• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedwerx or SLP

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Im thinking of putting a pipe on my 07 M8 I have the speedwerx y-pipe and can but was thinking of the whole pipe kit? Who do most guys like? Is there a huge difference in the two for power? Fit and finnish?

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
Slp

I just installed the SLP on my new 09. Fit and finish is top notch. After hours of search function it seems like the way to go on the 8:D You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't like theirs:beer;

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Is everyone running a controler with the SLP? I ride between 4000-6000 feet What type of controler? Ive kinda played with a boondocker but they seem a little hard to tune?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
pipes

I have not run a speedwerx pipe, however I do have an opinion on the SLP pipe. Performance gains are OK. They are definately not as much as claimed. Fit and finish is poor on the SLP. If I were to do it all over again knowing what I know now I would try the speedwerx setup.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I have not run a speedwerx pipe, however I do have an opinion on the SLP pipe. Performance gains are OK. They are definately not as much as claimed. Fit and finish is poor on the SLP. If I were to do it all over again knowing what I know now I would try the speedwerx setup.

I've seen over 10 m8's and many m1000 with slp setups and never seen any problems. they also work very well(maybe the best) at elevation. I have also heard good things about SW, I'd say the two are side by side from what I've heard but have never seen a SW setup. the slp you can run above 3000ft without a controller the SW i dont know. If you wanted you could add one anyway and then you would have the option of fine tuning. But because you already have SW y and can I would go with SW pipe and see what you think but ask them about the use of a fuel controller. last year there was an article in a mag that showed dyno results of 160hp from a SW pipe, you may want to find that article and see what all they did.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT

I agree, the SLP I ran last year was okay and a good value but the speedwerx quality is superior. If you look at the two side by side and handle them both you will see. I've owned both and would go with a speedwerx if I was doing it all over again.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Has anyone tried the SW pipe with an mbrp can? I have been in the same debate and cant decide what I want to do because I love my mbrp can, but you cant get the slp kit with out the can.

I ran the speedwerx pipe with a Skinz Super-Q and ran great. I know it's not an MBRP but I'm sure the results would be similar. When I did the SLP pipe set I tried a couple different cans and seemed to run better with the SLP can. I've never had a speedwerx can for my M8 but the 1000 can has worked well in the past.

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
The only thing about SW is you need a controler! But the SLP you dont.. They told me today even with an intake no controler was needed at any elevation? Who has the best prices on the SLP Kit? Im in BC canada if anyone from around here has had luck with someone. Let me know

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
I have the SLP set up and the controller really makes the system come alive. If you don't the problem I've seen is lean in the middle and rich on top.

A
Oct 21, 2008
Eagle River AK
bigcat-ak what box are you running and what settings? I'm guessing you ride similar elevations as I will, what are they? Thinking about getting a fuel box for an 09 800 SP. Do you run egt's or anything to check on how the sled is running. Got the SLP pipe set and intake ready to install on m sled. Thanks

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've seen over 10 m8's and many m1000 with slp setups and never seen any problems. they also work very well(maybe the best) at elevation. I have also heard good things about SW, I'd say the two are side by side from what I've heard but have never seen a SW setup. the slp you can run above 3000ft without a controller the SW i dont know. If you wanted you could add one anyway and then you would have the option of fine tuning. But because you already have SW y and can I would go with SW pipe and see what you think but ask them about the use of a fuel controller. last year there was an article in a mag that showed dyno results of 160hp from a SW pipe, you may want to find that article and see what all they did.

If you're going to bring the 1000 into it, that's a whole new ball game. The slp on the 1000 has given MANY people problems, but on the 8 I haven't heard of single one. On the 8 it's a great pipe that will be helped obviously by a controller to bring out that last few hp, but it's pretty cool that it doesn't NEED it! On an 8 I'd go SLP, but on the 1000, no way, I'd go SW or cutler twins.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If you're going to bring the 1000 into it, that's a whole new ball game. The slp on the 1000 has given MANY people problems, but on the 8 I haven't heard of single one. On the 8 it's a great pipe that will be helped obviously by a controller to bring out that last few hp, but it's pretty cool that it doesn't NEED it! On an 8 I'd go SLP, but on the 1000, no way, I'd go SW or cutler twins.

talking about m8's mainly, never seen a problem.
In the 1000 never seen problem with fit and finish, seen lots of blown sleds but thats from people not knowing what there doing.

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Would this be one of the first mods to do to the 07 M8? I was also thinking of the attitude box? Seems a little more user friendly!

Premium Features