• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Twins VS BMP Stage 2 kit

C
Dec 14, 2020
Just hit yourself with a hammer, and go ride. It'll be the same amount of pain, but much easier on the wallet.

Chadley has a good point. Look at what guys like Kaleb do to their sleds and where they can go. You'll be a far more accomplished rider just getting better on the sled than spending all your time trying to get it to run correctly with 1mph more track speed.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Just hit yourself with a hammer, and go ride. It'll be the same amount of pain, but much easier on the wallet.

Chadley has a good point. Look at what guys like Kaleb do to their sleds and where they can go. You'll be a far more accomplished rider just getting better on the sled than spending all your time trying to get it to run correctly with 1mph more track speed.
The above nails it! Watch Muskoka Matt on a bone stock 9R or Caleb or Keith Curtis. The new generation of sleds are unbelievably capable with a skilled rider onboard.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I definitely agree that aftermarket performance parts mostly exist for use to throw money at and see little benefit from - even if they do everything promised. But the same goes for new sleds: how many guys are out there on Boosts who'd be doing the same things in the same places if they were riding a 650? Funny how these "has anyone tried ----?" threads always get responses of "just ride it stock and work on your technique!"

Generally, there just isn't much power left on the table with a single pipe anymore, but changes to the powerband may be to your advantage (or it could be the opposite, especially if the pipe makes the power peaky). You're more likely to see gains in terms of weight loss than power, but if the heat insulation isn't close to the OE pipe, it may not be worth it. Twin pipes are a different story. There are legitimate gains to be made, and there's no magic in modern motors that changes the physics behind those gains. The trouble is, SLP pushed them out when their mapping was half-baked, and other tweaks are necessary to get the most out of them; you'll find a lot of disappointed reports from people hoping for simple bolt-up-and-go gains. There are a couple threads in the 850 section worth digging through. I don't personally run a set, but if/when I end up with an 850, I probably will. Even if I can't make them work, I live just up the road from the man who can... and has.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I'm gonna jump on the mod hate game?

In my entirely scientific method or findings. The less molded a guys sled is pretty much a newbie who judt got a sled or a very good rider. Guys in the middle ground with thousands in mods generally just need to ride more to get better. Instead they convince themselves more power or handling or whatever widget's they need will make them better. And also generally speaking they don't have the mechanical aptitude to make the parts work proper or maintain the sled ao it generally runs worse or less consistently resulting in a more challenging riding experience and less progress.

I'm close friends with a guy who runs clinics. His experience is the guys with the most modded sleds usually have the worst time and take away the least from the clinic as they are ****ing with sleds the whole time or sleds break ans they have to miss lots of it.

Just my .02

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I totally agree. Stock is pretty darn good these days. I'll admit there are mods that I do just to do but Ryan McConnell put it best with the t-shirts he sells.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
The sleds of today are really good from the factory. Things have come a longways from what it was. Most of the time a person just needs to setup a sled for them and there riding style. Some handle bar movement brake lever change (stock Matryx one is awful) for me. I think persoanal setings and adjustments are way more important than throwing money at something to make it work. There are tons of small FREE little things a person can do. The other things like wraps and hoods and different color combos is what makes it fun to do and makes it your own. Twin pipes sound cool and cans sound good also. I have noticed that I kind of like the stock sound better at times. Is the weight savings of a can really that big of deal anymore? Sometimes the fit is not the best either. I have seen pipes rub bumpers exhaust leaks. Just some thoughts. The biggest thing in this whole sled world is build what you want to ride how you want to and be happy with it, This is a good time sport. It sure is fun to push the throttle.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
If you're just throwing $XXXX kind of upgrade money at a sled, start with suspension.

Clutching is fairly inexpensive. Same with a can. Those are obvious, and changing pipes would require clutching modifications.

ECU flashes and tuning are more logical (and easier to uninstall) than pipes.

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Well, my old Pro is a Frankenstein of mods, and until it lost a piston (with an estimated 1500 miles on the top end), I had no issues. I actually run a stock can though: just not as much weight to lose on a Pro, and no gains in power at elevation. I get what people are saying about heavily modded sleds often being a waste of time and money, but for some of us, tinkering is an impossible draw and part of the fun. Just like riding, some people are really good at it, some people suck at it. Kind of like twin pipes: done right, there are gains to be had without any big losses, but nobody really "needs" them. Can't see where anybody "needs" a 9R either...

I've never been to a clinic, but even I'd laugh at someone constantly opening their hood - get your sled running right first, or rent one, otherwise you're throwing away money. On good snow days, I just ride and don't mess with anything unless it's a quick change. I can see why super aggressive riders would stick more to stock: you break stuff more often, and parts are (hopefully) more available. But on the other hand, when they have the resources, they do gravitate to modded sleds. Look at Burandt: seems like he's got several highly modded sleds, and maybe things like his clutching kits sell more on his name, but I can't imagine that he would go to the trouble to come up with it and still ride around with stock clutching. So that begs the question: when are you guys who love to tell us not to waste money on trinkets gonna get up the courage to tell Chris Burandt the same thing, and to stop taking advantage of us poor misguided children?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I probably talk more trash to Chris than all of his other customers combined ?That's probably why he doesn't like me, won't repsond to my texts, and puts me through the absolute ringer when I ride with him ?

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
Well, my old Pro is a Frankenstein of mods, and until it lost a piston (with an estimated 1500 miles on the top end), I had no issues. I actually run a stock can though: just not as much weight to lose on a Pro, and no gains in power at elevation. I get what people are saying about heavily modded sleds often being a waste of time and money, but for some of us, tinkering is an impossible draw and part of the fun. Just like riding, some people are really good at it, some people suck at it. Kind of like twin pipes: done right, there are gains to be had without any big losses, but nobody really "needs" them. Can't see where anybody "needs" a 9R either...

I've never been to a clinic, but even I'd laugh at someone constantly opening their hood - get your sled running right first, or rent one, otherwise you're throwing away money. On good snow days, I just ride and don't mess with anything unless it's a quick change. I can see why super aggressive riders would stick more to stock: you break stuff more often, and parts are (hopefully) more available. But on the other hand, when they have the resources, they do gravitate to modded sleds. Look at Burandt: seems like he's got several highly modded sleds, and maybe things like his clutching kits sell more on his name, but I can't imagine that he would go to the trouble to come up with it and still ride around with stock clutching. So that begs the question: when are you guys who love to tell us not to waste money on trinkets gonna get up the courage to tell Chris Burandt the same thing, and to stop taking advantage of us poor misguided children?
Preach, brother, preach.

C
Dec 14, 2020

Notice his mod sled is 90% dropping weight, 10% carls getting the power dialed and him adjusting clutching.

I get the tinkering.

I don't get the missing out on good days fighting with mods trying to get them dialed.

Premium Features