• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about an M8 over a D8....

D

duc848

Dec 3, 2007
Brooklyn, New York
I have been out of sledding since 2004. I was almost ready to buy a D8 155 a few weeks ago. I had a bike for sale and the guy backed out so I didnt buy a sled yet. I have been on here for a few months and there seem to be lots of issues with the D8 anyway so I am reconsidering buying one and getting a M8 instead. I got burned by Arctic Cat about 14 years ago on a sled that the dealer, well several dealerships could not find any problem with. It was an old EFI 580 that had a bog issue that was inconsistent long story. I was only 22 years old and didnt know any better or I would have done a lemon law buyback. So I then bought a Polaris and never looked back. So I am a little leary about buying a Cat again. I think its more of a pride thing that anything else. I would like some feedback on them. I have searched trust me, the only thing I can see is they are a little down on power versus the other guys. I will more than likely wait for a 2010 if the rumors of more power are true. I also have this wierd attraction to the HCR as well....thanks

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Personally you can't go wrong with either sled.
I was in the same position 1 month ago and it basically came down to dealer support after the sale. I have had better luck with my local Cat dealer than others have had with the Polaris dealer. The M was a little lighter and cost me about the same after i added the Boss seat. 460 or so dry is really light for a stock sled. I am 225 before I put gear on and came off a 190HP triple. Its down a bit on power but the fun factor is off the charts. I rode with a couple of Dragons and regularly ride with an Assault, both are excellent sleds and work very good. I would buy the one you like the best and ride it, they are both excellent sleds.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
get the m sled, the sled is bullet proof right out of the box. I too ride with dragons and even though the seem to perform ok (they don't beat the m8) they have way more issues.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If you get the hcr make sure its broke in right. the m8 are out of the box power to get the full hp on a d8 you have to know what your doing. read a magazine that dyno'd a d8 and got just over 145hp. The new track turns easier hooks alot better the m's transfer power to the ground using less energy so you wind up with more power on the ground. the 09 m8 flat rips and from what I've seen is a better mountain sled. but if your going from a newer rmk to a m series you will prob want a taller seat on the m. D8 is a fun sled though.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I ride both an M8 HCR 153 and a Dragon 800 155. Both tracks are hooking up well in the dry CO fluff. The power claw chugs around on top better at low speed. The D8 is much easier to flick around and boondock with. Throwing J-hook turns are easier for me on the D8 compared to the HCR (HCR has that wide ski stance that might be a contributing factor there). The HCR is better at landing jumps (more stable) and takes the whoops better on the trail (steering is tight though on the HCR). Power wise both sleds are very comparable but I can honestly say I hit a higher mark on the hill with the D8 and I feel the series 5.1 track is still a very good climbing track even with how good the power claw goes at slow speeds. I am completely not bias toward either sled since I just came off an Edge last year so both sleds are night and day easier to handle over my old edge and way more fun to ride. :beer;

I

indy28

Nov 26, 2007
N. Wisconsin
Just picked up a 09 M8. Came off a Polaris, and had polaris before that. Absolutely agree with dealer support being a huge factor. I weighed heavily between the D8 and M8. Came down to a little of both, between the reliability issues of polaris 800's and the cost difference. Couldn't find a D8 close to the M8 unless I went with a shift RMK. Either way though can't imagaine you will go wrong...have fun shopping! :beer;

Premium Features