• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking of jumping ship

C
Nov 26, 2007
castlegar
:mad:So here it is, I have a 09 m1000 le with 870km, I've gone through 1 motor, 3 belts and a wiring harness, so needless to say I'm starting to get a little pissed. It seems I'm under the hood or at the dealer more than I'm on the hill. And if I'm on the hill I can't ride the way I like cause I'm scared of blowing another $200 belt. Just woundering if any of you guy have had a chance to run or ride many 09 doo summit 800 with the 163. How did they compare, are there many pros or cons, or do you think I will be jumping from one pile of crap to another. :mad:

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
heres a thought, instead of switching brands, which honestly can be a PITA cuz you dont know anything about the other sleds design. just get an M8, they run right with the doo 800 and then you have a sled that works great and your still very used to the chassis and whatnot.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Wow, bad luck.....

Unfortunately no matter what brand you go to you will find problems. I hear more problems about ski doos than cats. We have 6 M's in our group and all run well with no issues except related to aftermarket stuff. I have 3 seasons on my M1000 and it gets about 700 miles out of a belt.

For the cost to trade, I would sort out the problems you are having. The motor was just bad luck I bet and the belt problems usually have free cures. Alignment, shieve prep, proper weights, etc. One big help is gearing down.

Good luck.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the 09 m1's seem to just be slaying belts, the oil pump shafts dont work out and seize causing trouble with motors.

but honestly, if you like the chassis, then get an M8, I love my DOO and others i have riden, but the problems your having arent gonna go away if you buy an XP i can tell you that. All brands have lemons, and sometimes you cant have it all and have it work.

C
Nov 26, 2007
castlegar
ttt

I've tried venting, I've tried different clutch setups, I've even tried different belts, and different alignments, nothing seems to make this sled work the way I need it to. So I'm kinda lost here. I would try the m8 but it slays belts just as bad as my 1000, and I know because I ride with 2 of them. I think when it comes down to it cat $h!t the bed on these machines.... As far as I'm concerned the last good machine Cat made was the M7. And they stopped making them cause they ran to well and didn't make them any $$$ in parts. Sorry just blowing off a little steam.:mad::mad::mad:

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I think you just happened to get a Friday late shift 4:30pm assembly sled from the factory. It was a lemon off the line. I'm rare to hear stories about the new M's like that.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Ill second yer feelings Cheeky. Sat I'm taking the same machine out for the first tme in 5 weeks. I know Ill have fun but the whole time I too will be worried about belts etc etc. I just got my ecu back from a remapping/reflash. I can tell already that there is still a bog on the bottom end. 2 weeks from now Im heading to skagway AK for a 1 week ride and have alot of tweekin to do on this 1000 before the ride begins. Am I going to get reimbursed from AC? Were going to gear it down, maybe try a steeper helix, is this going to cure my problems? YA know I bought this sled this year to be a rellaible backup to my M7-900 BB. 4 yrs warranty, big motor new power claw blah blah blah. I phoned AC and they just told me to take it to the dealer. Hes got some good ideas but is AC ging to foot the bill? Id say they're going to lose some good customers if they dont own up to these issues. I cant seee myself stickin with AC if the sled cant be built reliable. I am at my wits end,the ol lady is pissed at the money Im dumping into the "new" sled. And cant wait for summer for the first time ever!!! Yeah Im just venting also. I feel for ya brotha.............

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
**** Ski-Doo (not bashing) youare finr hwre you are at.Big power b=makes shir happen! Get used to it. This is the way of the Cat! YEP!
This wi;; hapen dot sweat it.

Go turbo for sure. If anyone gives you **** just send'em my way.
I'll fixtheose ****inYamasFags liketheynever saw it coming. Yep. FlatBlack Cat8hundo There INYOUFACE. NOW. gET-IT!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
have never blown a belt in almost 5,000 miles on my M8, and we are as hard on em' as you can get. have gotten up to 2,000 miles on one belt. changed it at the beggining of the next season. doesn't get any better than that...

HMC 399

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2008
utah
What's your riding style, typical ride? This may sound like a dumb question but from what little I know it can make a huge difference in how you set up your sled.

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
**** Ski-Doo (not bashing) youare finr hwre you are at.Big power b=makes shir happen! Get used to it. This is the way of the Cat! YEP!

I'll fixtheose ****inYamasFags liketheynever saw it coming. Yep. FlatBlack Cat8hundo There INYOUFACE. NOW. gET-IT!

??? :confused: :rolleyes:

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I've tried venting, I've tried different clutch setups, I've even tried different belts, and different alignments, nothing seems to make this sled work the way I need it to. So I'm kinda lost here. I would try the m8 but it slays belts just as bad as my 1000, and I know because I ride with 2 of them. I think when it comes down to it cat $h!t the bed on these machines.... As far as I'm concerned the last good machine Cat made was the M7. And they stopped making them cause they ran to well and didn't make them any $$$ in parts. Sorry just blowing off a little steam.:mad::mad::mad:

Sounds like the person or shop that is working on your Cats could be doing something SERIOUSLY WRONG! The M8 does not blow belts. The 1000 is a belt blower if not set up correctly. If its you working on your own sleds, STOP PUT DOWN THE TOOLS! AND TAKE IT TO SOME ONE THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

Over 3400 miles on my 165hp+ M8 and have gone through 3 belts. Not one of them blew or even came close to blowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMG3zWn-Nyk
Ridgetop.jpg

C
Nov 26, 2007
castlegar
ttt

Wow ?????????????????????????????????????????????:eek:

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
GEAR DOWN !!!!!! The problem you have is an OLD problem... Some say clutch clutch clutch. These sleds are set up gear wise to protect the D/D. Cat refuses to gear these monsters down due to THEIR COPY of the drive case. With a little care and some ingenuity gearing down is THE MOST effective way to increase belt life. I would like to put one these 1000's on a stand with the recommended lower gears and see what kind of track speed it would pull. 70 to 80 mph is ALL you want with a naturally aspirated engine, unless it's a monster big bore or, if it is turboed with heavier weights in the clutch then you might get away with higher gears. As it stands though put that sled on a secure stand, warm the engine, hold it wide open and see what kind of track speed you get and GEAR DOWN as needed.When I buy one of these I will gear down to 54 /66 if tere is gear set that low and bet that the track speed on the stand will still be 80. Gearing is key long before clutching,, I don't care what some of these shops say... Look at it this way say you build a really fast street car,, gear it high and try to drag race it. Will you try to change the clutching to improve performance? or, GEAR DOWN? At some point some of you guys have to make a decision,, Do you want a mountain sled? or a trail sled. Both is impossible, if you want to go fast down the trail buy a trail sled, if you want a mountain sled gear them down and go ride in the mountains...

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
jump off that heavy ship and go doo.im glad i did.:)

Last edited:
F
Nov 29, 2007
Check motor mounts. I had to replace my M7's and spoke with a few guys that have the 1000, and they said they have to replace mounts every year. However, it sounds like you don't have that many miles? I believe the 1000 has two motor torque stops, get her aligned and tighten em up perhaps. Same guys told me the aluminum bulkheads tend to crack in the same places. I geared my M7 down, and it helped with clutch heat. Just some thoughts, good luck!
Mark

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
GEAR DOWN !!!!!! The problem you have is an OLD problem... Some say clutch clutch clutch. These sleds are set up gear wise to protect the D/D. Cat refuses to gear these monsters down due to THeiR COPY of the drive case. With a little care and some ingenuity gearing down is THE MOST effective way to increase belt life. I would like to put one these 1000's on a stand with the recommended lower gears and see what kind of track speed it would pull. 70 to 80 mph is ALL you want with a naturally aspirated can handle. Now if it is turboed with heavier weights in the clutch then you might get away with higher gears. As it stands though put that sled on a secure stand, warm the engine, hold it wide open and see what kind of track speed you get and GEAR DOWN as needed.When I buy one of these I will gear down to 54 /66 and bet that the track speed on the stand will still be 80. Gearing is key long before clutching,, I don't care what some of these shops say... Look at it this way say you build a really fast street car,, gear it high and try to drag race it. Will you try to change the clutching to improve performance? or, GEAR DOWN? At some point some of you guys have to make a decision,, Do you want a mountain sled? or a trail sled. Both is impossible, if you want to go fast down the trail buy a trail sled, if you want a mountain sled gear them down and go ride in the mountains...

ha ha - you know i have already buddy and it doesn't help...

here's the threads boys = read 'em all and you'll see the efforts i've gone through to fix the belt problem. Cat knows about it too and is "working" on it. In the mean time i've bought nine belts this year... ****ers. :mad:

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143397

AND

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131080&highlight=belt+blower

i don't want to add it up, but I guarentee no one has spent the time and money i have looking for a fix for this problem. I still haven't fixed it yet either.

If only i could get a fix to this issue - as my sled runs HARD and i LOVE it besides the belt issue. i got this thing dialed - but not a ride goes buy without pulling threads...

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
4000 miles on my 2005 bb m8 turbo and on the 3rd belt in its lifetime (but it is going to need a new one at the start of next season). Don't know if this means anything but I actually had my clutch machined off the back hub so I could run it in closer to the dd. (no it doesn't line up with a clutch alingnment tool). I go off marks on the sheaves.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Quickie,,, what is your track speed on a stand???? Has ANYBODY tried this yet??? If your driven clutch is not shifting a little slower (to create a load) than the drive clutch then there is an issue. Does the driven have a bushing that rides on the shaft? Is this bushing sticking out towards the D/D maybe causing the clutch to not be mounted in far enough? Not being an a hole but somebody tell what happens when you do the free spin on a stand and tell me what the track speed is. If it's over 80 you are too high geared...Or there is structural alignment problem to the chassis that happened when the sled was assembled at the factory. Could it be that the D/D itself is not mounted in the chassis right? Meaning should it be moved over a few thou. towards the drive shaft? Could a shim be made to do this and see if this would fix the problem? mtn extreme's idea might work to if these clutches are the same. Don't trust that the cat alignment tool is right. Like mtn extreme said his doesn't work now with the machined driven... Quickie,, have you checked on another sled with your alignment tool? Can you find or know some one who has a 1000 working right? Check the difference in measurements between the two. Probably redundant, but gotta keep trying something..

Last edited:
Premium Features