• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about jumping ship

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Point is if you ride Polaris then it's a must to have quick hood release. Example was riding yesterday buddy's Polaris was running bad had to change plugs so yeah it was nice to take it off so quick so he didn't hold up the skidoos for very long. Fact of the matter is 96% of skidoo riders only take off one panel and thats to change a belt other than that if we so desire to take it apart it's in the warmth of our garage with a fridge full of beer.
Great post!! You’ve changed my mind, I hope Doo never comes with a quick change hood.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I bought a Gen 5 at the start of the season put just over 1800km on it. I’ve had it in the shop twice for warranty work. First go around was reeds and an injector, second was chain case. My sleds been at the dealer for 2 weeks still waiting on parts, expecting another few weeks. I’m on belt number 4 with my sled and all my track rods at the paddles are broken. It’s been my least reliable skidoo. BC has been getting epic snow the last few weeks so didn’t want to miss out, picked up a late arrival snowchecked Boost 155 Khaos. My Gen 5 expert 154 turbo r has fox float qs3, elevate spindles, and slp Mohawk skis which make it handle better than stock. The Gen 5 is the best handling skidoo sled to date and a nice step up from the Gen 4 but after putting 450km on the boost Polaris is still the better sled for handling. It just effortlessly goes where you point it using very little input. The skidoo takes more pull through the bars and steering with the bars to keep it going where you want. You can also feel the weight difference doing hip overs, bow ties, re entries…ect. For my riding Polaris is the best option handling wise. My boost out climbs my buddies stock Gen 5 turbo easily, he is 50-60lbs heavier than me. Stock for stock the Gen 5 will climb a bit higher, Polaris just needs a better track and there wouldn’t be a lot of difference. The power and power delivery on the Gen 5 turbo r is phenomenal, with out that there is no reason to run a Gen 5. The boost I find is in the middle of a Gen 4 and Gen 5 for seat off the pants power. The 2023 boost once through break in is pretty good off the bottom but more a mid to top end power sled. The Gen 5 has more low end instant power. Going to clutch and gear down my boost to help the low end. I have the large gauge on my doo it is very clean and nice to use as a gauge but horrible compared to the 7s in every way. I have had 2 spark plug separations on my boost switched to 94 chevron and have had no issues since. I’ve broken 2 primary springs, but since putting in glide washers haven’t had an issue.

End of the day both sleds are unreal and neither sled makes me a better rider over the other. I can take them both the same places. I’m more confident and in control with the boost in steep terrain but prefer the Gen 5’s power. Both turbos in 154-155 length are rowdy sleds that 80-90% of riders will never fully use.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I bought a Gen 5 at the start of the season put just over 1800km on it. I’ve had it in the shop twice for warranty work. First go around was reeds and an injector, second was chain case. My sleds been at the dealer for 2 weeks still waiting on parts, expecting another few weeks. I’m on belt number 4 with my sled and all my track rods at the paddles are broken. It’s been my least reliable skidoo. BC has been getting epic snow the last few weeks so didn’t want to miss out, picked up a late arrival snowchecked Boost 155 Khaos. My Gen 5 expert 154 turbo r has fox float qs3, elevate spindles, and slp Mohawk skis which make it handle better than stock. The Gen 5 is the best handling skidoo sled to date and a nice step up from the Gen 4 but after putting 450km on the boost Polaris is still the better sled for handling. It just effortlessly goes where you point it using very little input. The skidoo takes more pull through the bars and steering with the bars to keep it going where you want. You can also feel the weight difference doing hip overs, bow ties, re entries…ect. For my riding Polaris is the best option handling wise. My boost out climbs my buddies stock Gen 5 turbo easily, he is 50-60lbs heavier than me. Stock for stock the Gen 5 will climb a bit higher, Polaris just needs a better track and there wouldn’t be a lot of difference. The power and power delivery on the Gen 5 turbo r is phenomenal, with out that there is no reason to run a Gen 5. The boost I find is in the middle of a Gen 4 and Gen 5 for seat off the pants power. The 2023 boost once through break in is pretty good off the bottom but more a mid to top end power sled. The Gen 5 has more low end instant power. Going to clutch and gear down my boost to help the low end. I have the large gauge on my doo it is very clean and nice to use as a gauge but horrible compared to the 7s in every way. I have had 2 spark plug separations on my boost switched to 94 chevron and have had no issues since. I’ve broken 2 primary springs, but since putting in glide washers haven’t had an issue.

End of the day both sleds are unreal and neither sled makes me a better rider over the other. I can take them both the same places. I’m more confident and in control with the boost in steep terrain but prefer the Gen 5’s power. Both turbos in 154-155 length are rowdy sleds that 80-90% of riders will never fully use.
I also think the biggest difference is the track. Love the doo motor better but if had a better track the bottom end would feel better. We'll see next year with 325.
Funny thing on the weight the specs show about a 2 pound difference and doo has shot. When you see them weighed, rtr, there i quite a bit of difference. Something doesn't add up.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I also think the biggest difference is the track. Love the doo motor better but if had a better track the bottom end would feel better. We'll see next year with 325.
Funny thing on the weight the specs show about a 2 pound difference and doo has shot. When you see them weighed, rtr, there i quite a bit of difference. Something doesn't add up.
Yeah doos dry weights are off. Couple pounds difference then the gap grows to 20+lbs with a sled that’s holding more fuel. I’ll be putting on a doo or Lynx track this summer on my boost.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

Wait a second... you gave me a hard time when I posted pretty much the same exact thing 6 weeks ago ?

You even referred to the G5 as very comparable to the Matryx.

I do agree, they will both go the same places... equally capable, but very different in how they get there.

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
I was going n your shoes early Dec 2022. Polaris all the way for 20 plus years. Have a dialed in 18 800 Axys always there for me. Rode a buddy’s 23 ski Doo turbo r 165 for 2 days in Dec Awsome snow. Myself and the sled were flawless for 2 days of riding
Never could say that on my Polaris
The switch from Polaris to ski Doo was soooo easy. The turbo r just cuts thru the snow with skis perfectly 2’ off the snow. Serious confidence builder
Found a back out 23 skid Doo turbo r and bought it and never looked back
The ski Doo raised my rider level up 2 notches The good days are now great the mistakes are minor. The recoveries are easier and most important the pain level on my body has dramatically decreased cuz of the better riding I’m doing. Oh and forgot the stucks of old on the Polaris are almost non existent now Skill set has increased confidence level is Awsome and now can spend more days on the snow.
Buy a ski Doo turbo r.
Period!
Drop the mike!
You can thank me later after your checks stop hurting from laughing soo dam hard all day in your helmet
I read this a few weeks ago thinking this guy is drunk on doolaid. But I was same situation, Polaris down for year with parts on backorder. Bought a backed out snowcheck G5 expert turbo 165. The statements here are true.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Wait a second... you gave me a hard time when I posted pretty much the same exact thing 6 weeks ago ?

You even referred to the G5 as very comparable to the Matryx.

I do agree, they will both go the same places... equally capable, but very different in how they get there.
Lol a Gen 5 with my add ons is very comparable, closest you can get a doo to act as a Polaris but yes still not a Polaris but no where near as far apart as they use to be. My skidoo diehard buddy road my boost, his exact words was it’s not like it’s way better it’s just overall easier to ride.

I’ll give anyone a hard time saying one is far superior to the other or one sled will make you a better rider.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Only on internet forums is the Polaris consider the pinnacle of handling and the standard that must be attained and replicated. If I have 2 dimes and a nickel, do I not have 25 cents? Argument, but it isn't a quarter, a quarter is larger. Ahh but I have 3 coins, so mine is better. But three coins is harder to keep track of, easy to lose one. Ahh but if you lose a quarter you have nothing, I have 15 cents. I won't lose my quarter it's to big says the man panhandling for spare change.

S
Mar 18, 2018
Good riders if Polaris wins the shootout, Ski Doo wins and now poor riders- guess your correct Polaris makes you a better rider lol

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Good riders if Polaris wins the shootout, Ski Doo wins and now poor riders- guess your correct Polaris makes you a better rider lol
Guys from out east that ride the mountains a few times a year are not mountain riders was my point. Either sled a good rider can take the same places, if you are a lower level rider neither sled is going to make you miraculously better then if you had the other.

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
Only on internet forums is the Polaris consider the pinnacle of handling and the standard that must be attained and replicated. If I have 2 dimes and a nickel, do I not have 25 cents? Argument, but it isn't a quarter, a quarter is larger. Ahh but I have 3 coins, so mine is better. But three coins is harder to keep track of, easy to lose one. Ahh but if you lose a quarter you have nothing, I have 15 cents. I won't lose my quarter it's to big says the man panhandling for spare change.

This is absolutely false.

Unbiased and honest people will all agree that the Polaris has the better chassis for mountain riding. Has nothing to do with forums dude. Facts are facts.

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon

Damn man that is unfortunate. Especially during a snow year that we've had - the backordered chain cases have sent guys home early. I know gremlins happen, but they've had this same chain system for how many years?? I've heard that they shipped sleds with the wrong chain installed - has anyone else heard this?

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Damn man that is unfortunate. Especially during a snow year that we've had - the backordered chain cases have sent guys home early. I know gremlins happen, but they've had this same chain system for how many years?? I've heard that they shipped sleds with the wrong chain installed - has anyone else heard this?
Yeah that’s exactly what they did to get sleds to guys on time. Hyvo spec but not in the sleds once delivered.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
This is absolutely false.

Unbiased and honest people will all agree that the Polaris has the better chassis for mountain riding. Has nothing to do with forums dude. Facts are facts.

Side by side, the Polaris chassis does have some advantages over Doo’s that likely have a positive influence on its handling and performance in the mountains:

Less weight and rotating mass with the belt drive on the Poo;

Lower center of gravity and rotating mass with the location of Poo’s secondary;

A less steep angle of attack on the front of the Poo’s track; and

The Poo sits higher off the snow.

Combined they all contribute to allowing the Poo to get up on the snow quicker, with less drag.

Doo has the better motor and quality but the Poo has the better chassis and handling.

Premium Features