162 to make it fit, so that WILL make a 162 work?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
yes you can fit the 16'' wide its a good idea to clean up the tunnel (grind down any long rivets ) and you need to get 7tooth avid extros (3'' pitch) and it will clear its tight but people have done it and been fine a D/R is better but you still need the 7t drivers as for the big wheel kit it will work just explain to who you buy them from what your doing also with the extrovert drivers you will need to trim you rail tips or they will hit a anti stab kit is also good insurance

on mine i moved the skid back and it worked great if you look there are steel factory plates on the inside of the tunnel front and back you can use them as a tempate makes it real easy and clean (drill from the inside out) i also did the D/R but its a pain and not manditory my advise would be to go with the 15'' because it will drag less and just simpler (rode with a guy who had the 15 wide and i could'nt see a huge diference?) good luck it sounds like alot of stuff but its not to bad and well worth it

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I would roll the chaincase too if I ran the 2.5" Camo Challenger Extreme. Rolled chaincase, drivers, track, etc. start to get pretty expensive compared to going to a longer lug Polaris track. The Challenger 2.5" is heavy too so you should be making more than stock horsepower if you are going to run it.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I forgot to add that I ran the 162" by 2.5" Challenger Extreme on a 2004 Polaris Edge with a Struthers 935 (stroked 910) motor with twin pipes. The chain case was rolled and it had a Holz skid. It worked really well but that motor made gobs of horsepower. I am putting a 163" by 2.5" Challenger Extreme on my 2009 D8 with a pump gas turbo. Plenty of power to pull that track but it is heavier by 9 lbs. or so than the single ply Polaris 163" by 2.4" track that it came with. I would say that you need more than the SLP mods alone to really justify running that track on a 2004 Edge.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i agree and don't:rolleyes: yes more hp is gonna be nice but the track is such an upgrade that it really makes a big difference my edge is mildly moded and it turns it great i've been amazed by stock sleds clutched right so with a good clutch set up it will spin that track no problem

as for the D/R as above it is better clearance but not manditory plus to pay to have it done would be expencive or to do it your self ?for the average joe ?it takes some skill and tools

i rode with a bone stock (oil still in the gas) dragon 800 the only mod was the camo EX track it would climb with mine and my buddies moded sleds (rmk/revs) i think that track i just good maybe not in the super fluff but we don't get many days of that anyway the dragon would kill a regular tracked dragon i thought if i had one thats the first thing i'd change

buy the way i'll bet that 935 was an animal the 910 hit hard as is :D

Premium Features