• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Pipe ---Bikeman Pipe --BDX Pipe Mod

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
So I wanted to start this thread about the three pipe options I have tried on my Axys 155 2.6 QD. All riding is 9000 ft. or above. A majority of the days have been in no less than 1 1/2' of new powder. If it makes a difference I'm probably 180# with all gear on.

10-60 Polaris weights, Blk/Grn Primary Spring. I like this spring feels like it smooths out the power band.

1. Ran the SLP pipe with a Jaws race can, it gained several hundred RPM's from stock but was too loud for my taste..... easy to see over 8500 rpm.

2. Ran the SLP with a Skinz Super Q, I felt like it lost a 100 or so in RPM but the sound level was much more tolerable. Still able to hit 8450 to 8500 on occasion.

3. Ditched the SLP due to breakage and put on Bikeman pipe with the Super Q.... RPM's consistent with the SLP/Skinz combination. Really can't tell any difference.

4. Just received the stock pipe back from BDX with their mod, am hoping to get it on snow this week. stay tuned. I've attached pictures of the pipe mod, they cut the pipe in the middle and there is a small 1/2" band of metal there. Trust me putting the heat shield back on isn't as easy at you may think. (sorry for the poor quality of the photos)

I have not changed clutch weights from the 60's, it ramps up to the 8400-8500 really fast so thinking I will play with some MDS weights and start paying attention to track speed.

IMG_2457.jpg IMG_2459.jpg

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I have ran the SLP pipe and can for about 15 hours, and have now ran the Bikeman pipe and SLP can for around 3 hours. My sled is a 163/2.6 and my primary riding area is 8-9k feet in elevation. My baseline clutching is:

SLP blue/pink primary
68 gram MTX Weights
Stock helix
Purple/black secondary spring

I haven't ran the stock pipe since my sled was broken in, but for comparison purposes SLP says the stock pipe with their can should pull 68 gram MTX weights with 2 grams in the tip (70 grams total) at 8200-8300 rpm at 8-10 k elevation.

With the SLP pipe I have been running the 68 gram MTX weights with 3 grams in the tip (71 grams total) at 8300-8400 rpm in a fresh powder steep climb. This is the same setup SLP recommends for my elevation, with the exception that they recommend the stock black secondary spring and I'm running the purple/black. The setup works very well. So by adding the SLP pipe and can you add 1 more gram of weight in the tip and still gain 100 rpm over stock.

With the Bikeman pipe and SLP can I wanted to test the reports that it produced more power than the SLP pipe, so I put 3 grams of weight in the belly to go along with the 3 grams in the tip (74 grams total). This is the maximum amount of weight you can add to the 68 gram MTX weights. Using this setup I was pulling 8250-8350 rpm in steep climbs in untracked powder. The snow conditions were excellent for testing, as we had a fair amount of fresh snow over the past week. I would say the snow conditions today were a little heavier than normal, so it was putting a good load on the motor. So with the Bikeman pipe I added 3 grams of weight to the belly over what I was running with the SLP pipe, and only lost 50 rpm. Changing to 2 grams in the belly should get me at least another 50 rpm, and should easily pull in the target 8300-8400 rpm range.

As far as track speed goes, it's difficult to make an apples to apples comparison because of different different days/different conditions. But I can say when I reset the speedometer function to measure top speed that with the SLP pipe I have never seen over 40 mph on a steep climb with little or no run that put a heavy load on the motor. In these same type of conditions I never saw less than 41 mph with the Bikeman.

Based on my experience, the sled runs great with both pipes. Crisp from bottom to top, and no hiccups or flat spots anywhere. The Dyno sheets for both pipes show that they make 2-3 hp less than the stock pipe in the 7250-7750 rpm range, but you would never guess it running them on the snow. This is a non-issue in my mind. They both pull hard from bottom to top.

You can't go wrong with either pipe IMO. If you are looking for maximum weight loss, go with the SLP. If you looking for the biggest power gain, the Bikeman was the strongest in my testing.

Last edited:
S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
So I wanted to start this thread about the three pipe options I have tried on my Axys 155 2.6 QD. All riding is 9000 ft. or above. A majority of the days have been in no less than 1 1/2' of new powder. If it makes a difference I'm probably 180# with all gear on.

10-60 Polaris weights, Blk/Grn Primary Spring. I like this spring feels like it smooths out the power band.

1. Ran the SLP pipe with a Jaws race can, it gained several hundred RPM's from stock but was too loud for my taste..... easy to see over 8500 rpm.

2. Ran the SLP with a Skinz Super Q, I felt like it lost a 100 or so in RPM but the sound level was much more tolerable. Still able to hit 8450 to 8500 on occasion.

3. Ditched the SLP due to breakage and put on Bikeman pipe with the Super Q.... RPM's consistent with the SLP/Skinz combination. Really can't tell any difference.

4. Just received the stock pipe back from BDX with their mod, am hoping to get it on snow this week. stay tuned. I've attached pictures of the pipe mod, they cut the pipe in the middle and there is a small 1/2" band of metal there. Trust me putting the heat shield back on isn't as easy at you may think. (sorry for the poor quality of the photos)

I have not changed clutch weights from the 60's, it ramps up to the 8400-8500 really fast so thinking I will play with some MDS weights and start paying attention to track speed.

I just bought the blk grn primary today and hoping to get good results with it, glad to hear its working for your application.

Premium Features