• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking of trying out a Cat, have a few Q's.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
I'm getting rid of my 07 Poo for next season and I was checking out the specs on the new M8, it looks very nice.

I love the way the IQ chassis handles and I hear the Cat handles the same.

My biggest complaint about the Poo I have is it has the stupid adjustable handlebars (they slide front to back) and that crap has become so loose and weak it wiggles around like crazy. I see the Cat has telescoping handle bars and I am afraid the same thing will happen, they will become loose, weak and wobbly.

I ride pretty damn hard and if something is weak I will probably break it, what do you guys thing about the telescoping bars? I think I would rather just have stationary bars with a nice big riser since I am tall, also can you put risers on it, because I have about 6" of rise on my Poo.

What do you guys think of the "Power Claw" track, does it do well in most snow conditions, fluff, sugar, heavy spring snow, etc.?

Thanks,

-Cameron

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I'm getting rid of my 07 Poo for next season and I was checking out the specs on the new M8, it looks very nice.

My biggest complaint about the Poo I have is it has the stupid adjustable handlebars (they slide front to back) and that crap has become so loose and weak it wiggles around like crazy. I see the Cat has telescoping handle bars and I am afraid the same thing will happen, they will become loose, weak and wobbly.

I ride pretty damn hard and if something is weak I will probably break it, what do you guys thing about the telescoping bars? I think I would rather just have stationary bars with a nice big riser since I am tall, also can you put risers on it, because I have about 6" of rise on my Poo.

What do you guys think of the "Power Claw" track, does it do well in most snow conditions, fluff, sugar, heavy spring snow, etc.?

Thanks,

-Cameron

I ride a dragon..but have ridden with a 09 m-8...they are real close..in sugar snow(eureka) the power claw hooks better but everywhere else it is even or maybe a little bit better dragon(p-ville)although spring snow I would think the p-claw would be better....I think the dragon handles slightly better in deep then the m..but easily adapted to....as for the post the one was tight but only had a few hundred miles on it....

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
I think the dragon is much better on the rough trails. i think the m8 is as good as or better in every other aspect. M8 slow deep powder boondocking

S
Dec 27, 2007
prince george, bc, canada
i went from an m7 to an 09m1000 mod wich is for sale because i recently put a turbo on my m7, but as far as the tele steering i doubted it at first also, that is untill i hit a power pole guide wire doing about 80 launching me and my sled roughly 20feet high and 10feet away from the spot i took off, luckily some willow bushes broke my fall but the sled landed upside down right on the bars, i cracked my hood up pretty bad and kinked my tunnel, bars look brand new and didnt even compress, i had them fully extended, i was amazed by them.

Last edited:
T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID

Thanks,

-Cameron

As far as the bars go i wouldn't worry to much. My riding buddies and i are pretty hard on stuff too and so far they are still good and tight. Yes you can put a riser on them i'm not sure how much though, i think the most i've seen personally was 2.5 inches. I love the powderclaw, IMO it is the best all around track out there.

S

superfast

Nov 26, 2007
Billings Montana
Make the jump without any worries the m8 handles better than the dragon I have ridden them both the dragon handles well but the m8 handles better the 09 m8 only weighs a scant 537 ready to ride the 2010 is suppose to be lighter and has 20 more horse the powder claw is very impressive probably the best track made :D:D

S
Mar 11, 2009
I'm in the same boat right now, i'm trying an m8 out next weekend, i sold my rev before i had to put an engine in it, among other things, i'm a little wary about trying the 2010, sounds like they shaved 4lbs off of the crank so i;m thinkin 09 here i come.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I like the M8 better than the dragon in every area except for trail riding. The M8 with the slp pipe has more power and has more mod potential. The M8 is also 15-20 LBS lighter than the dragon. Get the new 2010 with 160hp stock and it is going to scream in my opinion. You will love a new M8, I really like my 09 M8 and the 2010 are even more refined. I put the slp pipe on mine and my buddy who bought a new 09 800 dragon rode it and even admitted that mine pulled a lot harder.

Premium Features