• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking of jumping ship

M
way to much mods

ha ha - you know i have already buddy and it doesn't help...

here's the threads boys = read 'em all and you'll see the efforts i've gone through to fix the belt problem. Cat knows about it too and is "working" on it. In the mean time i've bought nine belts this year... ****ers. :mad:

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143397

AND

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131080&highlight=belt+blower

i don't want to add it up, but I guarentee no one has spent the time and money i have looking for a fix for this problem. I still haven't fixed it yet either.

If only i could get a fix to this issue - as my sled runs HARD and i LOVE it besides the belt issue. i got this thing dialed - but not a ride goes buy without pulling threads...

u spend to much and if u left it more stock u would have less $$$ in belts< suc** to be u :rolleyes:

B
Jan 15, 2008
Covington, WA
Yes!

GEAR DOWN !!!!!! The problem you have is an OLD problem... Some say clutch clutch clutch. These sleds are set up gear wise to protect the D/D. Cat refuses to gear these monsters down due to THEIR COPY of the drive case. With a little care and some ingenuity gearing down is THE MOST effective way to increase belt life. I would like to put one these 1000's on a stand with the recommended lower gears and see what kind of track speed it would pull. 70 to 80 mph is ALL you want with a naturally aspirated engine, unless it's a monster big bore or, if it is turboed with heavier weights in the clutch then you might get away with higher gears. As it stands though put that sled on a secure stand, warm the engine, hold it wide open and see what kind of track speed you get and GEAR DOWN as needed.When I buy one of these I will gear down to 54 /66 if tere is gear set that low and bet that the track speed on the stand will still be 80. Gearing is key long before clutching,, I don't care what some of these shops say... Look at it this way say you build a really fast street car,, gear it high and try to drag race it. Will you try to change the clutching to improve performance? or, GEAR DOWN? At some point some of you guys have to make a decision,, Do you want a mountain sled? or a trail sled. Both is impossible, if you want to go fast down the trail buy a trail sled, if you want a mountain sled gear them down and go ride in the mountains...

KMMAC,
Well said, brother.

G

Gibsons

Nov 26, 2007
saskatoon
**** Ski-Doo (not bashing) youare finr hwre you are at.Big power b=makes shir happen! Get used to it. This is the way of the Cat! YEP!
This wi;; hapen dot sweat it.

Go turbo for sure. If anyone gives you **** just send'em my way.
I'll fixtheose ****inYamasFags liketheynever saw it coming. Yep. FlatBlack Cat8hundo There INYOUFACE. NOW. gET-IT!

I should have read this last night when i was drunk instead of trying to figure it out this morning with a hangover:face-icon-small-sad

C
Nov 26, 2007
castlegar
ttt

I've tried gearing down (57/63), made no difference in clutch heat and I was getting run down by a new xp and a new m8, the guys are lighter than me but still they were on my tail, not any more, back to (60/60). As for Mtcat, If you have any suggestion or possibly a magic wand that will help, me, the Dealer, numerous people that are also having these proplems, $h!t maybe you can even help Arctic cat on this one. If not please keep you opions to yourself. this was not a shot at you or your sled, if you are having good luck with your sled, thats awsome, consider yourself luckey !!!!. Alot of people are not !!!! You know I find this funny, and I"ve seen it here lots before, when you post something that is wrong or not quite up to quality with your sled, and state that you are a little upset, guys get right bent out of shape, GUYS it's not your wife, or first born.. Any how I still really like my sled just getting a little tired and the old wallet is getting pretty light LOL.

Last edited:
M
Get a good Belt

ok i had the worst problems with my belts, never got over a 100 miles on them:mad: Then i whent to a ultimaxXs I took the time and made sure it was a good break in. That means no speeds over 30 not 50 or short burst att 60 for 3 long rides so if u have bad problems TAKE YOUR DA*** time and go slow dont blow your $$$ on ac belts. u can try this and Xs belts have warranty so dont wine about spending $$$ i have 3000 $$$ in belts, Now i can say I been riding hard in the deep and steep hills all year on ONE BELT. If you dont like the Xs belt to bad for u it works for three M1000s that are hard on thier cats, ****k artic belts its made to pull threads and they love the $$ their banking in thanks to all who buy them.

WWW.CarlisleSnowBelts.com

Last edited:
K
Dec 11, 2007
I've tried gearing down (57/63), made no difference in clutch heat and I was getting run down by a new xp and a new m8, the guys are lighter than me but still they were on my tail, not any more, back to (60/60). As for Mtcat, If you have any suggestion or possibly a magic wand that will help, me, the Dealer, numerous people that are also having these proplems, $h!t maybe you can even help Arctic cat on this one. If not please keep you opions to yourself. this was not a shot at you or your sled, if you are having good luck with your sled, thats awsome, consider yourself luckey !!!!. Alot of people are not !!!! You know I find this funny, and I"ve seen it here lots before, when you post something that is wrong or not quite up to quality with your sled, and state that you are a little upset, guys get right bent out of shape, GUYS it's not your wife, or first born.. Any how I still really like my sled just getting a little tired and the old wallet is getting pretty light LOL.

Roy trader in for a M8 162,put a skinz can,Y pipe and boysen reeds and you'll be slaying M1000's...... or trade for that Xp????:beer;

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Hey Roy

09 M8 seems like a good choice considering Mod's.... Will the M8's have any motor issues with the new crank / power next year..... and what will that do to belt life and heat..... Something to think about.... But you said it on the hill once Roy " I think I got a Lemon "

Now I'm going to flat out say that the SkiDoo's are alot of fun with just a can.... I haven't blown a belt on mine yet 400km/250 miles but it runs HOT!!!! Makes the M8 clutch's and belt feel cold!!!

I have to say the M and the XP are almost dead even when you add everything up basic out of the box.... Stock these sled's pull most of our lines where we ride.

Rail Stifners on the Doo are a must from what I've seen... F.Y.I.

If stock makes you sick then Mumbles like an idiot is right.... Turbo M8 or 1200 Turbo and send all the flack Mumbles way.... LOL

:beer;

K
Dec 11, 2007
Hey Roy

09 M8 seems like a good choice considering Mod's.... Will the M8's have any motor issues with the new crank / power next year..... and what will that do to belt life and heat..... Something to think about.... But you said it on the hill once Roy " I think I got a Lemon "

Now I'm going to flat out say that the SkiDoo's are alot of fun with just a can.... I haven't blown a belt on mine yet 400km/250 miles but it runs HOT!!!! Makes the M8 clutch's and belt feel cold!!!

I have to say the M and the XP are almost dead even when you add everything up basic out of the box.... Stock these sled's pull most of our lines where we ride.

Rail Stifners on the Doo are a must from what I've seen... F.Y.I.

If stock makes you sick then Mumbles like an idiot is right.... Turbo M8 or 1200 Turbo and send all the flack Mumbles way.... LOL

Roy,that M8 162 demo i was on went unreal,it had the skinz can,Y pipe(not sure what brand i forgot) and boysen reeds and it was great but the bottom end was junk,once you got just over mid range it was mint. A M8 would deffenitly be the way to go for relilbility,there light,nibble...ect
and dougy whites goes awesome to,what done to his??

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Roy,that M8 162 demo i was on went unreal,it had the skinz can,Y pipe(not sure what brand i forgot) and boysen reeds and it was great but the bottom end was junk,once you got just over mid range it was mint. A M8 would deffenitly be the way to go for relilbility,there light,nibble...ect
and dougy whites goes awesome to,what done to his??

Doug's is stock!!! Hard to believe but it is, he dropped some primary weight.... I've rode it and he got a good one!!! Doesn't hurt that the man can Ride with the Best of them and makes that Cat look Good!!!

Roy I heard you are going up on Monday.... But now you say you have a 163X for the weekend...... See you up there tomorrow before I head for Nights.....

K
Dec 11, 2007
Doug's is stock!!! Hard to believe but it is, he dropped some primary weight.... I've rode it and he got a good one!!! Doesn't hurt that the man can Ride with the Best of them and makes that Cat look Good!!!

Roy I heard you are going up on Monday.... But now you say you have a 163X for the weekend...... See you up there tomorrow before I head for Nights.....

stock!!! i never knew that LOL,she ripps good

S
Oct 27, 2008
Its funny how all the threads you read about cats blowing belts is the guys that are super tuners. Put in 85g weights in it, loads the **** out of your motor, cheese grate the heck out of your belley pan for air and then your belt blowing issue should stop

C
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns
Im sick of cat and the cat dealer we have to deal with here.
Brand new factory motor in my mnt cat and got 60 miles out of it.
Got to ride it one time this year!!
NO help from cat or the dealer..:mad:
Look out Doo here i come!!!!!!!!!

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
I'm new to the kitty game here but I bought a used 08 M8 and found that it had belt shreads all over under the hood. I see somebody had already pulled the shim behind the secondary as well. I did some clutching and the only thing that I did find was when the primary was hot the main bushing was sticking since I would pull things apart to try ather setup. Long story short I bought a new primary and didn't blow a belt all season and no more binding when hot. It is still over geared, that will be taken care of this summer.

Premium Features