• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A pipe spring and an hour of my life I won’t get back

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I can’t get the bottom pto side y pipe-pipe spring on. I have a BMP spring puller. Tried string. Tried a piece of wire. Tried a small hooked pick. Back is sore. Not happy.

On other sleds I would move the pipe that direction and put that spring on first. I don’t think a guy can really move/tilt the pipe any direction to help out because of the little spear mount deal under the front of the pipe.

Anyone have any advice? I’ve fought springs before but never like this one, I just can’t get a good angle on it.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
image.jpg this is my custom tool have pulled springs on gen 4&5 turbos. 1/2 steel rod about 2 feet long with hooks for springs on the end. That bmp puller will get it done, what I do is hook the spring then use the horizontal frame support to pry the thing out.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
It’s a real pain, had mine off replacing a lower a-arm. Only way I could get it back on was pull the spring and put a couple screw drivers in the stretched spring to keep it stretched. Then used a long piece of baling twine to pull the spring into place.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks Turbo Thompson, got it. The fifth pry bar I tried must have had the right bend. I also notched out the pipe cover a little to get the puller over just a little farther, I think that helped as well.

I haven’t had a Doo since 2011. They were terrible to work on then… and they are terrible to work on now. Not looking forward to having to do that in a cold azz parking lot or trailer sometime.

Side note, I see theres some guys who’ve had the big pipe sensor back out and wreck the hood. That doesn’t surprise me, its goes from super loose to feeling about as tight as its gonna get in about 1/16th of a turn. Just doesn’t feel right.

E11B43D6-0130-42C5-B306-744AE487E573.jpeg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
You would push on the top of the bar which pulls the spring with a pivot point in there.
Yep I gotchya, I meant pulling or pushing the spring itself with the puller. After looking at it, it was obvious the only way was to pull the spring, and push on the pry bar.

Premium Features