• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Smaller Rider on a 154"

C
Jan 16, 2023
Squamish
Hi,

This is my third season sledding. I bought a 2017 Summit 850 SP 165" track in April 2021. Got about 5 rides that season with just buddies showing me the ropes. Last winter, I didn't get to ride too much as I was travelling for work, probably another 5 days. This year, I've been riding a lot more and I've taken several courses. Skills are finally progressing. My G4 just turned over 4,000 kms. I plan to get a new sled for next season. I think I want to get a Summit X (non-Expert) with a 154" track or maybe a Summit Edge. I plan to buy used so I'll see what's available.

Where I live, 165" track is by far the most common. With that being said, I only weigh 150 lbs. which is why I'm leaning towards the shorter track. From what I've read, they are a bit more maneuverable but require more momentum. I've also read they are more wheelie prone but that can be adjusted out. Everyone tells me to get a 165" track but most of the guys telling me this are 50+ lbs. heavier than I am. Some opinions on either track length would be appreciated.

Thanks

C
Mar 5, 2018
I think I agree with what you have read. Norona will probably chime in here but the consensus (and what I have seen) is that a longer track sled is easier to ride for newer riders who are tentative with the throttle, because you have more margin to do dumb things without getting stuck. This is magnified for smaller people, in a good way. OTOH a longer sled might make it harder to progress to re-entries/ ski-in-the-air manuevers/ a more playful riding style. Are you getting good enough to want more of a challenge/ to want a much more playful sled? Are you really comfortable being aggressive on the throttle and carrying more momentum now?

Another thing to consider: Are you a better rider than your riding buddies, or worse? If your buddies are all telling you to stick with a 165, to me that says you are trying to hang with mostly better riders who don't want to dig you out as much! But if they will tolerate you learning and you desire to challenge yourself more, or you are riding with less skilled riders, then maybe 154 is the answer. I currently ride a 154 and my newer/ less skilled buddies are all on 165's, which I appreciate as we spend more time doing fun stuff and less time digging them out. Not to say I am some sort of hero but 20 yrs experience is hard to replicate.

Other factors which would be helpful to know is where do you ride and what are most of your typical snow conditions?

S
Mar 18, 2018
Get the 154”, unless you’re running deep powder more often than not you’ll appreciate the 154”. Yes need to carry a little more momentum in certain scenarios but once you’ve gained that confidence you won’t look back. A 154” will carry more track speed as well which is a positive also- just my 2 cents!

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
A 154 will be harder to ride over your 165, I think you will be just fine on a 154. Weight does matter but that’s not the reason why I chose 165’s all of these years and I only owned 1 154.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
You’re on the right track with everything you said.

At 150lbs a 154 should do the job and be more fun.

Like said above just be aware of your skill level vs the guys you ride with. You will get stuck more on a 154 than you would on a 165. If they are better riders than you and you are on a shorter sled you might struggle on really deep days.

C
Jan 16, 2023
Squamish
I think I agree with what you have read. Norona will probably chime in here but the consensus (and what I have seen) is that a longer track sled is easier to ride for newer riders who are tentative with the throttle, because you have more margin to do dumb things without getting stuck. This is magnified for smaller people, in a good way. OTOH a longer sled might make it harder to progress to re-entries/ ski-in-the-air manuevers/ a more playful riding style. Are you getting good enough to want more of a challenge/ to want a much more playful sled? Are you really comfortable being aggressive on the throttle and carrying more momentum now?

Another thing to consider: Are you a better rider than your riding buddies, or worse? If your buddies are all telling you to stick with a 165, to me that says you are trying to hang with mostly better riders who don't want to dig you out as much! But if they will tolerate you learning and you desire to challenge yourself more, or you are riding with less skilled riders, then maybe 154 is the answer. I currently ride a 154 and my newer/ less skilled buddies are all on 165's, which I appreciate as we spend more time doing fun stuff and less time digging them out. Not to say I am some sort of hero but 20 yrs experience is hard to replicate.

Other factors which would be helpful to know is where do you ride and what are most of your typical snow conditions?
I live in Squamish so I ride Bhrom, Brandywine, Rutherford, Hurley, etc. Elevations usually range from 1,400 to 2,200 masl. Coastal snow so its heavier on average compared to the interior. I'm getting fairly comfortable using a lot of throttle. I've ridden dirtbikes since I was a kid so not new at all to motorsports.

My buddies are, on average, slightly better than me at this point. I don't think they're telling me to get the 165 because of skill level. It's the same people who all insisted that I had to be on a 300 cc two stroke dirtbike. I bought a 250 two stroke instead and there's very little difference.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I'm a 154 guy. They are easier and harder. Quicker handling and you have to stay on top of it more. Less forgiving. Puting them on edge is about the same. I think shorter is more fun. Ideally it would be nice for both. Kind of like a turbo and na. When snow is deep there is no replacement for a turbo or longer track. I put my wife on a 174 years ago. She didn't want it but tried it and ultimately had more fun because she wasn't stuck. Even had another gal that was on a 154 and was stuck all day. She was starting to get down in the dumps. For me, it was awesome when really deep, but i wouldn’t want to ride it all year long. If you don't mind a challenge go 154. Best of both worlds would be 165. All depends on what you are mainly doing.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A 154 won't hold you back at 150lbs IMHO. I started sledding on a 162 and dropped to a 154 in 2014. 5 sleds later I've never felt the need to go back up in track length. But the turbo helps too ;)

Dave rides those same exact areas and may be better qualified to suggest a sled length. I know you guys get those huge storms from time to time!

F

firstkitty

Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
I’ve had every track length skidoo offered in the last 25 years I keep going back to 154 in the old revs 151 was my favourite also.
There’s no right or wrong if it suits your riding style that’s all that matters

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I'd also say go 154. I'm 225 and ride a 154 just for the playfulness. I give something up on deep days, but in for me those are not that often.

C
Mar 5, 2018
Thanks for your reply OP, this is of course an endless debate, it's never perfect, and people will offer many opinions without context. I hear what you are saying on the friends who will always say "bigger is better," it can be annoying when you know you are fine on lighter equipment. I think I would be a lot more interested in a turbo if I weighed 100 lbs more. It sounds like you are interested in trying a 154, so why not. Something not mentioned yet is if you get a 154 with the short tunnel/taller spindles/ narrower sled etc. (all the improvements since 17) that will all help with fewer stucks too. It also sounds like you're not scared of the throttle, which is good, cuz you need to be quick on the trigger to take advantage of the track speed. That also often requires you to be quicker on the brake/ quicker to weight shift and anticipate more.

I think either track length would work in your general area although I bet there is a slight preference for 165's on average. If I was in your position I guess I would just try and be honest about who you mostly ride with and what a typical day looks like. Trying to follow slightly better buddies thru the gnar in tight trees, with low ground speed? Or pull big climbs to get in/out of zones? 165 all day. Going to jump more, play around more, try to do dumb **** with the skis in the air? 154. Just want a challenge and a different ice cream flavor? 154. You can always sell it if ya don't like it.

C
Jan 16, 2023
Squamish
Thanks for the responses everyone. It sounds like 165 is the safer choice but 154 would be fine as well. I'll try to ride a quick ride sometime this season on a 154. My buddy just picked up a Lynx Shredder in 154, not quite apples to apples but should give me an idea. Realistically, what I end up getting will depend on what I can find. I plan to buy a lightly used G5 at the end of the season.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Thanks for the responses everyone. It sounds like 165 is the safer choice but 154 would be fine as well. I'll try to ride a quick ride sometime this season on a 154. My buddy just picked up a Lynx Shredder in 154, not quite apples to apples but should give me an idea. Realistically, what I end up getting will depend on what I can find. I plan to buy a lightly used G5 at the end of the season.

The more Interesting thing with a G5 is the 165 actually has a 154 tunnel, easy to convert to a 154.

Premium Features