• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shot start vs Elec. start

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I'm bummed to find out that all Summit edges are coming with electric start instead of shot. I really wanted the shot...I think. Am I making too big a deal out of it? I'm thinking of holding out to see if I can locate a spring order expert or x just for the shot.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
I'm bummed to find out that all Summit edges are coming with electric start instead of shot. I really wanted the shot...I think. Am I making too big a deal out of it? I'm thinking of holding out to see if I can locate a spring order expert or x just for the shot.

When I bought my 19 X I could care less about shot. Sled started 1st pull every time. But now I have had it I won’t go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twistgrip

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2012
Shot is awesome, but if you end up getting one with electric start I would put a recoil on it for back up.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Dont be bummed until the sled arrives. Doo also said the two button gauge was going to be replaced with the compact gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I prefer SHOT. But, if I had to take the sled with electric start, I'd doo a lithium lightweight battery and just pull start one time when really cold and be good the rest of the day to his the button like SHOT.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Id still take estart over shot, but being forced down the shot road no choice, I have lots of cold cold starts in a small trailer and reaching in and pushing the button is so nice
pulling the rode when shes a ice block always makes me nervous with the **** recoils doo gives us ect. few lbs but who cares....e start is awesome and dont look back!

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
E-start will be reliable so long as you pay attention to the battery. Adding the recoil as a back up is really a waste of time in my opinion as using a rope on the primary is your back up pull start.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Maybe the G5 will be different with the integral clutch guard and side panel but on a G4 there is no way I'd want to try to get the clutch guard back on with it running. I know it sucks to pay for a pull starter but they are easy to install.

M
Dec 11, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I have a 2020 Summit 850 with an electric starter because I though my girlfriend would take it occasionally. Never had an issue and I didn't put a recoil starter.
I couldn't find the real number but the popular number is that an electric starter adds 25 pounds to a sled. It also costed me around 600$ to add the starter if my memory is right..
It costed 350$ CAN for a lithium battery that saved 12.5 pounds compared to the stock YTX20HL-BS. Still amazed it started perfectly at -20°C.
That being said, my 2023 will have the SHOT because it starts as well as the electric starter but will cost me less money and save around 10 pounds even when compared with a 2.5 pounds lithium battery. Not a big deal but still better in my opinion.

Last edited:

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
Nothing wrong with having estart and like many have said, I'd add the pull start to it for backup. Trying to put the guard back on while the engine is running can be a tricky deal if you pull start using the clutch, which I did on my Expedition a couple weeks ago and putting the clutch cover back on was a bit scary.

Last edited:
Premium Features