• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track performance?

G
Apr 29, 2010
A friend of mine has a real nice 05 King Cat as a backup sled that my son has been riding this season. It has a lot of stuff on it, Speedwerks head, SLP intake, Fox Floats all around, Holtz drop brackets, Boss seat, Simmons skis, two wheel kit, adjustable riser, lefty throttle and more. Power and handling is top notch. The main problem seems to be the A 20 track. As soon as you get the thing on edge it digs a hole and gets stuck. Is this typical for this track? The rest of the group ride other brands of sleds, some with shorter tracks. We rarely get stuck the same way. It's not rider error, my son is a great rider. He doesn't get stuck on the other sleds. Any opinions?

P

pano-dude

Nov 28, 2007
invermere
i liked the a 20, in pow it worked well. using a camo x 2.25 it works good to.
can't say if one was better on edge than the other though.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
I have not heard anything about people getting hurt from the attach 20....unless they follow to close and get hit with chunks of snow. Is the track flipped around into the climb position? The only time I typically get stuck on edge is when my boards or tunnel are dragging in the snow which then lifts the track just enough to start trenching. If i had the time and ambition i would kick up the last 12 inchces of the tunnel like the M series does. This keeps the tail out of the snow when its on its side. Good luck

G
Apr 29, 2010
Thanks for the advice everyone. The track is in the standard position, but he has another King with the track reversed. The guy who normally rides this one is a new rider so he's not real agressive. The local Cat dealer keeps telling us the A20 is garbage - we just thought he was trying to sell a new sled. I think he's right - I'm getting tired of digging that sled out!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
IF you've got the $$ to spare... a new track is the way to go. If you're really tight budget wise, consider straightening the lugs. IMO, if you take the time (it's a pain) to straighten them, and then flip the track, they do pretty darn well.

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
IF you've got the $$ to spare... a new track is the way to go. If you're really tight budget wise, consider straightening the lugs. IMO, if you take the time (it's a pain) to straighten them, and then flip the track, they do pretty darn well.

I have this setup on my 900 which is pretty close to the one you're describing. It works pretty well. There's better setups out there (there always are no matter what you have), but this one does good and it's cheap to do. A vise grip with a few pieces of flat iron welded to them, a torch, and a couple of hours and you'll be set.

G
Apr 29, 2010
Well after all this, my friend ended up selling the sled to another one of our riding buddies. He is in the process of lookig for another track. Thanks again for the feedback!

Premium Features