• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMSHA Racers Needed!

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Time to do it. Id love to give it a crack. Raced some amateur races a few years back it was a blast. Love to be able to do it all the time.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
After MSSHA folded we thought about racing with RMSHA but the distances were too far. We are too old to race now but just a couple of considerations... consider the side by side racing like MSSHA had as well as a double or two on the hill. Racing at the ski hills are best as you have lots of snow and no dirt...

S

SSF108

Apr 24, 2008
We need to race at Mt Rose, NV. Their Environmental Impact study is complete and I think they would take use back. The chutes and hill we raced in 2000 were great. Kirkwood is great!
We need to race in CA, WA, OR, and MT.
We need more race hills like Jackson, Afton and Pebble Creek.
For the sport to grow it has to expand geographically.
Travel is tough. My ideas take me farther away from home but that is what it will take.
For the sport to grow...we really need a functioning economy.

Below are only ideas not my beliefs. Would this work?
Amateurs & Semi-Pro..are no more. Pro across the board. Entries go to $75
Classes: (fewer)
6 stock, 8 stock,
6 super stock, 8 super stock
6 mod, 8 mod...no turbos?
8 and Open Mod- Turbo.
Vintage: 136" or less...tube chassis triples wanted!
Qualify 50% like we started in 2012.
Pay to 10th place.

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
All very good ideas and this is what Im looking for. I totaly agree with the cost of travel I think that is the one big killer with this type of racing. I hope to help make this sport grow. The manufactures do have the power and money to help but to convince them is the other thing to overcome. I know without more racers then the sport will die fast I have seen it already. Most important is making the sport fun and keeping the racers around that try it one time but have no reason to continue. How about the idea of adding a Amature class to the mix for the new riders with progression to semi pro with overall top placing as the factor to do so. Keep up the good ideas. Board meetings are in June sometime to bring these to the table

I think making the sport easy to get into is important. I have been racing my stock sled in all three Semi-Pro classes for the last few years and it has worked well. At Sandpoint there was talk of making those who race stock sleds in the Mod class run clutch and brake guards to meet the Mod rules for 2013. This does not make sense, these guards are for safety, if the sled is safe without them in the stock class and nothing on the sled changes it should be safe in the Mod Class. This is just and example but it is things like this that make it hard for new guys to get into the sport.

I think an amateur class would be a great idea, make it simple and allow new guys to be more competitive. Some of the races already offer this, it would be great to have it at every race and allow them to earn points. (I have raced desert and motocross and both have at least three class levels)

Another idea to help new racers would be to have a contact person specifically for new racers. Put there name, phone number and e-mail address on the web site. I know for me I had a lot of questions when I started and did not really know who to ask. Now that I have been with RMSHA for a few years I have learned a lot of things that I wish someone would have told me before I started.

More manufacture support would be great but it is all advertising to them, getting races closer to large populations would help with this and also help bring the races closer to more racers but that is easier said than done.

Thanks for your all your hard work to try and grow the sport. There is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes to put on a good race series. Racing RMSHA is a lot of fun! I too hope the sport will grow. If there is anything i can do to help let me know.

Keith

Last edited:

109RMSHA

Nov 9, 2011
On the traviling to all the great locatons that would be awsome as long as added money takes us there. Not one new local racer raced either semi pro or pro at sand point from what I was told just amature entries. On the all pro subject I think you realy need the three classification or the new guy will get beat to much and that is no fun for them and they quit for good. They are the ones that will make the sport grow the Pros dont realy make the sport grow. Just my opinion. By the way sorry for my bad spelling.

109RMSHA

Nov 9, 2011
Thanks as for the clutch cover rule that wont fly dont know where that all started but dont believe it, I hope to have a early season rider clinic type thing to have all that whant to try can come learn of all the rules and get pointers from willing Pros that want to help, maybe have full gated hill and timing set up . I think that might help.

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks as for the clutch cover rule that wont fly dont know where that all started but dont believe it, I hope to have a early season rider clinic type thing to have all that whant to try can come learn of all the rules and get pointers from willing Pros that want to help, maybe have full gated hill and timing set up . I think that might help.

The clutch cover rule came from tech at Sandpoint. They were trying to disqualify the semi-pros that were running there stock sleds in the improved stock class this way. We talked to Rich Gladfelder and got it worked out to were we were not getting disqualified but he said that rule will have to change for next year. Hope it doesn't change.
As for the early season rider clinic, I think that would be a great idea.

S

SSF108

Apr 24, 2008
Ideas

Keep em coming. More ideas help.
Great blog.
We don't need a lot of change. We need to "shine" what we have.
Three classes is great.
Added money... Even better.
Tech needs to be....tech. Not a check numbers, let door mat mud flaps go or clutch cover bs. My guess is half the pro covers are not legal thickness. Stock bumped does NOT need guards or covers.
I have raced skis, mtn bikes and snowmobiles for 25 years. Hillclimb snowmobile racing one of the greatest sports in the world. We just need more people to recognize it.
I am proud of RMSHA. Times are tough and if we can survive this economic downturn it will survive forever.

I
Dec 10, 2008
Coming from ovals, I remember when I raced Hillclimbs in the early 90's, and it was +$100 per class, then there was no practice run, which I soon learned is the event cluture...and in less than a minute.....it was over. Not a lot of bang for the buck.

Fast forward 2012, ovals are back in Colorado thanks to XMR and I couldn't be happier, practice runs, multiple heats and a main, and the cost is a whole lot cheaper. At the end of the day, you're shredded from racing all day.

Not interested in a $purse prize, but interested in Trophies, as one will never make a living from racing sleds.....so just make it fun.

X
Nov 26, 2007
Ideas

I was the person that did the Sandpoint Sledfest event,the RMSHA part was put together on my end 5 days before the event it was not an easy task but all in all it went very well and could be even better with more time to plan,I think the future of snowmobile racing is to have multiple events at the right locations,Hillcross has been a good turnout the past 3 years and brings the locals out to give it a try,added purse could be put together with more time to plan,you need to keep the spectators interested ,they liked the Hillclimbs for a while and then they were getting bored,Hillcross and Snowbikes they really liked,it just needs to be mixed up to keep them interested,these events cost a lot of money and then end result it paid its way except for the slimeball that stole all my banners that I was putting in a box while taking all the fence down sunday night.I am talking with RMSHA for next year and have the date scheduled with the resort,this resort is a great reference for other ski areas for future events,I know it was a long distance for people to go to race and thanks foor everyone that supported it

Sundance Kid

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2001
Black Hills
Being around the block more than once with snowmobile racing, my personal experience is that you have to cut back on the number of classes. Everytime any type of racing, ovals, drags, snocross, etc, has decided they need to offer more classes so more people can race, they have started the downhill spiral of death. I personally experienced it with ovals, drags and snocross. Now I'm experiencing the same thing with local and regional kart racing. Guaranteed to kill it everytime. seen it, lived it and that's why they teach history, so we don't repeat the same stupid mistakes.

I've never been to any of your regular events, only the Jackson Hole Hill Climb, so I don't know how well they run. Looking at the results for years, I'm impressed with the number of entries you have. Especially compared to the supposed big time Snocross circuit in the mid-west. So you must be doing something right!!! Kudos to you guys that put in countless hours of behind the scenes work to make it all happen.
I know it's always nice to be growing but with the state of the economy, I'm pretty impressed with how many entries you have for a weekend event. This is just an outsiders view looking in from the numbers. For what it worth, theirs my 2 cents.

109RMSHA

Nov 9, 2011
You are dead on with that info I agree. We have classes for Pro 700 wich no sled is produced of that cc anymore so wy have it. I realy thank you for all the input keep it coming. I plan turning in this full post to the board to help make things better.

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
It WAS spread out!

My first and last times racing in RMSHA was in 2005 at Antelope Butte in the Big Horns,WY & Red Lodge, MT. After that Adams stepped down as president and whoever took over (can’t remember) scrapped those races. Leaving the only races in the little corner of UT, ID and WY. You don’t get good exposure if your only in one area, make it spread out like it was.

S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
CA,OR,NV would be AWESOME. I could get my foot in the door with something like that for sure. Maybe a first year class then any following years go semi or pro?

N
May 17, 2008
B.C.
If the manufactures stepped up more we could see the sport boom.
Here's just an idea....
15 to 20 (or however many needed) sleds provided by the mfgs.
A few stockers, a few improvers. Set up in similar fashions for the weight and size of the riders.
Each racers buys their own insurance.
Each racer fixes the broken parts.
Each racer must qualify to ride the factory sleds.
Wanna ride mods...build it and show up in your pickup.
Driving to the races in a Geo with your gear bag..now were talking!

I'm not driving all that way in a geo bud, but if the manufactures DID step up (like they used to) alot of guys and gals would at least make an effort to get to races. I know I would. The shared sled idea is the best I've heard as far as cutting costs. Bragging rights for the manufactures and the racers would be greater as well. Good thread.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
are the races still a Friday Saturday affair? If that is still the case that is a killer for us that leave on Friday to race the weekend and then stumble home on Sunday night to work on Monday.

"Going rounds" as the Colorado racer was talking about and oval racing is spot on.... thus the suggestion of two runs up the hill like MSSHA did.

As I said before are time for hillclimb racing is past which :brokenheart: That being said we now race NHRA on a couple of hot rod triple powered snowmobiles drag racing against cars or motorcycles. The reason I bring this up is for two racers it is $100 a day, at least two practice runs, and then as many runs you need to get to the finish. The next day (Sunday) is a new day and a new race, another $100 for two racers and we are off and running

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Board meeting is comming up on the 28th and hope for some last minute ideas from you guys

Best way to hear what is planned for the upcoming season and a great way to meet the new board members and other racers. I plan on attending especially since it's so close. A lot of things that will be proposed wouldn't go into effect until the following year, but I think it will be an advantage to know what is going to go into effect this season. Check out the RMSHA FB page for more info on the meeting.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Here's one more for you Justin. LCQ for Pro AND Semi-Pro classes. Proposing this format for Semi-Pro instead of the hillcross style multi-rider shootout that has been used for Pros.

Take the Top 2 non-qualifiers from each heat of Stock, Improved, and Mod.
Run them individually up whatever lane finishes first for the day.
Take the #1 time from each heat that was re-run.

This will only take the time similar to running a small class i.e. 700 Stock and would put a couple more riders into finals in each class. I know some hills like Afton would have a harder time constraint to fit into, but most races would have ample time and light to pull it off. OR let each race promoter determine whether they want to incorporate an LCQ. Something like that would be nice especially if we start seeing a lot of new racers entering the circuit. Just a thought.

N
May 17, 2008
B.C.
Well it seems logical to dump the three 700 classes, its been a few years since any manufacturers have built one and probly won't again. Qualifying 50% of the racers will generate more revenue for the promoter on the finals day. With dropping a few classes there will be time for a vintage class for old school sleds. I know that everytime the old farts bring out the old hillclimb sleds with straight pipes with 136 tracks the fans and racers all love to watch them go. Maybe have a stock and mod vintage? 20 years and older? These kind of things bring more entertainment to the fans. I know these have been addressed here and after reading this entire thread these seem to me like the best ideas. Just my two bits.

Last edited:
Premium Features