• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The 900's - General thoughts

A
Nov 11, 2009
Hi guys.
I've been a lurker here for a long while, and a poster for some time. I've read countless threads about the 900 sleds over the last year, and I'm well aware of previous discussion that's taken place here. But still I hope to get some general thoughts from you.

I developed an interest in this particular sled some years ago. I'm a Polaris veteran and I've had close to 20 Polaris sleds, from 1990 onwards, including the Indy 500, 650, XLT, Storm, XCR SP, Edge and Fusion 600. I've always been lucky with my sleds, excluding the Storm 750 :nono:

Anyways, a little over a year ago I was offered an even trade on my '06 Fusion Dragon 600, for a Fusion 900 '06. As I was looking for the most horsepower for as little cash as possible, I went through with it. I got laughed at from some directions, as I'm rather light in weight and certainly not the worlds strongest man. I remember having read so much negative feedback about the 900's that I myself laughed in the face on my dealer (who happens to be a friend) when he suggested I'd go for the 900. Without really knowing anything from personal experience.
But I have to say, this was one of my best decisions.

Simply put, I love the sled. Granted I have done some minor modifications to it, and since then the sled's a beast.
The mod's include:
SLP Air box
2" lug track
SLP Vent kit
719 TEAM helix
165-310 Almond red primary spring
C&A Razor Ski's
CPI Twin stinger can

I drive aggressively off trail with numerous Cats, Doos and Poos (all 800-1000 '08 and newer) and never once have I felt "threatened" in any circumstance.
More to the point, the sled has been flawless for close to 1000 miles since I got it. Not one plug fouled, no belt problems, no bog....just perfect really.
I know of a few 900's around here, Fusion's, RMK's and Switchback, and they all seem to be trouble free and everyone seems pleased with performance.

Yet, there is days's worth of data and writing slagging these sleds around here and on Hardcore sledder. I have to say I'm a little surprised by this from my own experience. For example, I've driven a 2008 RMK 800 155" quite a lot this winter and I always feel like I'm down on power, coming from the 900. I also happen to like the Fusion, which has been the subject of much debate like you know.

So at the end of the day I'd like to ask, do you think all this negativity towards the 900's was justifiable ??
I admit to not knowing the 2005 model, but I have to say, I dont see anything today in the Polaris lineup the would get me off my 900.

Thanx for reading.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
throw some compfusion mounts and a fbf throttle/oiler cable in that baby and rip the newer sleds another A-hole! My 900 always rocked besides the motor mounts and that throttle/oiler cable! Never had a complaint about the power but the chassis itself wasnt meant to be beat on and it didnt handle as well as i would have liked it to but all in all it was the best sled i ever owned!:face-icon-small-hap

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
First... let me preface this in that I'm a big fan of the 900's... Enough so that I'm investing my time in another custom build of the 900. :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap
(Click HERE for a link to the project)

There were some 900's that were problem free... others that were a nightmare. Some went 1500 miles on the original 3211080 belt.. others ate them like tick-tacks... Some 900's/755's went through stators (mostly '06's) others have not had an electrical problem in 5000 miles... some 900's have been through 4 cranks in 2000 miles.. others have the original in a 4000 mile machine.

A lot of it was luck of the draw combined with manufacturing tolerances, assembly QC ect. There are lots of good reasons/descriptions/cures in this post (Click Here)

The extent of this is that I have personally talked to Polaris engineers in the field that have described these sleds as the "900 Debacle" :face-icon-small-sho

The 900's are nicknamed "the Tractor" for a reason... they are heavy and not as nimble as the small block counterparts. A lot of this was covered in this thread (Click Here)

Also, one thing that is not taken into account is the 10mm longer stroke on the 900's... this and the related extra weight of the bigger crank/rods induces more gyroscopic effect into the chassis as you are riding it.

All this said.. I love the "GRUNT" of the 900's.. the way they seem to make instant power and the easy mods that will get 170 honest (corrected) HP out of the motor for low dollar without porting or big bore... on PUMP gas no less. (the SLP perf edition kit).

You do have to be ready for the power though.. and just like any higher performance sled... I strongly believe that this sled should not be someones first entry into sledding...as attractive as the prices on these sleds are... a first time rider would be much better served in learning on a smaller displacement sled... The 900's can get you into trouble quickly!!

Have Fun!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
IMO...The 900 & other IQ (non-IQR) chassis... Are probably the most durable consumer chassis on the market. I don't know of another consumer chassis (bulkhead/tunnel assembly) that will take the kind of beating that I've personally put on the sled as well as others (like Guido LOL).

Last edited:

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
I strongly believe that this sled should not be someones first entry into sledding...as attractive as the prices on these sleds are... a first time rider would be much better served in learning on a smaller displacement sled... The 900's can get you into trouble quickly!!

Have Fun!!

Agree on that! I came of a 1994 ZR 580. Was at Polaris one day and saw the sled and it was a good price I couldn't resist. I am so glad I bought this sled. I will admit it was a little hard to get used to and i'm still learning but for the most part in deep pow I can carve pretty easy. I love my 900 and don't plan on ever getting rid of it unless Polaris comes out with another 900! For the most part the repairs I have had to do on my sled were caused by my stupidity:face-icon-small-sho

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
if youve been around here lurking..you know i am a fan as well.i have 2 of them now...and want to eventually get a turbo on my 06, and my 05 will be a 975 this summer..

the guys that hated this sled had many of the same complaints, but like MH said..alot was due to improper maintenance, cheap fixes, bad quality control from polaris (ie. engine/clutch alignment out of spec from the factory and since they are non adjustable, they blew belts/cranks), and after a bad incident some guys just didnt want to mess with them..

after some time, money, and massages, your good to go..

i am a 900 fan...for a long time...pray for the future 900 sled ;)

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I think the 900 is a great sled, so much power and a very strong chassis. Once set up properly, the 900s rock. One of my favorite aspects of the sled is the ability to just 'putt' up stuff... you can run up a lot of places at 1/4-1/2 throttle, very cool after coming off a pin-it anywhere you go type sled, the torque is very addicting. They aren't necessarily for everyone, but there are those of us that just love them.. mine has been essentially pull and go all season... over 1,000 miles:D Still on the same plugs and same belt too, tho the belt has looked better I admit...

Last edited:
A
Nov 11, 2009
I'd like to thank you all for your input, hopefully there's more to come. I can't think of anything better to discuss during this time of year :face-icon-small-win

Like MH and others pointed out the 900's are probably best suited for a selected group of snowmobilers. It seems I fit well in there, I can do without the super sharp throttle reaction like I felt on the 600's for the low end 900 grunt and endless pull.

It looks like most of you own RMK's or Switchbacks, not the Fusion like I do. In some ways I envy those who own the longer models, especially since they are compatible for the '09-up plastic, which would be my first choice if it were possible for the Fusion.

I was determined to upgrade to a 2011 Pro-R or Assault next winter, but given the huge sum I'd have to cough up for that to happen, for a machine that seems to be of questionable quality (800 CFI), I'm contemplating getting a '06 900 Switchback instead, and also keeping the Fusion.
Having two of these monsters, one short, one longer warms my thoughts. And for significantly less $ than the one '11 model! :devil:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
It looks like most of you own RMK's or Switchbacks, not the Fusion like I do. In some ways I envy those who own the longer models, especially since they are compatible for the '09-up plastic, which would be my first choice if it were possible for the Fusion.

WHOA buddy...

in the sled world we dont say "IF" it were possible....we do it..

sure looks like a Fusion 900, with 09 front to me ;)

have at it..:face-icon-small-hap

pic.jpg

pic2.jpg

Last edited:
A
Nov 11, 2009
I'll be damned..I've actually searched for this on the web but no results. I honestly thought this would be too much trouble for anyone to go through with it...it's costly to get a new hood with all gauges and stuff.

Can this (the plastic) be done without major trouble, in a "bolt on" understanding on the Fusion ?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I'll be damned..I've actually searched for this on the web but no results. I honestly thought this would be too much trouble for anyone to go through with it...it's costly to get a new hood with all gauges and stuff.

Can this (the plastic) be done without major trouble, in a "bolt on" understanding on the Fusion ?

LOL....you ask and you shall recieve. lol

well the bulkhead on the fusion is the same as the RMK..

the headlight wiring is the same.

alls you would need to get other then the 09 front end kit, would be IQ hood (lots of used ones for sale), IQ headlight, IQ intake shelf for under hood, and i would bet its a GO!!

just read all the 09 install threads, on what you have to do..very easy really...just have to cut a new exhuast hole, plug old hole, and drill some holes for some rivots in your plastic and bulkhead and your rocking an 09 front end ;)

good luck, hope we can help you more bud.

D

dmj1

Jul 31, 2007
add boost

Now take everything everyone has said and add 12 lbs of boost !!
the fun factor doubles!! I find myself craving to go ride it . lol!
these motors love boost and are reliable.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
IMO...The 900 & other IQ (non-IQR) chassis... Are probably the most durable consumer sled on the market. I don't know of another consumer sled that will take the kind of beating that I've personally put on the sled as well as others (like Guido LOL).

I don't know that I'd go that far. The IQ's are definately a fine handling, riding sled when set up correctly and I love mine, however I still believe other than the clutch internals, a skidoo is a much better built sled from the factory. I've had my 900 and an 860 Dragon down to the bare tunnel as I've had an XP, Rev's and RT's (tunnel replacement on those for cooler leak and another for rock drop endo's) The comparison of quality is in a different league. The Polaris wiring reminds me of VW's...garbage! The bolts...grade 5's??? I could go on and on but there's already too much Poo bashing.

But...the 900's were over internet hyped as being garbage. They are a much better sled than their reputation. I would also say that all the stators I've seen bad were on 05's... don't necessarily know if one year is worse than the other.

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
I bought my 05 900 from a friend that didn't like the way it steered (too hard). I got it pretty cheap and the only thing I've done to it is engine mounts, ski's, SLP torque stop/arm and clutch balance. It has performed flawlessly and has ton's of power. I have found I use half the throttle I used on my 670 Summit which is no slouch as far as power goes. Great sled, glad I stole it from my friend. He bought an 800 Dragon that has been rebuilt a couple times already.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I don't know that I'd go that far. The IQ's are definately a fine handling, riding sled when set up correctly and I love mine, however I still believe other than the clutch internals, a skidoo is a much better built sled from the factory. I've had my 900 and an 860 Dragon down to the bare tunnel as I've had an XP, Rev's and RT's (tunnel replacement on those for cooler leak and another for rock drop endo's) The comparison of quality is in a different league. The Polaris wiring reminds me of VW's...garbage! The bolts...grade 5's??? I could go on and on but there's already too much Poo bashing.

I agree completely, the overall quality of the Ski Doo in regards to assembly, lay out and other things like wiring quality and QC ... better on the Doo than on the IQ Polaris... Yamaha is better than the Ski Doo in these same departments.

I can see where I slipped up.... I guess I should have been more clear.

I meant the chassis itself...meaning the strength of the bulkhead and tunnel assembly of the IQ is, IMO, the strongest out there of any factory offering.

Especially after replacing 3 nuns on my own REV and 2 S-members on friends XP's... The Doo just cant take the same kind of "hit" and drive away like the IQ chassis can.

I've run into trees, hit boulders (actually an entire cliff band) and other things that I doubt that any other chassis would have driven home from.

In regards to quality of assembly on the 900's... Well... lets just say my Polaris' have been taken down to sheet metal for a reason. (wink)

Dave... what are you working on for a summer project this year??

A
Nov 11, 2009
Among the things I'd like to get your opinion on, is the alleged quality differences between the 2005 and 2006 models.
From where I come from, the 2005 models got knocked down pretty severely, as in badmouthing engine quality.
Some of the things I've read online lead me to believe that this was the case in the US too, to the point where many Polaris fanatics would to this day, advise you NOT to buy the 2005 model, but go with the '06 instead.

Reasons for me asking ? I'm considering buying a long tracked 900 (I already own the Fusion '06 as stated above) and I've come across quite a few '05s, including a mint RMK 166".

I'm not at all familiar with the updates that were required on the 05's and to make things worse, it is a known fact that around these parts sleds haven't always been updated unless something has broken down. So sleds that were maybe bought and not driven much have not been updated and might therefore be the worst in the end run even though they look mint with low miles!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
The 05s do get a lot of badmouthing for some reason (and even reading as many posts here as I do, I still haven't really figured out why:confused:) all I can tell you is I love my 05, it runs neck and neck with my buddies 06 and has been extremely reliable for me this whole season. As to the updates, there are more to be done on the 05s (not really sure what all of them are) but if you give the machine a thorough inspection and its running good, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an 05.

Just my personal opinion:beer;:D

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Among the things I'd like to get your opinion on, is the alleged quality differences between the 2005 and 2006 models.
From where I come from, the 2005 models got knocked down pretty severely, as in badmouthing engine quality.
Some of the things I've read online lead me to believe that this was the case in the US too, to the point where many Polaris fanatics would to this day, advise you NOT to buy the 2005 model, but go with the '06 instead.

Reasons for me asking ? I'm considering buying a long tracked 900 (I already own the Fusion '06 as stated above) and I've come across quite a few '05s, including a mint RMK 166".

I'm not at all familiar with the updates that were required on the 05's and to make things worse, it is a known fact that around these parts sleds haven't always been updated unless something has broken down. So sleds that were maybe bought and not driven much have not been updated and might therefore be the worst in the end run even though they look mint with low miles!

if your looking, dont OVERLOOK, shop around... :face-icon-small-win
look at the links in my signature!
one is basically stock plus updates, motor mounts, cables, airbox, etc etc
the other is well.....a money pit:face-icon-small-hap

both are awesome sleds, lol, trying to sell my 900's on a positive 900 thread:face-icon-small-coo

just saying haha...

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i have both the 05 and 06 900 now...the 06 is still in the building process, so i have no seat time on it yet..but my wife also has an 06 rmk 700...so i have seen pretty much everything there is to see on the 05/06 sleds..

i have had nothing but a GREAT time on them...no major issues, and been pull n go since i got them in summer of 08..

read this thread on what they need...but of coarse if you have a fusion now, you knw some of it if not all of it..
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112723

the 05 were the first year they made it so of coarse it will have its issues, and most of the updates they had were corrected for the 06 models..so it will look like the 06 was better initially, even though it had recalls as well...

the recalls are all a MUST..but very easy to get done...if you have the dealer run the VIN# they will know whats done and whats not done..and they will (or should) do the work for free....

the 05 jaclshaft is higher in the chassis, so it makes the gyro effect offset the sled and makes it feel heavier on top so in turn feels heavier to turn over..

but there are MANY things to compare from the 05 and 06...we could go on forever on whats better...but its what u like..

in my opinion...i love the 05..and i wont trade it for nothing...if its a good deal, get it. compare prices, and what has been done to it or another sled, get the updates done and ride that baby..

you will love the power on either 900, but you have to do the right things to them to get the most out of it...and if you need inputs on where to spend your money...we would be more then happy to point you in the direction you need..

but if you plan on riding a stock 900...you wont fully appreciate the true power and climbing ability these babies have...

Premium Features